PDA

View Full Version : Covered Songs

Luca_brasi
29th Oct 2001, 15:10
I just recently bought a CD titled "The Best Ever Covers Album" and it has 2 CDs of covered songs. They arent the originals and it doesnt really say who sang them so i was hoping i could get some help here. The format is: "Band covering song - Song title - Original artists (where known)

Thanks

Kylie Minogue - Locomotion - Little Eva
Dragon - Celebration - ???
Stars on 54 - If You Could Read My Mind - Gordon Lightfoot
Max Sharam - Lay Down (Candles in the Wind) - Mott the Hoople(?)
The Chimes - Still Havent Found What Im Looking For - U2
N Trance - Stayin Alive - Bee Gees
Big Mountain - Baby I Love Your Way - Peter Frampton
Newton - Sometimes When We Touch - Dan Hill
Shaggy - In the Summertime - Mungo Jerry
Unique II - Break My Stride - ???
N Trance with Rod Stewart - Do Ya Think Im Sexy? - Rod Stewart
Portrait - How Deep Is Your Love - Bee Gees
Daryl Brathwaite - The Horses - ???
Paul Kelly - It Started With a Kiss - Hot Chocolate
UB40 - Cant Help Falling In Love - Elvis Presley
Jimmy Barnes and the Badloves - The Weight - The Band
Bryan Ferry and Roxy Music - Jealous Guy - John Lennon
Jimmy Barnes - Aint No Mountain High Enough - Diana Ross
Chocolate Starfish - You're So Vain - Carly Simon
Pauline Henry - Feel Like Makin Love - Roberta Flack
Divinyls - Wild Thing - Troggs
Cold Chisel - Knocking On Heavens Door - Bob Dylan
Cheap Trick - Dont Be Cruel - Elvis Presley
Eric Clapton - I Shot The Sherrif - Bob Marley
Vic Reeves and the Wonderstuff - Dizzy - Tommy Roe
Ugly Kid Joe - Cats in the Cradle - Harry Chapin
The Radiators - Revolution - Beatles
James Blundell and James Reyne - Way Out West - The Dingoes
Jon English - Turn the Page - Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band
Ted Mulry Gang - Darktown Strutters Ball - Jimmy Dorsey orchestra
Zoot - Eleanor Rigby - Beatles
Dave Mason - All Along the Watchtower - Jimi Hendrix/Bob Dylan (?)
Status Quo - Roadhouse Blues - The Doors

Feel free to correct me if i have made any mistakes. As more answers are put up ill fill in the whole lot. This is so i can download the originals and compare the versions and see which is the better one. Thanks guys.

Edited to insert original artists

[ 29 October 2001: Message edited by: Luca Brasi ]

sanjosebaz
29th Oct 2001, 15:47
Here's a few to be getting on with. Some may be completely the wrong song though ;)

Kylie Minogue - Locomotion - LITTLE EVA (Also covered by Atomic Kitten)

N Trance with Rod Stewart - Do Ya Think Im Sexy? - ROD STEWART (ie without NTrance!)

Jimmy Barnes - Aint No Mountain High Enough - DIANA ROSS

Pauline Henry - Feel Like Makin Love - ROBERTA FLACK

Divinyls - Wild Thing - Troggs ... CORRECT!

Eric Clapton - I Shot The Sherrif - BOB MARLEY

Vic Reeves and the Wonderstuff - Dizzy - TOMMY ROE

Ted Mulry Gang - Darktown Strutters Ball - JIMMY DORSEY orchestra (also others)... http://www.getmusic.com/AMG?album=189100

Dave Mason - All Along the Watchtower - JIMI HENDRIX

PilotsPal
29th Oct 2001, 16:00
Don't be cruel - was that Elvis Presley?

In the summertime - Mungo Jerry

[ 29 October 2001: Message edited by: ********* ]

widgeon
29th Oct 2001, 17:33
if you could read my mind , gordon lightfoot
lay down , melanie or mott the hoople.
The weight , The band.

