PDA

View Full Version : Fence Panels

Rollingthunder
8th Feb 2004, 23:27
Mum's fence has taken quite a battering this winter. It's actually concrete block construction with wooden panel inserts in the upper area made up of strips of wood in the top section measuring around 30"X24". These have suffered badly.

Are these sections available to buy pre-made to slot in or do they have to be built individually and tediously?

HugMonster
8th Feb 2004, 23:35
Easy to buy - almost any decent garden centre will sell 'em.

PilotsPal
9th Feb 2004, 06:40
A decent timber merchant will be cheaper than any of the big DIY places and will usually deliver. Replaced all mine a year ago, and was treated to the sight of my ultra-mean neighbours rushing out to grab the discarded old ones and use them to replace their even more knackered panels on the other side.

Jinkster
9th Feb 2004, 06:59
Easy to buy - almost any decent garden centre will sell 'em.

and any descent gust of wind will fetch them down again.

reynoldsno1
9th Feb 2004, 10:00
Did the same for my Mum a couple of years ago - the UK must produce some of the crappiest garden fencing in the world, all built to last a lunch time....

Anthony Carn
9th Feb 2004, 15:32
Out of sheer lack of interest/can't be @rsed to do anything better, I buy ready made panels and add 400% to the life by whizzing a few woodscrews into appropriate places before erection.

In fact, in a perfect world the erection should come before the screwing, but you can't have everything.

In fact the erection should come before the screwing, followed by the coming.

In fact..........OWW !! :ouch:

angels
9th Feb 2004, 15:53
This what I love about Ppruning.

Only here will you get a thread talking about ruddy wood panels above a post about someone's nearest and dearest barfing all over the bedroom due to excess alcohol intake.

And only Mr.Carn can come up (ooh, matron!) with sexual innuendo in a ruddy wood panel post! :ok:

MadsDad
9th Feb 2004, 22:47
Normally it is the right hand fence (as you stand with your back to the wall) and the fence at the end of the garden (end of garden often being shared with people other side of fence).

But it can vary. Only way to be certain is to check the deeds of the property.

teeteringhead
9th Feb 2004, 23:06
Not always clear from the deeds for the uninitiated. On the map there should be an arrow or a "T" going from your property to the fences/walls you are responsible for.

Like many things Briddish - there's no discernable logic. I have known houses where all the fences were yours, and where none were....

BUMPFF
10th Feb 2004, 01:19
The finished side of the fence (i.e. the best side) should face the owner's property.

M.Mouse
10th Feb 2004, 04:01
Errr.....actually completely the opposite. Trust me.

Paracab
10th Feb 2004, 09:11
BUMPFF,

M.Mouse is absolutely right, a friend works for a long established fencing company and it is tradition and courtesy to give the neighbours the best/finished side.

reynoldsno1
10th Feb 2004, 10:03
There are ways of putting a fence together, so that it looks the same either side.... they're called "neighbour friendly" fences in NZ ....
.... or you could go the US way, and not have any fences at all...

BUMPFF
11th Feb 2004, 00:45
Thanks, Paracab and M. Mouse. Would you like to come round and explain that to my neighnour? He's a big, ugly bloke.

airship
11th Feb 2004, 22:36
When I go round to my local fence, there's just him, like, and no panel...Errr, maybe I got the wrong end of the stick.

This should contribute to my unparalled and hitherto unrecognised record of having the greatest frequency of ultimate posts to threads since joining PPRuNe. :rolleyes: