PDA

View Full Version : Xp Sp2

fobotcso
7th Feb 2004, 19:30
I've applied my Beta version of this SP to a low risk laptop. With this version you must back up your existing set-up. In fact, Microsoft don't even give you the option of not backing up! There's confidence for you.

First impressions are that the new security measures are going to cause some grief at first until we get used to the changes.

Read about it HERE (http://download.microsoft.com/download/8/7/9/879a7b46-5ddb-4a82-b64d-64e791b3c9ae/WinXPSP2_Documentation.doc)

Oh, and it didn't do the most important job I wanted from it. That is, fix the problem described in this bulletin (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=823291) .

amanoffewwords
8th Feb 2004, 00:36
Yep, I've made a mental note to take some leave when it goes into production - I particularly do not like the fact that it switches the firewall on by default - do you know if it warns you first? And does it check if you have an existing firewall such as NIS?

amowf

Naples Air Center, Inc.
8th Feb 2004, 01:38
amanoffewwords,

All the reports I have say that it activates the Firewall without telling you it is doing so.

Take Care,

Richard

amanoffewwords
8th Feb 2004, 01:43
That's what I suspected http://www.stopstart.freeserve.co.uk/smilie/cussing.gif

fobotcso
8th Feb 2004, 07:30
Absolutley Right!

ICF was enabled by default without any prompt.

This showed up in:

Start>Settings>Network Connections>Internet Connection etc...

As I work behind a hardware firewall in the router and ZoneAlam Pro it is hardly necessary to use the Windows XP Firewall as well!

Microsoft does come up with some funny ideas.

Mac the Knife
8th Feb 2004, 12:48
Wassamatta wit' you guys?

Enabling ICF by default is an excellent idea. The average punter has no idea what a firewall is and couldn't turn it on to save his/her life! Smartarses like us can always turn it off!

amanoffewwords
8th Feb 2004, 16:43
Mac,

'cause the average punter is going to call me like crazy when the windoze firewall is activated through a windows update and starts having arguments with their install of Norton Internet Security or whatever s/w firewall they already have.

Or starts denying access to/from other computers on their home network without any apparent reason (to them).

I just think Microsoft should have a warning of the possible consequences if it is switched on - it isn't always the right choice.

Something along the lines of "Windows has detected blah blah blah and if you say yes you might grow an extra nose etc etc." - add a "recommended" choice for the average punter, and you're done.

Just my opinion anyway,

amofw

ps. hope the sun's still shining down there - I'm off soon!

PPRuNe Towers
8th Feb 2004, 18:44
Sorry folks - I have to agree with Mac.

Nearly 90 percent of XP pressings whether retail or oem for the trade have never been updated or patched - not even once. You all know with absolute certainty that XP contains the code to establish this with total accuracy don't you?

Now use your skill and judgement to estimate what percentage of that 80+% will have installed third party software firewalls and the nano percentage going for a hardware firewall:D :D

I've said it before and I promise it is without any sneering you are entirely unrepresentative of computer users.

Regards
Rob

amanoffewwords
9th Feb 2004, 02:34
If 90% of Windows users are ignoring the updates, despite the warnings, so be it - if you own a computer you need to take responsibility for it - same with motorbikes as I was reminded by a copper once - just because I don't know how it works it doesn't mean I'm not responsible for the maintenance.

Ditto in the aviation world, ignore NOTAMS at your risk and peril.

So, who care cares about the risk takers, the rest of us "responsible" (even if we are unrepresentative) users would surely like to know when a critical service is activated - after all Microsoft warns you of the consequences of de-activating the firewall, so why not a warn us when IT decides to switch it on "for your own good"?

amofw

goates
9th Feb 2004, 03:24
People haven't figured out that you need treat a computer more like a motorbike than a TV. The average user just expects the computer to work and has no idea about updates, viruses or security in general. Many of the recent virus outbreaks wouldn't have been half as serious if most Windows users had a proper firewall installed and activated, and had applied the monthly patches put out by Microsoft. You are right in that Microsoft should have provided a warning, but it should still default to on. The average user will probably just click okay and forget about it. As Towers pointed out, most users haven't installed any patches or updates, and only use the software that comes on their computer, thus no firewall and possibly a virus scanner that will stop updating itself after 90 days.

goates

Naples Air Center, Inc.
9th Feb 2004, 05:41
Rob,

If most users do not update, patch, etc., they will not be loading SP2 either. :rolleyes:

Take Care,

Richard

goates
9th Feb 2004, 09:12
Existing users may not, but all new computers will come with it, and there will be a few that do get the patch. This still isn't going to help all the users still using Win98 anyways. I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft really pushes this update with an advertising campaign of some kind.

goates

fobotcso
29th Feb 2004, 23:39
Well, Ive taken it off - at least for the moment. It had to go and I'll now wait for the next mailing.

Nothing too serious, you understand, but I got fed up with the start-up error message telling me that the VirusScan Console hadn't started.

But it also knackered my e-mail procedure across the LAN.

With a minimum of three workstations in a P2P LAN, BoxA is the sender/receiver of e-mails. On BoxB and BoxC, to send e-mails they are composed as normal and placed in the Outbox. The Outbox is then "moved" to overwrite the Outbox in BoxA using a batch file.