Any one has votes for the worst ever cover ?.
I have a tie for first place , Rolf Harris ;stairway to heaven and Captain James T Kirk ;Lucy in the sky with diamonds

HugMonster
29th Oct 2001, 18:41
Kylie Minogue - Locomotion - Little Eva
Stars on 54 - If You Could Read My Mind - Gordon Lightfoot
Shaggy - In the Summertime - Mungo Jerry
Jimmy Barnes - Aint No Mountain High Enough - Ike & Tina Turner
N Trance with Rod Stewart - Do Ya Think Im Sexy? - Rod Stewart (Solo)
Divinyls - Wild Thing - Troggs
Cheap Trick - Dont Be Cruel - Elvis Presley
Eric Clapton - I Shot The Sherrif - Bob Marley (But Eric's version was the original)
The Radiators - Revolution - Beatles
Dave Mason - All Along the Watchtower - Jimi Hendrix

Oops - didn't actually notice that loads of people beat me to it!

Worst cover ever - Richard Harris doing MacArthur Park... but Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds I have to agree was truly dire!

[ 29 October 2001: Message edited by: HugMonster ]

widgeon
29th Oct 2001, 20:49
Was Richard Harris a cover ? I thought it was the original mind you it was in the 60's so my memory is a little hazy .

pigboat
29th Oct 2001, 21:45
Turn the Page...Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band
All Along the Watchtower...Bob Dylan - from the album John Wesly Harding or Nashville Skyline, I'm too lazy to go look.
widgeon, Wasn't "Lay Down" by Bonnie, Delaney and Friends? Think you're right about Richard Harris. I heard him being interviewed by Shelagh Rogers, and he said he has yet to live it down. We used to have an accountant that worked for us whose last name was Cake. One morning we were boarding passengers in a rain storm, and he was standing there looking like a drowned rat. Guess which song the F/O began to hum. :D

[ 29 October 2001: Message edited by: pigboat ]

sanjosebaz
29th Oct 2001, 22:44
MacArthur Park was written by Jimmy Webb. Not sure whether he recorded it before Mr Harris ruined it, but he certainly has since... Worth getting a copy of his rendition, if only because he wrote it (and Wichita Lineman - remember that?).... Ah, the good old days :eek:

[ 29 October 2001: Message edited by: sanjosebaz ]

Davaar
29th Oct 2001, 22:45
Pilot's Pal:

"...........to a heart that's true".

Ah!

Loki
29th Oct 2001, 23:19
Lay Down:

Melanie I think (Melanie Safka)

Little Eva sang Locomotion, but I`m fairly sure twas written by Carole King

widgeon
29th Oct 2001, 23:20
http://theblackhornet.com/melanie.html

there may be other versions , I am not sure which one is on the above mentioned compilation.

By the way another really good cover album is deadicated ( all Grateful Dead covers ) . Includes Lyle Lovett singing friend of the devil

[ 29 October 2001: Message edited by: widgeon ]

Davaar
30th Oct 2001, 03:24
Pigboat:

It is not safe to underrate Shelagh Rogers. I once heard her interview a man who claimed to hail from Glasgow. In his remarks he used the word "sh*t". Quick, as they say, as a flash, Shelagh riposted: "You mean sh*te, don't you?". Shelagh! But the girl knew. She knew.

Luca_brasi
30th Oct 2001, 03:27
Thanks for that guys. Ive edited the original post to include the original artists that you guys gave me. For some where i got two or more i posted a question mark. Now ill start the search for the originals.

When You Walk in The Room by Paul Carrick isnt a bad version of the Searchers song.

Any others???

sanjosebaz
30th Oct 2001, 04:00
There was a song called "Celebration" by KC and the Sunshine Band. No idea whether it's the same song though :confused:

sanjosebaz
30th Oct 2001, 04:15
... and The Horses was written (and I guess originally performed) by Rickie Lee Jones. You'll find it on the Naked Songs CD.

