PDA

View Full Version : Cessna 402B speeds

Fantacan017
8th Feb 2004, 11:41
Two quick questions I'm sure someone would know the answers for..:)

C402B cruise TAS and descent IAS in both smooth and rough air ????

Thanks all !

compressor stall
8th Feb 2004, 14:13
1. How rough are the bumps? Turbulence pentration speeds, or passenger vomit speeds?

2. How much do you love your turbos? Do you want to power down to ground level, then spend longer cooling down? Do you want to descend at 500fpm, or is it freight?

3. Consult your friendly flight manual for TAS speeds, then knock 5 knots off. I used to work on 170 cruise TAS.

itchybum
8th Feb 2004, 15:46
I used to plan on 180KTAS in a C402B. Maybe 170 is good for a ship that's been around a while and finished up a little bent and with old donks and a bit of weight.

As for IAS on descent, I can't remember Vmo but I think it was around 199KIAS??? Best check your manual. Anyway, I was taught to set a power as per a schedule of reduction of ONE inch of manifold pressure every TWO minutes during the descent with the aim of arriving in the circuit area at about 20 inches (I think it was 20, we're going back a way) or whatever your downwind power setting is.

The point is, you take what ever airspeed you get. It won't vary too much from the cruise IAS when the power starts coming back. I don't know of anyone who operates that class of aircraft and attempts to achieve a certain IAS performance on descent.

This technique will facilitate (as compressor stall has already mentioned) a 500ft/min ROD without undue risk of an overspeed due to turbulence or thermals. Is that what you were getting at?

As I recall the idea is the engine is now operating below the threshold of the turbo-super-charging and larger throttle movements are not an issue. In the upper ranges gradual cooling is preferred to stop the turbos accumulating (someone help me out here...) deposits of baked-on oil?? Carbon or something??

Anyway that's the general idea. As always don't take pprune postings as gospel. Check your handling notes, manual and Chief Pilot.

404 Titan
8th Feb 2004, 18:02
Never flew the “B” model 402 but the “C” had a cruise speed range of 170 to 180 kts depending on the weight. Always set the same power setting regardless of weight and accepted the speed I got. This also applied to the 404 though the speeds were 5 kts less all-round.

High Altitude
9th Feb 2004, 06:11
402B 180 KTAS?????????????????????????????

compressor stall
9th Feb 2004, 06:40
Maybe 170 is good for a ship that's been around a while and finished up a little bent and with old donks and a bit of weight.

Ummm....are there any c402Bs that aren't old and a bit bent? :ugh:

WhiteRat Wannabe
9th Feb 2004, 06:50
Stallie, the one over the road!! AS NEW :oh:

Towering Q
11th Feb 2004, 08:25
Rat, the Mongrel of the fleet is in getting a new donk!

I'll bet you miss those wood carved control column inserts already.

Has anybody else who flys the B and C ever loaded their pax in the B, closed up the hatch and scrambled up onto the wing only to find no crew door?:ooh:

I haven't yet, but I know someone who has....hey Fred, you out there?

High Altitude
11th Feb 2004, 09:07
Towering Q...

How about loaded up the pax, jumped on the wing, leg through the crew door only to nearly sit in pax lap!!!

compressor stall
11th Feb 2004, 11:06
yes HA, I had forgotten that tale. Gotta love the Japanese.

Crew door. That would have been nice.....

High Altitude
11th Feb 2004, 11:16
AWE CS :suspect:

C402A - VH BMN what a classic, serial number 1 wasn't it?
C402B - VH ATY you loved that one didn't you :E

I always thought the B stood for 402 Bucket of sh*t...

I much prefer a C... Like LBB..... 3000 TT....:D

slice
11th Feb 2004, 11:58
Didn't one of your guys seriously bend LBB (such that landing lights were popped) and then FLEW it back to DN!!!!:ugh:

compressor stall
11th Feb 2004, 15:30
BMN would have been proud to have been thought of as a 402, she was in fact, a 401! :ooh:

Hmm, LBB did have a run in somewhere. Would have to say that it was not the pilot's smartest move in his career.