BoxA sends the e-mail using the same Account details.

Except that SP2 won't allow this.

In the linked document above in my first post - updated on 20 Feb 04 - no explanation is offered about how to avoid this. So I'll wait.

rustle
2nd Mar 2004, 20:49
...Network protection. These security technologies help to provide better protection against network-based attacks, like MSBlaster, through a number of innovations, including enhancements to Windows Firewall. The enhancements include turning on Windows Firewall in default installations of Service Pack 2, closing ports except when they are in use, improving the user interface for configuration, improving application compatibility when Windows Firewall is on, and enhancing enterprise administration of Windows Firewall through Group Policy... (My bolding)

"Experts" should RTFM, and be aware that this is BETA under discussion...

Yep, I've made a mental note to take some leave when it goes into production - I particularly do not like the fact that it switches the firewall on by default - do you know if it warns you first? ...

amowf

amofw - always a worry when a poster gets their own signature wrong :rolleyes:

fobotcso
4th May 2004, 07:57
...from one of my Newsgroups by e-mail so can't post a link; slightly edited to shorten it:

Service Pack 2 for Windows XP, which Microsoft had previously said would be out in June, is going to be delayed. Press reports state that Microsoft has delayed the service pack till July, but I know that internally there's already talk that it will most likely be August before SP2 will be released, and possibly later!

Now, some people are all getting exited [sic!] about this, and I agree, it has taken WAY to long for Microsoft to come out with this service pack.

The first delays occurred because Microsoft decided that SP2 should have a whole set of new security features. This is of course a good thing. The latest delays are caused because SP2 is breaking some software functionality with Microsoft products (would they have delayed it if the problems would have been with other developer's products?). Apparently ASP.NET & Visual Studio 2003 are among some of the products having problems, but there are also reports of Outlook 2003 & Outlook Express "hang-ups" when opening messages.

Lets just hope that Microsoft does a thorough job in beta testing this Service Pack, and will only release it if they are confident that it is "good to go", and not because of some arbitrary date that was set by someone.

SP2 for Windows XP will most likely be causing problems for some users. There's no way around it. You cannot test for all the variations in software & hardware installed on users systems, but Microsoft should take its time to minimize it as much as possible.

End of quote.

amanoffewwords
8th Aug 2004, 17:44
Looks like it's being released on MSDN tomorrow and as an automatic update from Tuesday (on a limited basis) and then full-blown release from the 25th.

Steamhead
9th Aug 2004, 19:50
I think I will turn off my automatic updates and let other people find the problems with SP2.
I know, don't tell me, I am flapping my arms like a chicken.

BEagle
9th Aug 2004, 20:39
I wonder whether the upgrade will do something clever - such as detecting and destroying illegitimate copies of MS software.

That'd wipe the smile of those smug so-and-sos who think that they're sooo clever to have acquired pirate versions of genuine software!

Naples Air Center, Inc.
10th Aug 2004, 14:23
BEagle,

The only Pirated software, are old cracked versions of WinXP Betas. Those were never able to download updates to begin with.

Then there are abused CD-Keys like the one that starts FCKGW...... Which had be shut off my M$ with the release of SP1.

It will be interesting to see what happens with the release of SP2.

Take Care,

Richard

amanoffewwords
16th Aug 2004, 17:30
Isn't it doing well!

One or two programs that may behave differently in Windows XP Service Pack 2 (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=884130&product=windowsxpsp2)

And one or two that seem to stop working after you install Windows XP Service Pack 2 (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;842242)

Feeling lucky?, download it here (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;windowsxpsp2) :uhoh:

maxell
16th Aug 2004, 17:58
well i've had SP2 running on this comp for a few days now with no problems so far.
You do get the option of turning the firewall off and using your own on boot up also it drops another icon in your control panel ( security centre ) where you can make any adjustments you may need.
Also found p2p, ftp, networking and torrents easy to set up. Just hope it stays as easy and gives me no unexpected problems with other progs as i use them

:ok:

Background Noise
16th Aug 2004, 19:07
Its in the news again:

BBC News (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3570636.stm)

goates
16th Aug 2004, 19:46
For the most part I haven't had any problems. It seems to have reset the user permissions on the profiles I had set for my brothers (I have XP Pro) and my IIS setup. So far all the programs I have run worked just as they did before.

goates

Naples Air Center, Inc.
17th Aug 2004, 04:49
Charles,

All I can picture in my head is Clint Eastwood as Harry Callahan from the 1971 classic Dirty Harry:

I know what you're thinking, punk. You're thinking, did he fire six shots or only five? Well to tell you the truth, I forgot myself in all this excitement. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world and will blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself a question: do I feel lucky? Well do ya, punk?

http://www.norcalmovies.com/DirtyHarry/dh12.jpg

:D :D :D :D :D

Richard

amanoffewwords
17th Aug 2004, 07:16
Richard, I was thinking about that whn I wrote it, but I guess the words should have read:

"I know what you're thinking, punk. You're thinking, did he test it six times or only five? Well to tell you the truth, I forgot myself in all this excitement. But being as this is a .2 Service Pack Special, the most powerful software upgrade in the world and will blow your installation clean off, you've got to ask yourself a question: do I feel lucky? Well do ya, punk?"