Aren't search engines a wonderful thing? :D

pigboat
30th Oct 2001, 07:55
LB, All Along the Watchtower is on the Album 'John Wesly Harding' by Dylan, released in 1968.

Loki, yer right about Locomotion being written by Carole King. Eva was Carole's maid.

Davaar, I seem to recall that interview. Wasn't the gentleman ex RAF? I thought the name seemed familiar too.

Eagle18th
30th Oct 2001, 17:23
Break My Stride - is it the song from the early 80s by Matthew Wilder?
If I'm correct it doesn't mean I'm an anorak, but I had an annoying flatmate at the time, who used to play it constantly.
BTW best cover version ever...no contest it has to be The Stranglers version of Walk On By. :) :)

min
30th Oct 2001, 18:19
The Reels did a fabulous cover of "This Guy's in Love with You"...tis wonderful.

M.

min
30th Oct 2001, 18:30
REM also did a couple of sort of covers (recorded live) of Galveston and Wichita Linesman...they sounded pretty good, but more to the point, they're probably the only REM songs I've heard whereby you can actually udnerstand the lyrics..!

M.

PS..Another BAD cover was the Fugees version of "Killing me Softly"

widgeon
30th Oct 2001, 19:47
honourable mention must go to "My Way" by the sex pistols. I remember hearing a Leonard Nimoy ( MR Spock) song that was so awful I have forgotten.
As Golden Throats 2 puts it: "Suffering severe delusions of adequacy, Mr. Spock groped melodies as effortlessly as someone trying to pick up dimes with a catcher's mitt

Loki
30th Oct 2001, 23:14
So what`s your favourite cover?

Mine include Lenny Cohens "Suzanne" sung by Joan Baez, and that J.S. Bach piece (help me someone) turned into "Whiter Shade of Pale" by?

sanjosebaz
30th Oct 2001, 23:49
Procol Harum ;)

WSofP was composed by Matthew Fisher (PH's organist), but he acknowledged "ispiration" from two Bach pieces: Air on a G String and Sleepers Wake (choral prelude BWV645).

Actually, only the organ bit ("Bach") was written by Fisher, the rest of the tune is by Gary Brooker. The lyrics were written by Keith Reid.

Again - ain't the web a wondrous thing (in case you thought I actually knew this stuff!) :D

[ 31 October 2001: Message edited by: sanjosebaz ]

sanjosebaz
31st Oct 2001, 00:04
To answer Loki's first question second, my favorite cover is Yes' interpretation of America (Simon and Garfunkel). Not a lot of similarity to the original (no surprises there, Yes fans!) but an inspired performance nonetheless. Saw them do it live once - amazing :cool:

pigboat
31st Oct 2001, 03:03
Joan Baez also did an excellent cover of 'Joe Hill' an old Woody Guthrie song.
Anybody remember Mrs. Miller? The absolute worst you've ever heard. Her cover of 'Downtown' had to be heard to be believed.

Loki
31st Oct 2001, 03:15
Pigboat:

I remember mrs Miller, but wasn`t the whole point that the songs were supposed to be awful or am I missing something (again)

Luca_brasi
31st Oct 2001, 04:33
My favourite cover song is "It Started with a Kiss" by Paul Kelly. The original was a great song and Paul Kelly simply made it better. Other good covers have been almost anything on Jimmy Barnes Soul Deep or Soul Deeper albums as well as Neil Finn's cover of "Throw Your Arms Around Me"

As for worst covers, has to go to N Trance for that shocking cover of Stayin Alive.

BTW i didnt know that Whiter Shade of Pale was a cover. was bits of it just taken from other songs?? Its a great song as well.

sanjosebaz
31st Oct 2001, 05:44
No, Whiter Shade of Pale was not a cover as such - just the organ riff was "inspired" by Bach. See my reply a few inches up ;)

min
31st Oct 2001, 06:07
I don't think any cover of "Throw your Arms around me" could be bad...Hunters and Collectors have about 3 versions of it themselves, I think! I really hope someone doesn't stuff it up, because that is one of THE best songs ever.....Crowded House's version of Split Enz "Message to My Girl" is also good... lol :) (wonder why that would be???!!!)

