PDA

View Full Version : emirates pilots

chrtrplt
6th Feb 2004, 22:38
Are there many Americans, if any, working for Emirates. I am interested in applying but I am not sure if the company is receptive to Americans with the current ways of the world. If there are Americans working at Emirates, how is it living in Dubai and are you treated differently from the citizens and the company? Do I have a chance of getting an interview and subsequently get hired? Any other info that might be useful will be appreciated. Thanks very much.

saly
7th Feb 2004, 02:39
Yes you should apply right now a lot off Americans have been accepted ……………… and about the live you well be boos.:}

bus canuck
7th Feb 2004, 11:25
chrtrplt,

We've just hired a bunch of American pilots.

Personally, I think it would be harder being here as an American than other nationalities, but that would be up to you. Most people I talk to hate George W, but not all Americans. If you keep your Republican membership card safely tucked away, you should be fine.

Bottom line is if you are open minded and a decent bloke, you should not have any problems.

Not sure if that answers your questions or not...

Jim Morehead
7th Feb 2004, 15:07
Canuck and Saly. You mentioned a "bunch" of Americans had just been hired. Is there any reason for this? Is it any more than a year ago, for example? Is it because of EK's accelerated airplane deliveries if that is the case?

On getting along, were the questions implied by the posters meaning to ask how they got along in the cockpit, the cabin crew, the passengers, or the local citizens?

I was in Abu Dhabi this week for 4 days and did the trip to Dubai and was pleasantly surprised.

I think many in the world believed that the middle east in the DXB area was like some town in the outback of Australia with dirt streets, some old derelict hourses, and lynchings by the locals complete with animal slayings daily. Now there are some small towns that I drove through that might have looked a little like this,but I saw lots of expensive buildings, McDonald's every five miles, marinas with nice boats, and shopping centers in the city.

BTW, what is the variety of the pilot group? Canadians? Brits? Aussies? Any other big groups?

Also in the EK web site it talked about a "little technical oral" Exactly what does that mean? Does that mean a Flight Operations person ask you to describe the difference between a VASI and CAT2 landing or does that mean diagram the electrical system (of an airplane you have not flown in a few years) in color in 60 seconds? Is this oral flexible or is someone reading from a script so all people get the same questions?

bus canuck
7th Feb 2004, 18:03
Good day Jim,

I'll see if I can answer your questions:

I'm aware of a few Americans hired within the past 4 months. A couple were ex-TWA/American. I think that they were either laid-off or about to be. I believe there are also ex-US Airways types. EK is hiring like crazy because of planned and un-planned expansion.

I wasn't sure if the original poster meant 'get along' in Dubai or in the flightdeck. My general answer covers both.

The pilot group is extremely diverse. Apparently over 50 nationalities. Not sure which group is the biggest. Lots of UAE Nationals, Aussie's, Kiwi's, Brits, S. Africans, and Canadians.

The tech exam I was given was a written multiple-guess type exam. Basic ATPL stuff.

Hope this helps...

typhoonpilot
7th Feb 2004, 20:00
chrtrplt:

There are a number of Americans now working as pilots for Emirates. There are also Americans in ground training roles as well as management. The number of pilots with a U.S. passport versus the number who were born and raised in America is different. There are defintely some dual nationals here. As there are a number who came from U.S. airlines in the last year but aren't " American " in the way you are asking.

Emirates did have a reluctance to hire Americans up until a year ago, but then they just couldn't ignore the number of applicants that they had from there. I think they have been very careful not to hire the loud " ugly American " type but that really goes for their selection of every pilot no matter where they are from. They try to hire people who will fit in to the multi-cultural environment and they do a very good job of it.

If you haven't been to Dubai or the Middle East it is a little difficult to describe how it is to live here. I compare it to a cross between Florida and California in terms of lifestyle. It is starting to have that endless strip mall feeling that so annoys me about Florida but there are lots of activities on the beach and in the desert that are comparable to those two states.

As to how Americans are treated here compared to other nationalities it is easy to just say we are Canadians, eh ;) Everybody likes Canadians :D Seriously though, it hasn't been a problem as long as you are respectful of other people and their cultures.

As to your last question, it would all depend on your qualifications. They tend to be after guys who are qualified and current on modern narrow body equipment or better yet widebody.

Jim:

The reason for the increase in the number of Americans is quite easy actually. Things were so good in the States in the mid to late 90s that nobody really considered working overseas. Now that there are so many out of work that has changed.

BTW, what is the variety of the pilot group? Canadians? Brits? Aussies? Any other big groups? South Africans, Kiwis, Swedish, UAE nationals. Did I miss any ?

Typhoonpilot

Australia2
10th Feb 2004, 01:13
Jim,

Surely a bit harsh on the Australian Outback ?!
Compared to a McDonald's every 5 miles I think I'll stay with the slayings thanks.

Oz2

Jim Morehead
10th Feb 2004, 08:54
I think we all make relative choices. A job near one's home at less pay certainly can be attractive. A job paying more where one is gone 75% or more of the time ceases to be fun after a while. Of course,if one is gone a lot from a place they don't like as a home base, then it minimizes the pain and frustration. When a workplaces cease to be fun, then the grass often looks greener.

I assure you that every job and every location in the world is a trade off and no one place works for everyone.