Fortunately, I'm off on holiday now, so I'll probably return to some chaos since I always drum it into my customers to install the windows updates without fail. Fortunately some don't really listen to me.

Cheers
Charles

Naples Air Center, Inc.
17th Aug 2004, 13:23
Charles,

Have a great holiday. We will hold down the fort for ya. ;)

Richard

IFTB02
18th Aug 2004, 12:52
So today is the (UK) day then?
I realize I have set my Windows XP Fam to 'autoupdate' :uhoh:
we will see, I'll let you's know of the outcome.

BBC latest (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/3576124.stm)

BMM389EC
21st Aug 2004, 03:45
I have my Auto Updates set to On but it has'nt downloaded? Been online quite a bit the last few days. What's the story?

ORAC
21st Aug 2004, 07:44
Release for XP Home was last week, Release for XP Pro is on the 25th.

allthatglitters
21st Aug 2004, 12:40
Downloaded the network administrators version, put it on disc, took several hours on my 128k cable, installed it on one machine and still trying to see how it responds. Noticed few little things.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
21st Aug 2004, 18:22
I am running an update on a notebook now. My guess is it will be downloading for a while.

It will be interesting to see.

Take Care,

Richard

B-HLQ
25th Aug 2004, 15:13
When will Windows XP Service Pack 2 come out? I just ran Windows Update but it said nothing avaliable for download. Thanks in advance.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
25th Aug 2004, 15:41
B-HLQ,

It has been available for download since 10th of August, you can download the full version here:

Windows XP Service Pack 2 Network Installation Package for IT Professionals and Developers (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en)

Take Care,

Richard

goates
25th Aug 2004, 16:58
B-HLQ - It should be available today (Aug. 25) on Windows Update. You could download the full network instal Richard linked to or just wait for the Windows Update version which will probably be smaller, depending on what you have installed.

goates

Evo
25th Aug 2004, 17:06
It is now available on Windows update :uhoh:

spannersatcx
25th Aug 2004, 17:32
I got this today:

Windows Update has encountered an error and cannot display the requested page. You may find the following resources helpful in resolving the problem:\

ORAC
25th Aug 2004, 19:32
Just loaded it and I am still here. :ok:

Keef
26th Aug 2004, 02:31
Yes, got it. Had to turn off the XP firewall, virus checking, and update stuff. It was far too eager, didn't recognise AVG, and wanted to update automatically without me getting to see. I don't trust MS that much!

Something also keeps trying to bring up the dial-up networking. Not found out what (and at 3.30am not going to look now). If whatever it is can't see the ADSL connection, it must be a firewall thing.

It also put IE and all the MS tat on the taskbar. Soon removed that!

Evo
26th Aug 2004, 05:29
It seems to have resurrected Messenger as well :*

B-HLQ
26th Aug 2004, 06:09
I got it today too :) Thanks for the replies guys.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
26th Aug 2004, 14:25
B-HLQ,

Always glad to help. ;)

Take Care,

Richard

timmcat
26th Aug 2004, 16:02
On dial up at home (and no burner on my laptop despite a 2mb pipe at work :{ ) so I've ordered the CD from Microsoft.

Out of interest does anyone know how big the file is on Windows update?

Naples Air Center, Inc.
26th Aug 2004, 16:30
timmcat,

On Windows Update it can be anywhere from 75Mb to 266Mb.

Take Care,

Richard

goates
26th Aug 2004, 16:33
It seems to have resurrected Messenger as well

Which Messenger are you referring to, Windows Messenger or the Messenger service? It left the service alone on my machine and the service is supposed to default to off now.

goates

Evo
26th Aug 2004, 16:46
Whoops, quite right goates. :O I meant Windows Messanger. The annoying messenger service has remained dead.

BEagle
26th Aug 2004, 20:59
Well, apart from having changed the icon showing that it's connected to WLAN, I haven't noticed any changes yet.

Took about 90 minutes to load - lots of fights with Symantec and some 'security center' thing came up when it re-booted. Seems to have vanished now....

Evo
26th Aug 2004, 21:44
I've tried it out on a couple of test boxes - one is fine, but the explorer process seems to die on the other, leaving me with nothing but my wallpaper and a moveable but unclickable mouse. Even Ctrl, Alt, Del does nothing. Uhoh... :ugh: :{

Naples Air Center, Inc.
27th Aug 2004, 01:26
I have been doing fresh installs with the WinXP CD which already has SP2 in it and they go very smoothly. All that I see during the install is an extra screen that was not there on the WinXP w/SP1 CD.

The only thing that is annoying is the Security Center, it keeps wanting you to add an Antivirus program. Until you do, and you update the Antivirus program, it keeps popping up the reminder balloons.

Richard

goates
27th Aug 2004, 04:59
I have Norton Systemworks on two computers here with Norton Anti-virus. On one the Windows Security Center recognises the Anti-Virus, on the other it doesn't. It didn't have trouble with the ZoneAlarm firewall on any of the computers though.