M.

Luca_brasi
31st Oct 2001, 06:37
The first time i heard Message to My Girl i actually thought it was Crowded House. This was one of Split Enz's last songs when the older brother (i cant remember which one) gave the band to the younger brother. He then in turn disbanded Splint Enz and formed Crowded House. So u may have heard th actual original and thought it was Crowded House. If not, let me know where u heard it coz i would love a copy. I also have Neil Finn singing Message to My Girl solo which is very good

min
31st Oct 2001, 07:46
It was tongue in cheek :) Tim Finn is Neil's older brother, and he was in Crowded House there at one stage too. I haven't heard Neil's solo version of either "Message to My Girl" or "Throw your Arms Around Me", so I think I shall have to look for them. Ironically, the drummer in Crowded House is the brother of Mark Seymour from Hunters and Collectors. Some very talented musicians amongst those 3 groups.

M.

min
31st Oct 2001, 07:49
PS. I have an mp3 of Crowded House singing it live...not sure which concert from...did they sing it at the last concert perhaps??

M.

trevorinns
31st Oct 2001, 08:36
Break My Stride...originally by Matthew Wilder (the writer too)

Gog
31st Oct 2001, 14:49
The Cures version of The Doors, Hello I love you was great.
William Shatners version of Lucy in the sky with diamonds ,wasn't.

Tricky Woo
31st Oct 2001, 15:10
Interesting things, 'covers': no matter how often a song is covered, the owner of the royalty rights gets some dosh per performance. Nice little earner, huh?

For example, I have recently acquired the performance rights to the most covered song in the history of songdom: Happy Birthday to You. I reckon I'm going to make a bundle out of this one, folks.

I want a minimum of 10 pence per performance out of the lot of you. And don't let me catch any four year olds trying to weasel their way out of it, 'cos I'll 'ave 'em, I will.

What's mine is mine.

TW

paulc
31st Oct 2001, 18:18
Madonna - American Pie - original by Don Mclean
Cher - Walking in Memphis - original by Mark Cohen (i think)

nuff said :D

captainowie
1st Nov 2001, 14:21
I think it's silly when bands that cover songs make it sound almost exactly like the original. If you're going to copy someone, at least put a bit of originality in it! It just makes it seem (especially for these manufactured groups that are all the rage these days) that they can't seem to think up songs of their own!

djk
1st Nov 2001, 18:30
Celebration if my memory serves me well, that was originally recorded by Kool & The Gang.

sanjosebaz: I think you'll find that "All Along the Watchtower" was written and recorded originally by Bob Dylan.

As for the worst cover song ever.. I'd put forth William Shatner's cover of "Mr Tambourine Man" some may dispute this, but one of the best cover verions ever must surely be John Otway's rendition of "Delilah" :-)

widgeon
1st Nov 2001, 19:45
Totally agree captainowie , I heard a new cover version of "I'm a believer" that was almost identical to the Monkees version what a waste of time . For one that is nothing like the original check out "Faith" by Kid Rock . I believe that Dylan agreed that Hendrix's version of Watchtower was much better than the original.

ft
1st Nov 2001, 21:34
Worst cover: All those shitty r'n'b bands on EmptyVee who kill old reggae songs, safe in the knowledge that the teens which are their target audience will never have heard of the original artists and see through their bluff.

Best cover: "I Fought the Law". All the versions. By the Clash, by the Oyster Band, by Die Toten Hosen, the Pogues... didn't the Stray Cats do it as well? Etc etc etc. I guess you could call me a collector. :)

Now that I'm talking music among a lot of people from those islands on the other side of the Channel, has anyone seen where records by a group called "The Nips" can be found? They were formerly known as "The Nipple Erectors" and later transformed into the Pogues, I think they started out in Dublin.

