PDA

View Full Version : Industrial action Perth??

SkySista
8th Feb 2004, 13:37
Am at Perth domestic at the moment, apparently the baggage handlers have walked off the job, refusing to load or unload bags onto flights, resulting in delays to outbound flights.

Anyone know what's going on? why they're doing this? tons of people everywhere, not happy, pilots sitting around the place.

Does not seem to be affecting DJ ops.

just curious...

Sky

Sue Ridgepipe
9th Feb 2004, 06:06
Heard on the news this morning it was about QF wanting to increase the working hours allocated to contract labourers.:hmm:

SkySista
9th Feb 2004, 10:11
Yeah - got home and saw on the news that it was about job security etc. I guess it does happen a lot - Ive just never been there to see the effects to a couple planeloads of pax before.

Channel 7 even had a chopper out filiming it. Or it may have been the fact that the RAAF BBJ was out here then.

Was mildly funny... "Hey, there goes my bag..... why's it stopped? Where are those people going?"

Though I fully sympathise with getting a big delay.

Anyone know what the result was? (Haven't seen anything on tv as yet)

Sky

topend3
9th Feb 2004, 12:06
Does not seem to be affecting DJ ops

that's right, dj uses a non-union ground handling contractor.

what these qantas people don't realise is that at the end of they day they are just hurting themselves and handing market-share to the opposition, like the 300 odd people sitting in the A330 on a taxiway for around an hour due to there being no free bays for their aircraft.

qantas caved into the unions regarding jetstar, the plan originally was to outsource the ground handling, now it will be performed by union labour. at what cost???

The Counter
9th Feb 2004, 16:48
At least the baggage guys stick together and have a union that allows them to have a voice on issues, not like the pilot fraternity, who are now paying for endorsements to work for airlines and for less money.

IORRA
9th Feb 2004, 17:07
At least the baggage guys stick together and have a union that allows them to have a voice on issues

I might've missed something, but was it this same union that sanctioned Virgin's arrangements with its baggage handlers, on considerably poorer conditions than their qantas counterparts?

The part I don't get in all of this is why the TWU is quite happy to bend over for DJ, and yet the minute QF does anything there are walk-outs left, right and centre...

HGW
9th Feb 2004, 17:43
The TWU has bent over for Jetstar also. They have sanctioned Express Ground Handling, the new ground handler for Jetstar, with the same EBA as VB.
Internal contractors don't you think. :suspect:
The poor bast%*ds will be treated like scabs.