Meh, it still beats using Windows98... ;)

goates

BEagle
27th Aug 2004, 07:33
Same here. It recognises Norton AV 2004 on one computer, but not Norton AV 2002 (current, updated and legal) on the other - even though both state "All of the Symantec products installed on your computer are currently up-to-date." No doubt a temporary thing which will be sorted out soon....?? Meanwhile I've turned off the so-called virus protection monitoring on the security centre thing because it clearly isn't working.

But over 90 Mb to fix the faults in the basic Win XP??

Just got through to the advice line - in the UK it isn't 0860 60 10 100 as inidicated on the MS site - it's actually 0870 60 10 100. Eventually they tell you to redial 0845 090 2025 - so that's the no. to ring for SP2 queries. They allege that it's Norton's problem and that they should come up with a fix. Which, of course, is typical MS bolleaux. That's like saying "We've got something which can tell you if your printer needs new ink cartridges" - but which only monitors, say, magenta and cyan and can't tell you about yellow because its database doesn't include yellow. The bloke on the other end said that he'd pass on the observation - but I doubt whether any fix will be forthcoming from Gate$' empire!

SoftTop
27th Aug 2004, 08:14
Nail biting couple of hours yesterday ..... it seemed to go quite painlessly.

The kids are still happy because it hasn't affected their on-line gaming but I've noticed a minor niggle with Money 2003. I used to be able to double click on just the day or month or year part of a date entry and have that highlighted for change. I can only get the entire date to highlight now when I double click on it. I then have to positon the cursor and drag across the bit of the date I want to change. A damn nuisance if you've got a batch of entries to do.

All in all, much less anguish than I thought I'd have.

ST

MarkD
27th Aug 2004, 17:38
NTBugtraq which follows NT/2000/XP etc. security issues recommends that SP2 be supported because it's the first time ever MS has truly supported making a system secure *even* if that means pi$$ing off people who wrote insecure code in their applications.

Previously, it was "don't break the apps, even if they're not secure". This approach is better if it means fewer opportunities for worm/virus creators.

We will be starting a trial at our firm by installing a clean WinXP install with SP2 and installing our application software using test machines. If these work OK we will image this using Symantec Ghost and deploy it to our various models of PC. It is extremely unlikely we will be patching existing systems, but that's coz we can afford not to.

Incidentally we operate the Windows firewall on our internal network, but have customised it slightly. This is in addition to our dedicated firewall, in case a laptop brings something nasty inside the firewall. If you want to use Remote Control programs you have to open the firewall for that port though. In SP2 you just point at the program you need to get out and it figures out the rest.

spannersatcx
27th Aug 2004, 20:44
I've tried the windows update feature, but it won't let me download it, reported it to MS and the reply was they were extremely busy at the moment please allow 48hrs!

How do you order sp2 cd?

BEagle
28th Aug 2004, 14:11
Further to my last query about why the XP SP2 Security Center doesn't recognise Norton AV 2002 even with all its current updates, this is from the Symantec support site:

Q: Why does the Windows Security Center say that the status of my Norton security product is "unknown."

A: Your Norton security products contain tamper protection features that prevent malicious code from determining their status. This tamper protection also prevents the Windows Security Center from determining the status of your Norton security products. Shortly after Microsoft releases Service Pack 2, Symantec will make a correction available through LiveUpdate. This correction will allow the Windows Security Center to correctly identify the status of your Norton security products.

So hopefully it won't be long before there's a patch to correct the mis-reporting of Norton AV 2002 status!

spannersatcx
28th Aug 2004, 15:29
Thanks Mike J ordered one.

I must be having a good day fixed 2 problems now (see ATI Radeon AGP thread (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=142721) )

and now the sp2 download problem, if you are unable to get the autoupdate or download working and get the followin error code 0x80244001 then do the following:
When searching for available updates on the Windows Update site, you see the 0x80244001 error

Problem description

This error may occur if the MSXML3.dll is missing or not properly registered.

Applicable operating systems

Windows XP

Windows Server 2003

Resolutions
1. Register MSXML3.dll
Click Start.
Choose Run.
In the Run box, type regsvr32 MSXML3.dll.
Click OK.

ORAC
28th Aug 2004, 18:46
Since loading SP2 I have a problem with Amazon (US and UK) in that all the command icons are missing their images and just show the place holders with red crosses. Everything else seems fine, and it also doesn't seem to happen on any other site (so far). I can't spot anything in IE tools to fix it and the SP2 firewall is off.

Ideas anyone???? :bored:

Naples Air Center, Inc.
28th Aug 2004, 18:54
ORAC,

Just to test, right click on one of the red X's and choose Show Picture.

Let me know if it shows it or not.

Take Care,

Richard

ORAC
29th Aug 2004, 07:25
First thing I tried, no joy.