Cheers,
/ft

[ 01 November 2001: Message edited by: ft ]

Luca_brasi
2nd Nov 2001, 02:59
Uptown Girl by that stupid boy group that has just been released sounds so much like the original it was hardly worth doing it. What makes it worse is when i have the original on in my car everyone thinks its the new version.

As for good covers, i agree that they have to be different but not so far different that they take away from the original song. i.e N Synchs "Stayin Alive" Ones that i have found that have been good are some of Jimmy Barnes covers mainly "What Becomes of the Broken Hearted" and "Hold On, Im Coming" They are fairly different but still keep the essence of the song.

pigboat
2nd Nov 2001, 03:06
Weren't the Pogues originally called Pogue Madraigh or something, just to hear a BBC announcer say 'kiss my a**' in Gaelic? Or is that another urban myth?

djk
2nd Nov 2001, 12:45
If anyone is feeling adventurous or just plain masochistic, there's always actor, Tim Curry singing "Anyone Who Had A Heart". Leonard Nimoy's version of "If I Had A Hammer". but another of my favourites that help me clear a room at the end of the evening is Alberto Y Los Trios Paranoias barber-shop-quartet-style version of the Pistol's "Anarchy In The UK".

Now I do know that radio DJ Tony Blackburn recorded a couple of albums which I am tempted to track down - How sick am I? :-)

djk
2nd Nov 2001, 17:45
oh I forgot another cover that's good for chuckle value. Miss Piggy & Ozzy Osbourne singing "Born To Be Wild" :-)

CoodaShooda
2nd Nov 2001, 18:05
Dkosky-
You mean you haven't heard Tim Curry as Frankenfurter in the movie version of the Rocky Horror Picture Show. Definitely a singer who could act. "I'm going home" was a particular stand out.
(Waddya mean that was nearly thirty years ago???....looks in mirror...aaagh!! definitely a rocky horror....shuffles off wondering where the years have gone.) :eek: :D :rolleyes:

djk
2nd Nov 2001, 18:12
CoodaShooda, I have seen the movie, as well as seen the play acted on stage countless of times with different actors playing Frank'n'Furter. but should you ever manage to get hold of his first solo album "Read My Lips" you'll know what I'm talking about :-)

There was even an apology included in with the album from the record producer Bob Ezrin ;-)

CoodaShooda
2nd Nov 2001, 18:20
Dk
Pleeztameatcha.
I'll take your word for the later work.
(Never let a comedian pick his own material??)
But it won't stop me winding up the gramophone and dropping on the vinyl from time to time. :D

(Note to self: If I'm living on memories now, what will I be like when I get old :eek: :eek: ) :D

djk
2nd Nov 2001, 18:35
CoodaShooda, ditto :-)
yup, there's nothing wrong with dusting off the old gramophone. I still get weird looks when I say I prefer vinyl to CD

4llA
2nd Nov 2001, 19:44
Covers R Us
try Status Quo's "don't stop"
with When You Walk In The Room
Proud Mary
All Around My Hat and lots more

On the subject of Alberto y Los Trios Paranoias, I was privileged to see their rock opera - "Snuff Rock" including such reggae favourites as "Snuffin' in de Babylon - all de people droppin' like flies"
The absolute worst ever 'covers' album is Tom Jones Reload....

widgeon
2nd Nov 2001, 20:31
If you want to hear som truly weird Zeppelin covers check out Dread Zeppelin.

DKosky
2nd Nov 2001, 21:33
4llA yay! I'm so glad someone else has heard of The Albertos and even better has been able to see them on concert. Alas and alack I was too young to be able to witness them at the height of their career.

And while we're on the subject of weird covers. Has anyone had the fortune / misfortune to listen to violin virtuoso, Nigel Kennedys album of cover versions of classic Hendrix songs. *s******s* Purple Haze on a violin, almost as bad as Vim Fuego (Bad News) playing it on his accoustic guitar with his dad on trumpet *grin*