:}

sedgie
11th Feb 2004, 20:45
VH-ATY is still going strong flying out of Horn Island. No crew door still and the air vents don't work which make it a bit hot going Badu-Kubin

itchybum
11th Feb 2004, 21:20
by the way Fantacan017 are you by any chance recently off the fantacans and now doing it the "hard way" in GA?

High Altitude
12th Feb 2004, 06:04
Now now I would say it was a great career move as the said individual is now a Captain in an airline...

It was bent but not seriously... Yes the landing light teeth (plastic) were sheared... Yes I think it was kind of a carrier landing! No harm done and a lesson learnt.

She is still a beautiful girl...

Whoops I meant 401A sn 00001 for BMN.

My favorite B was "JOG" BEW was 1909!!! I made money with her!

Turbulent Eddy
12th Feb 2004, 07:54
VH-RCT was a pretty good 402A (s/n 0073). Used to plan at 175 TAS, and it's BEW was 1910 or thereabouts. She also had the bonus crew door! :ok:

I think Stallie would have BMN anyday over another fine example of the type he had flown :D

As for the original question, I basically used the same as Stallie and Itchybum have stated. Particularly the gradual reduction of MAP on descent, as :mad: ing the turbos will not make your day nor get you staff member of the month!

404 Titan
12th Feb 2004, 08:27
High Altitude

Glad you liked “JOG”. Sorry that we sold her after she was repainted. Last I heard she was down in NSW, Dubbo I think though that was a while ago. :ok: :)

Sheep Guts
12th Feb 2004, 10:05
VH-ATY mmmmmmmmm

Yes HA you sent me on some incredible missions in that one. Super Puma Gearbox (450kg) to Troughton Island after a Cyclone had swished passed Darwin.

Then ofcourse the infamous evening when you rung me at 2:30am to fly a C210 to Alice full of Papers when it was raining cats and dogs. Went down to the office met Tim whos bus had just had a engine fire 15 minutes out in the soup, and had been radar vectored back, e Keys of RWY29 with partial power. Should have seen the damage on the C210 after. Lucky man Tim very lucky.
I did the plan because the DME was inop in the C210 couldnt do the leg between Katherine and tennant greater than 2 hrs with out a fix. So went to go the Baron but no good cause the amount of fuel required. So then I went ATY, man did I get some night time that night and the following return because duty limits.

ATY the beast that had a mind of its own or engine I mean. It would have a hiccup everyso often in the fuel flow on one side Just when didnt expect it like about to eat a sandwich or something, darn thing. Filled a whole MR with that particular fault. " Oh we fixed it " Yeah sure mate :E

Anyway I hope its ok these days heard it got a total make over.

Sheep

High Altitude
12th Feb 2004, 12:03
Speaking of ATY I did parachute op's out of it from Noonamah... 10 jumpers... Man that was interesting... :E

No crew door...

compressor stall
12th Feb 2004, 12:07
Ah yes, sheep, how could I forget - the HICCUP. Sure woke you up! Also the 3 layers of paint....surely worth a couple of pax there. :ooh:

MMyeessss......Turbulent Eddy...I had expunged the memory of KRY from my memory. Thanks. :ouch:

PS. Did you get my PM from about 3 weeks ago re that job? If not call me.....k

High Altitude
12th Feb 2004, 13:03
Remember ATY as you said had that ongoing problem... Engineers basically couldn't find anything even on a flight. Then eventually on a flight with an engineer it did it and the engine was immediately removed!!!

Sheep Guts
13th Feb 2004, 19:46
Well, ATY is long gone I bet.

Anyway take care fellas.

CS didnt get your PM last one was in Novemeber last year.
Will PM you now.....

Sheep