None of the above
2nd Sep 2004, 19:29
Installed SP2 today without any tears (so far!) having received the CD from Microsoft within a week of ordering. When the inevitable re-installation of XP comes along will I have to load both SP 1 and SP 2? I understand that it is the usual practice to include all prior updates in a Service Pack but I have the feeling that SP 2 only includes updates issued since SP 1. In other words, does the 'cumulative rule' not apply in this instance?

amanoffewwords
2nd Sep 2004, 20:30
The CD contains the full version of SP2 as well as SP1 - otherwise how would they know which parts of SP1 you installed and which you didn't? So in the unlikely event of OS crashing an SP2 reload will suffice (unless of course it caused the problem in the first place :uhoh: )

Naples Air Center, Inc.
2nd Sep 2004, 20:35
None of the above,

When the time comes for the fresh install, you could slipstream SP2 into you current WinXP CD so when you do the Fresh Install, you would already have SP2. ;)

Take Care,

Richard

None of the above
2nd Sep 2004, 21:00
A m o f w and Richard............

Many thanks for your responses. In circumstances like these I always invoke 'None of the abpve's First Law of Hassle' which states that nothing is what it seems. When the whole edifice crumbles in an undignified heap at my feet I shall approach the reconstruction task with aplomb!

Thanks again, chaps.

N o t a

planemad2
3rd Sep 2004, 06:26
Must be a few problems with it.

There are high priority updates for it already.

Ridley
3rd Sep 2004, 17:36
Just bought an HP laptop (P4 3.0ghz, 512mb, 64m ATI Radeon 9000, 60gb HD, CD-RW, 802.11g) for 735 GBP. Finally found an amazing bargain, so had to go for it.
(been staying away from Laptops until they could compete somewhat fairly with my Desktop.)

I've been using Win2k forever on my Desktops but my laptop will have XP installed, with apparently the SP2 being installed by their staff as we speak (well, as I write this), so just a quick question or two for all you XP users who have ventured into SP2:

1. In Win2K everything is configurable and its nice to get under the hood, do I have the same ability in XP?
2. Where would I turn off my firewall in XP? Or configure everything?
3. Do I need to download an admin pack for that kind of access and control?

Pre-thanks guys.

P.S. This is the first place I go to for computer aide now, its always been amazingly helpful, so kudos!!! <grin>

Ridley

goates
3rd Sep 2004, 18:36
Ridley,

If you are getting XP Pro on your laptop, you will have the same abilities as 2000. However, if you are getting XP Home Edition, you won't nearly the same level of control. With XP SP2, there are new control panels for the Security and related features.

goates

timmcat
3rd Sep 2004, 20:54
CD arrived (apparantly a couple of days ago but no one told me!). Installed tonight with no problems surfacing so far - the security centre even recognises my freeware 'Antivir' virus scanner.

I've since run Windows update and it's telling me I'm bang up to date with critical patches, just a couple of software updates I'm not that bothered about.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
3rd Sep 2004, 21:08
Ridley,

I have SP2 running with all the new Security Warnings Disabled. In Windows Security Center, there is a link titled, "Change the way Security Center alerts me".

I have all three unchecked, because I have a Hardware Firewall, I do not use an Antivirus Program, and I want WinXP to tell me when there are updates and I choose when to download them. ;)

Take Care,

Richard

Ridley
4th Sep 2004, 05:23
Thanks Richard, just did the same.

I love my hardware firewall and don't need the cute little software ones, so it was nice to know I could disable a lot of the cute features. (firewall, auto-update, etc)

Now, on to installing my 25 power apps I use.

I'll see you all in about 20 years. <grin>

lol

Ridley

Naples Air Center, Inc.
4th Sep 2004, 05:29
Ridley,

We will be here. :ok:

Take Care,

Richard

P.S. Well, if Frances does not get us that is. ;)

timmcat
6th Sep 2004, 15:48
Now I've got Bill's shiny new XP SP2 firewall, do I disable it and retain my Mcafee Firewall, or is it better to go with XP's offering and ditch my existing software?

Any thoughts anyone?

Tim.

Evo
6th Sep 2004, 16:09
I've kept ZoneAlarm and turned off the SP2 firewall - as far as I know the MS firewall doesn't moitor outbound traffic, whereas ZoneAlarm does. I don't know the details of the McAfee product, but if it is similar then i'd keep it. It's always worth knowing what is trying to call out to the internet.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
6th Sep 2004, 17:25
timmcat,

I would use your Firewall vs the one offered by M$'s SP2.

Take Care,

Richard

a is dum
6th Sep 2004, 18:24
Hi All,

I had an automatic update installation for SP2 some weeks ago.
All runs fine with a little help from this forum posts re. Norton vs SP2 warnings (but no big issue).

However, offspring plays Counter strike with the rest of the world on this PC. This has always worried me for some reason and have stuck his game on a separate partition of the disk.
I run Zone Alarm, Norton antivirus 2004, Spy ware Guard, Ad aware 6.0, Spybot and Spy ware blaster.
The PC is a Dell 2400/IntelCeleron CPU 2.40GHz/RAM:512 MB/OS: Win XP Home. Partitions through Power Quest partition magic 7.0

Maybe nothing to do with his game but since a few days I get the notification” LAN 2 speed 160 Kpi, limited or no connectivity”

I never had any LAN2 notification before.
When going to the page with LAN status it shows “limited or no connectivity” with a ‘repair’ link.
Running the link ends up at
“”Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following could not be completed:
Renewing your IP address
For assistance contact the person who manages your network””

Is this normal or am I linked into something?

