PDA

View Full Version : Omniflight Helicopters settles out of court for South Dakota EMS crash

SASless
7th Feb 2004, 20:03
This article was found at Just Helicopters and was published at www.keloland.com , quotes a newspaper article. If true...makes Management at Omniflight look a bit desparate for pilots. South Dakota can be a very dark place at night. Sounds darker than normal somehow.

Pilot, two Medical crew, and the patient were all killed in a night-time crash in foggy weather. Pilot was alledged to be on a 25 flying hour probation when it occurred. Reckon he failed the probation?

CAREFLIGHT Crash Settlement

New evidence has uncovered pilot error was the reason Avera St. Lukes CAREFLIGHT helicopter crashed on September 9th, 2002, killing all four people on board.

As a result, the family of flight paramedic Andy Willey was awarded a 2.2 million dollar settlement by the helicopter owner Omniflight when investigators uncovered that pilot Masaaki Suzuki was not qualified to fly under certain night time conditions. Investigators hired by Willey's lawyers also say there was no mechanical problems with the helicopter.

Suzuki had close calls before when he flew CAREFLIGHT and it has been revealed that even Gail Houck and Andy Willey did not want to fly with Suzuki on the night the aircraft crashed. But what's more troubling is a large company's refusal to fix a problem everyone knew it had.

Its a sight few will ever forget as investigators surround the crash site of CAREFLIGHT in a field just outside of Doland. Omniflight owned the helicopter and also was in charge of training it's pilot Masaaki Suzuki.

Attorney Ken Gosch says, "This was a pilot who had known limitations and placed on probation. They were short of pilots, they had two pilots working on the night shift because this pilot wasn't allowed to work night shift. The company released him to work night shift on the condition that they would see how he did over the next 25 hours."

Investigators have discovered that even company officials told Omniflight that Suzuki was not a good pilot.

Gosch: "There was a memo that said "how much risk are we willing to take letting him get on the job training." Five flight hours latter he flew that aircraft into the ground killing four people."

It is believed Suzuki became disoriented in the foggy skies near Doland and tried to turn back to Aberdeen when the helicopter crashed. Now Omniflight admits some negligence in the training of Suzuki and settled a law suit from Willey's family out of court. Omniflight wanted to keep the settlement a secret, but Gosch told them he would never agree to those terms.

Gosch: "I want the public to know what happened here and I don't want this to happen again. I want these big companies to know they need to pay attention and to protect the public."

The final FAA report still hasn't been released to the public. The family of Peter Carter, who was the patient on board the helicopter when it was heading to Sioux Falls, has also settled out of court, but their terms are confidential. Gail Houcks four sons are also bringing a law suit against Omniflight, but according to their lawyers, has not been settled.

Steve76
7th Feb 2004, 22:12
So how did this guy ever get a licence. :mad:

SASless
7th Feb 2004, 22:20
Steve....

One must recall that others will put you onto the high board and holler "Jump!"....the secret to longevity is to know when to climb back down the ladder.

The ability to pass the written and practical tests for certificates (licenses to our UK brethen) falls short of the demands placed upon pilots after they obtain the credentials.

I would suggest you direct your concerns to a management and oversight system that ignores the reality of helicopter flight at night in unlit areas with inadequate weather reporting and no air traffic control. Our EMS crews do yeoman service for the country and certainly do not receive the respect, pay, or support they deserve.

donut king
8th Feb 2004, 03:48
Gents!

Before we trash our fellow aviator and ask how he ever got licensed lets look at this from another perspective.

Given a weak/ junior/ inexperienced pilot, who is responsible for placing that individual in the cockpit? This company's executive level appears to acknowledge some concern over this pilot's performance. Why and who placed him there/ in the command position he was in???

I've seen a few individuals in command positions that don't belong there(IMHO). They can pass a checkride, but on the job, the decision making is questionable!

There was a very similar accident report from Transport Canada involving an inexperienced pilot flying SPIFR( fixed wing). The accident synopsis concluded pilot error, but the chain of errors started at the company level where the chief pilot/ managers put the individual into the command position.

D.K

PPRUNE FAN#1
8th Feb 2004, 04:20
Sadly, I will think of Mr. Suzuki every time I hear some company shill saying that they have "...a stack of resumes this tall!" on their desk.

There were management types within Omni who knowingly and deliberately turned a blind eye to or otherwise ignored Mr. Suzuki's all-too-apparent inadequacies. To be honest, I don't know how they'll live with themselves now. I certainly could not.

Great industry we work in, eh?

SASless
8th Feb 2004, 05:11
Single engine, unstabilized, no autopilot, IMC at night....GPS nav only....hilly ground under you...starting pay $40,000-$42,000 per year. Pressure to fly even if only due to wanting to help some injured folks...(pressure however subtle) to fly missions in marginal weather (ah, but we do have legal minimums, right?)...job advert saying..."must be willing to fly SPIFR"....on no notice flights.

I recall doing a relief stint at one of Omni's operations....walked into the hospital with no real idea on how to find the pilot's quarters...encountered the Lead Pilot in the Foyer on the ground floor. He threw me a huge ring of keys...stated "You have a scene flight...Med Crew is on the way to the aircraft on the roof!" . He was huffy when I suggested the least he could do was show me how to get to the helideck.

Yes, quite an industry. He is still there....still the Lead Pilot.
:(

donut king
8th Feb 2004, 07:40
Sasless and PPfan!

You guys are right on the money!!

Here's a question..... any and all answers welcome.

How can we regulate our industry when those that are paid to do it fail? Governing bodies of your respective countries, chief pilots, op's managers....etc are paid better money than myself( an "average joe" line captain) to do it. Yet these very manageable/ preventable accidents continue.

D.K