PDA

View Full Version : Slow File Saving

Keef
8th Feb 2004, 08:06
The trusty old PC soldiers on, but I've noticed these last few days that when I'm in Word or similar and click "Save", then try to navigate to a different folder from the one the "Save" routine brings up, it hides the "Save In" box for about 15 seconds.

Eventually, the box returns and I can then select the drive/folder/filename I want. But it's a pain.

I've defragged recently (do so every week), and the hard disks are nowhere near full.

Any theories as to what might be the cause?

The only thing I've done to this machine recently is to network daughter's laptop (via the modem/router) while setting that up and uploading her stuff off my PC to the laptop.

Saab Dastard
8th Feb 2004, 19:10
Keef,

Could your system still be trying to make the network connection to the laptop?

Check in My Computer and NetWork Places that you have disconnected the network drive.

Windows likes to give all the drives it knows about a reasonable chance before timing out - hence the delay in the Save dialog as it tries to find all possible drives, even if they aren't available.

If you aren't going to share files and printers again for a while, consider removing File & Printer Sharing (under Network Properties). That is also a good move from a security perspective.

SD

Naples Air Center, Inc.
9th Feb 2004, 05:01
Keef,

I was thinking the same as Saab Dastard when reading your post. It sounds like it is checking for network drives that are not currently connected.

Take Care,

Richard

Keef
10th Feb 2004, 03:24
Thanks! So easy! Should've thought of that.

I blame my age...