Thanks in advance.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
6th Sep 2004, 20:39
a is dum,

It would be worth starting a new thread. List the NIC you are using along with how you connect to a Router and/or Internet with some details about the hardware used.

Take Care,

Richard

P.S. Also include if you use a DHCP Server or set the IP Manually.

Ridley
6th Sep 2004, 22:02
Glad to see your still alive Richard.

Marcus

Naples Air Center, Inc.
6th Sep 2004, 22:23
Marcus,

Doing well. The school is back up and running. (We had put the aircraft in hangars just in case.) No problems from Frances. Short of power outages and tree branches, no problem from Charley either. :ok:

Take Care,

Richard

a is dum
7th Sep 2004, 09:53
Richard,
Glad to see you and the NACinc. school survived Frances.
If you need some branches? I can send you a few, we have a few in the backyard from yesterday's mini storm here! ;)

Re the thread, yes I will start a seperate thread if that helps, on the subject LAN2.

Thanks.

amanoffewwords
7th Sep 2004, 11:49
I thought Frances had hit the East Coast and Richard is on the West Coast?

Naples Air Center, Inc.
7th Sep 2004, 15:07
Charles,

Even on the West Coast of Florida we were touched by Frances. It was not bad at all. Frances was so big that it covered the entire state. :eek:

Take Care,

Richard

mikedurward
9th Sep 2004, 20:09
Hiya uys,

Found this ever increaseing list if programs that DO NOT work with sp2, so be careful

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=842242

Mike

Ausatco
13th Sep 2004, 04:23
Backed up, took a deep breath and plunged right in. Only one minor problem, for which there is a hotfix.

I use Firetrust Benign (http://www.firetrust.com/products/benign/) to filter embedded baddies from HTML-based email. SP2 doesn't like it, or it doesn't like SP2, but there is a KB article which addresses the issue here (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;%5BLN%5D;884020). The hotfix worked a treat.

Edited to add: A couple of hours later I gave the lappy the same treatment, again with no problems other than the need for the hotfix to satisfy Benign. But since I'd already gone that route once, it was a cinch.

2nd edit: Also, the telephone support by MS in Australia (to get the link for the hotfix - it's not publicly available) was exemplary. One call, no waiting, no need for a callback, and I had the link in my email as soon as I hung up :cool: :D

AA

BRL
13th Sep 2004, 12:38
I have noticed over the last few days when I was online, windows update was downloading in the background. Yesterday, it asked me to install it which I did. About three hours later the progress bar was about half way accross the screen when I got the dreaded blue screen. I restarted and hardly anything worked. I uninstalled SP2 and things are back to normal.

I could not find the SP2 that was downloaded, I looked for it before I deleted it, it was only in the add/remove bit.

All working ok now but looks like problems when I get the cd through (ordered it a while ago.) when I will have another crack at it.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
13th Sep 2004, 13:37
BRL,

You could always download the full patch if you have broadband. That way you would not have to rely on the Interent during the install of SP2.

Windows XP Service Pack 2 Network Installation Package for IT Professionals and Developers (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en)

Take Care,

Richard

BRL
14th Sep 2004, 16:51
Thanks Richard.

I downloaded it yesterday with the plan on installing it today after work. I got home from work and found the CD sent from Microsoft on the mat.

I started the install and it got through about half way again and stopped. A box appeared asking if I knew where DRMK.SYS was, it gave me an option that it was on my C drive or to insert the xp2 disc :confused: Disk was in there but it couldn't find the file.

I eventually cancelled it and it carried on with the usual warning that windows may not work if the file was not on the system. On it went for about 10 min's and the same thing happened again, this time asking me for XPSP2res.dl_. Same happened so I cancelled that and it stopped the installation then and started to remove itself.!

Oh well, I might just give it a miss, can't be bothered with the hassle, how come so many of you lot don't have problems like this????............

Mac the Knife
14th Sep 2004, 17:29
The DRMK system driver (drmk.sys) is the Microsoft Kernel DRM Descrambler Filter that decrypts audio streams containing DRM-protected content.

It lives in C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers

You may have copies of it on your system.

I found copies in
C:\WINDOWS\LastGood\System32\DRIVERS
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ReinstallBackups\0006\DriverFiles\i386
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ReinstallBackups\0015\DriverFiles\i386

If a core file like this has gone missing you may have other problems.

Captain Sensible
14th Sep 2004, 17:49
I downloaded it on broadband at my last hotel on my Compaq Presario laptop, then the the installation froze 3 times at different stages to the point where I got a message on the last reboot that my XP was now in an unstable state and I had better uninstall SP2 from the Add/Remove! I think I'll wait until I get the Disk and try again. As far as I can see, you've got to get the damn thing done or else you don't get any further Updates and therefore no future protection.

BEagle
14th Sep 2004, 20:39
I decided to upgrade the OS on my standby laptop from XP Home to XP Pro, so sent off to woman-with-spear.co.uk for the official upgrade disk.

Popped it into the disk drive and got the 'Can't install as your copy of Windows is more recent than the disk' warning.

