PDA

View Full Version : EMB120 Brasilia gruelling/demanding to fly?

No worries mate
7th Feb 2004, 19:06
Recently I spoke to a few pilots who have flown both the EMB120 and the Dash 8 and they told me the that the EMB120 was a gruelling aircraft to fly compared to the Dash 8. They reakon a day's flying in the Dash 8 was a 100% better than in the EMB120. They said the Dash 8 was a nice to hand fly, while the EMB120 was a handfull and you really needed to keep the autopilot on. Does anyone else share the same thoughts?

Travelair
7th Feb 2004, 23:03
Ive never flown -8, but from the sim and third seat rides in the 120, it has not seem to be an ugly horse at all.

aussiebadger
8th Feb 2004, 18:12
Flew the EMB120 for a now deceased QLD airline. I imagine the Embraer is not as roomy as the Dash up the front, however, I found the 120 to be a great performing, nice handling and very reliable aircraft.

I'm gone!
9th Feb 2004, 11:23
Give me the EMB120 any day. It actually performs as a pressurised turbo-prop should!

The Dash is nice to fly but the preformance (lack of) is frustrating.

Unless you want to land and stop in about 500m than the Bras is my pick:ok:

Cheers,
I'm gone!

Capt Claret
10th Feb 2004, 07:54
I started flying the Dash in '95. A number of ex Flight West pilots also started at about the same time, mostly they had been transferred to the EMB120 with Flight West when Flight West & Talair phased out the Dash, and they wanted to go back onto the Dash.

The general consensus, as I remember it, was, the EMB120 was good if you'd climbed the ladder into it, but compared poorly if one had moved backwards from something like the Dash.

I've not flown the EMB but loved flying the Dash, and not that we ever raced but ex MA to TL, if we took off first in the DH8-200, the Bras couldn't catch us. If we took off second and the wind would allow straight in on RWY07, we'd be on the ramp before the Bras could taxi in after an over the horizon landing roll on RWY 01/19!!

:E