Then decided to uninstall SP2 and try again. Uninstall took ages...
In with the disk again - off it went. But far from an easy install, reboot required heavens knows how many times. Eventually it loaded, but in a very low screen definition. Sorted that out, then I couldn't connect to the Internet as it had done 'something' to the wireless manager. Clicked on something which worked, then registered...then downloaded and installed SP2. Which took an absolute age.....

But all seems OK now..........

Longhorn, anyone? YGBSM!!

Ausatco
14th Sep 2004, 23:12
Richard,

On 2 September you wrote When the time comes for the fresh install, you could slipstream SP2 into you current WinXP CD so when you do the Fresh Install, you would already have SP2. Through a series of links I found this (http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/deploy/hfdeploy.mspx#EBAA) from Microsoft, which seems to cover what you suggested. But it's very complicated and your quote implied to me that it was easy.

I would like to have a "slipstreamed" or combined XP install and SP2 update on disk. Can you explain your method, or do I have to teach myself scripting, etc, per Microsoft's Combined Installation process?

Regards

AA

Naples Air Center, Inc.
15th Sep 2004, 03:34
Ausatco,

Try:

Slipstreaming Windows XP with Service Pack 2 (SP2) (http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slipstream.asp)

Take Care,

Richard

Ausatco
15th Sep 2004, 05:15
Excellent, Richard, thank you very much!

Before proceeding, some further questions arise for Richard or anyone who knows...

There were 2 versions of SP1 - SP1 contained the MS Virtual Machine and following the acrimonious legalities with Sun, MS was required to release SP1a WITHOUT the MSVM. (I have both SP1 and SP1a on a CD, so can use either as necessary.)

Presumably under the same legal constraint, SP2 does not contain the MSVM.[list=1]
Do I (or does anyone) need to retain MSVM on a Windows system?

If I wanted to retain the MSVM on my machines would I have to do a 2-step integration, the first with SP1 to force inclusion of an updated MSVM, followed by an integration of SP2?

Seeing that MS is no longer allowed to distribute MSVM, what, if anything, would I be losing if I did not integrate SP1 first?

Would the old, unupdated MSVM still be installed (as it is part of the original XP disk to which we are integrating)?

If it is, what are the security implications if not updated with SP1?

If it isn't, what functionality does one lose by not having MSVM on a Windows machine?[/list=1]

Thanks in advance

AA

Naples Air Center, Inc.
15th Sep 2004, 13:24
Ausatco,

You can still download the MSJVM, there are some links to it in this forum. There are some security issues with MSJVM, and since it is no longer supported by M$, those will not get patched.

Take Care,

Richard

Ausatco
15th Sep 2004, 21:55
Thanks Richard.

I've made a streamlined XP installation based on an XP disk that was already at SP1 level.

Now I want to do one with an original XP disk (ie, not at SP1 level).

Is SP2 cumulative, or does SP1 have to be applied first?

AA

Naples Air Center, Inc.
16th Sep 2004, 01:57
Ausatco,

SP2 is cumulative. :ok:

Take Care,

Richard

Ausatco
16th Sep 2004, 11:26
There's nothing like getting news you want to hear! Integrating SP1 would have been difficult - it has an older version of Update.exe that does not support (or is not supported by) the integrate function so you'd have to do it manually as far as I can tell. No thanks.

Cheers Richard

AA

Naples Air Center, Inc.
17th Sep 2004, 03:32
Ausatco,

Let me know how the install goes with you use your WinXP CD with SP2 Slipstreamed.

Take Care,

Richard

Ausatco
17th Sep 2004, 11:43
Will do Richard.

To steal your phrase ... Take Care over there and keep your hatches battened. Someone has upset the weather gods, I trust it wasn't you!!!

AA

Naples Air Center, Inc.
17th Sep 2004, 16:20
Ausatco,

We have been lucky. Most of the weather has missed us. (But you would not think so by what the press has said over the last month.) :eek:

Take Care,

Richard

Mac the Knife
18th Sep 2004, 06:25
Suggest you all read THIS http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=18527 and THIS http://www.pcwelt.de/know-how/extras/103039/ ASAP

In certain circumstances after installing SP2 File and Print Sharing is exposed to the world when it previously was not. The fix is not difficult but it is troubling that such a large whoopsie was not picked up.

"Let's do it to them before they do it to us"

Ausatco
18th Sep 2004, 11:50
You can get a quick check on whether or not you're exposed here (https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2).

Click the Proceed button after you've read the text, then do the File Sharing and Common Ports tests on the next page. In fact do all the tests and explore the site. It is very informative.

AA

PPRuNe Pop
18th Sep 2004, 13:53
I was going to suggest that! I checked mine out and it is fine.

However, I loaded SP2 yesterday and in spite of having DSL it took 1hr and 24 minutes. Very surprising. The second part was nearly 100mb so I would think that Dial-up would be a difficulty.

But..................I am left with programmes taking longer to load, boot-up taking longer and I have two involuntary shutdowns. Those I can do without.

Any ideas. Does something need cleaning maybe?

Mac the Knife
18th Sep 2004, 14:19
Maybe it's best to ask MS to send you the whole megillah on CD (which they do for free).

I did and it only took 2 weeks to arrive in Darkest Africa.........wedged in a cleft stick :cool:

Globaliser
18th Sep 2004, 14:54
Captain Sensible: As far as I can see, you've got to get the damn thing done or else you don't get any further Updates and therefore no future protection.Can anyone confirm whether this is true?

I have been declining SP2, but in the last couple of days I have been offered (and have accepted) "Security Update for Windows XP" (KB833987) and "Update for Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS)" (KB883357) through the Windows automatic updater.

I'd be unhappy to be forced to take SP2 at this stage merely to keep all the other bugs out of XP as and when they're published.

Ausatco
18th Sep 2004, 22:35
But..................I am left with programmes taking longer to load, boot-up taking longer and I have two involuntary shutdowns. Those I can do without Pprunepop, for a while my machine took longer to load, especially the icons on the desktop, but after a few start-up cycles it seemed to sort itself out. Ditto Office programs - they were slow to load, but soon returned to normal. I've read somewhere that XP has inbuilt technology to make frequently used files load faster so maybe it needed time after the SP2 update to figure out which files it should shuffle on the disk (or whatever it does :confused: )

Dunno about the shutdowns:(

AA

PPRuNe Pop
19th Sep 2004, 07:06
Thanks for that ausatco, lo and behold this morning the icons re-drew better and the whole startup was a little better. I reckon you have a point so I will put off my un-installation.

PPP

planemad2
19th Sep 2004, 07:18
I have had it installed for a few weeks now, as others said a little slow at first while it sorts itself out, but now GREAT......... :ok:

Just make sure you are set to be notified of any updates, and instal them.

Compass Call
25th Sep 2004, 23:02
I installed XP Home(SP1) from an OEM disc 2 weeks ago on a new build computer. Yesterday I tentativly installed SP2 from a disc supplied by Micro$oft.

Suprise, suprise all went well with one minor niggle. XP now tells me that my firewall is not turned on - but it is and working well. I turned off the firewall that came with XP and use Black Ice instead.

As for starting up and shutting down - no problems at all (touching wood). All said and done SP2 seems to be working OK for me.:ok:

CC

slj
26th Sep 2004, 04:50
Loaded SP2 a couple of weeks ago. Seemed to work well at first. Problem not recognising Sygate firewall.

Main problems concerned functionality of CD and DVD drives.

Decided to remove SP2. Surprisingly easy and ensure update of various programmes such as Spybot etc

Ausatco
26th Sep 2004, 12:56
Compass Call, you can turn off that nag.

Control Panel, Security Centre (the shield). In the Firewall section, click the Recommendations button. In the Recommendation window that opens, tick the box next to "I have a firewall solution that I'll monitor myself" then OK.

AA

Mac the Knife
27th Sep 2004, 19:05
".....Microsoft has responded to customer requests for another extension before Windows XP SP2 is automatically delivered to computers as a critical update.

TechNet Flash readers may recall the August release of an SP2 Blocker tool to help IT pros better manage the update by setting a Windows registry key that instructs the system to skip downloading and installing SP2 for 120 days while still allowing other critical updates. Last week, the Microsoft SP2 team announced that it has doubled that period to 240 days. The blocking mechanism will prevent Automatic Updates and Windows Update from delivering SP2 to Windows-based computers until 12 April 2005."

Blocker tool available at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=8BCE6BBA-EA5D-4425-89C1-C1CB1CCD463C&displaylang=en

Naples Air Center, Inc.
29th Sep 2004, 03:21
For anyone tired of being nagged by the Security Center:

Go into the Security Center. In there click on:

Change the way Security Center Alerts me.

Then just remove the check marks you do not want to be alerted for.

Take Care,

Richard

henry crun
30th Sep 2004, 08:02
Just had a call from my son, who, having installed SP2 is now in an endless loop.

He has a Dell Inspirion 2610 laptop, 256 k ram, P4 1.6, and XP home.

Having installed SP2 the machine said it was rebooting, after it had done so it said "unable to find/locate WINSRV"

From this situation the only alternatives he has are to reboot or reset, and doing either only results in a repeat of the above message.

Anyone got any suggestions ?

ORAC
30th Sep 2004, 15:43
MS Knowledge Base (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;885523) answer reference WINSRV.

Diver, reference Wavefinder. It is a known issue with no solution. The only way to get it to work is to uninstall SP2, even then most people have had to reformat and reinstall XP. With all the hassle to date with it and XP I doubt if there is anyone working on fixing it.

henry crun
30th Sep 2004, 21:31
Thanks Orac, I don't think he is going to be very pleased to hear that.

Globaliser
13th Oct 2004, 12:50
Captain Sensible: As far as I can see, you've got to get the damn thing done or else you don't get any further Updates and therefore no future protection.Just to report that despite declining SP2, I've had a few further automatic updates offered and installed today:- KB numbers KB834707, KB840987, KB873376, KB841356, KB841533 and KB873374. Four of these are said to be security updates for XP, and one is an update to IE6 SP1.

So it looks like MS will still carry on patching XP SP1 if SP2 isn't installed.