PDA

View Full Version : Boys, toys & Naples Air Centre

Sensible
6th Feb 2004, 05:28
Naples now has world wide fame - it has earned a mention in the Daily Telegraph:
http://www.dailytelegraph.co.uk/arts/main.jhtml?xml=%2Farts%2F2004%2F02%2F05%2Fftfly05.xml&secureRefresh=true&_requestid=70933

Quote :
The ultimate boy's toy takes off
(Filed: 05/02/2004)

Forget sports cars and iPods; growing numbers of young professionals want to get hold of a pilot's licence. Helen Kirwan-Taylor reports

Clearly, I've been moving in the wrong circles. I've just discovered that the hottest lunch invitation is not to the the Fat Duck or the Wolseley, but to Le Touquet in France. The magic words are: "Meet me at Biggin Hill at 9am, and bring your passport."

More than 16,000 Britons now hold a private pilot's licence. This group has long included CEOs and pop stars. Paul McCartney has had four lessons recently – "He always has his head in a flying book in his spare time," said a friend this week.

But a new group of enthusiasts is emerging. Airport delays and security fears have made travellers look less fondly on the big commercial airlines, which might help to explain why more people – from young professionals looking for an antidote to office stress to pensioners in search of a new hobby – are learning to fly.

According to Nick Bloom, deputy editor of Pilot magazine and a former British aerobatic champion, flying enthusiasts fall into two distinct groups: those, like him, who grew up reading Biggles and dreamily assembling model aircraft; and practically minded City types who are looking for the ultimate boy's toy. "My generation grew up with aeroplanes," says Bloom. "We all knew about Lindbergh . My mother wanted to be an aviatrix. We thought flying was so glamorous and exciting. But a large percentage of those now learning to fly are doing it for convenience. They think a plane is just a useful tool to help get them from A to B. Of course, some think they're going to impress their secretaries by taking them to Le Touquet for lunch. They'll probably just make them sick."

But it seems that plenty of new pilots are also taking up flying for the wow-factor. One described the experience to me as being "as exciting as sex, but safer". "I've met wild geese on my flights and got so close to cranes I could almost touch them," says London banker Peter Ferres. "Flying is an out-of-this-world experience. You're really in the third dimension." Flying also keeps Ferres's stress levels down. "It teaches you to manage anxiety," he says, "and it makes you disciplined."

Charles Nicholls, CEO of a software company, was "completely blown away" by the excitement of his first flying lesson. "I think the reason so many professionals are attracted to flying is that it makes you focus," he says. "You can't think of anything else apart from the task at hand.

"Pilots talk about the `zone': that exciting moment when all attention is on one task. And it's exhilarating to be sharing airspace with the big jets and to follow a Boeing 737 on the instrument landing system."

Young male professionals with cash to spare used to be satisfied with driving fast cars, but that was all about speed. Flying, crucially, is about control. "It really brings out the traits of leadership," says Nicholls. "It's about mastering a complex skill and controlling a machine where there is always a real element of danger."

Not all wannabe pilots are so sensible: many seem to approach flying schools with an image of Tom Cruise in Top Gun fixed firmly in their minds. Tim Orchard, managing director of the British Airways Flying Club at Wycombe and a seasoned BA pilot, meets his fair share of speed maniacs.

"We do a briefing first in which we explain how to fly a plane," he says. "The women listen to the briefing and do exactly what they're told. The men – without exception – think they can do it better and faster than we tell them to. They can't resist pushing and pulling on the controls of the flight simulator. When we read the group their results after the simulation, is it always the women who score the highest."

British-born Nicola Gentil and her husband, Richard, run the Naples Air Centre, a flying school in Florida which, at the moment, is packed with British men and women of all ages who are taking advantage of the weak dollar: a typical flying lesson costs around $60 an hour in the States compared with £100 in Britain. Their students include a 65-year-old grandmother who was given flying lessons as a Christmas present and was instantly hooked. "Learning to fly takes at least 45 hours," says Nicola. Everyone arrives thinking they can do it in two weeks. What they don't realise is that it's the studying that takes up the hours, not the actual flying. There are seven written exams."

"It's the hardest thing I've ever done," says British banker Andrew Cornthwaite who, with his brother Nick, spent the New Year period getting his final pilot's qualifications at Naples Air Centre . Cornthwaite started flying by accident. "I heard my colleagues talking about it and I thought it sounded like fun," he says. "When I came back to the office and said I was now a pilot, everyone looked astonished."

Cornthwaite is now studying magazine adverts in search of a second-hand plane. "Flying is a challenge against yourself," he says. "The liberation is exhilarating. You see so many bankers buying fast cars to drive the six-mile stretch from Chelsea to Canary Wharf. I'm flying 130 miles an hour and I'm in complete control." But the habit does not come with his wife's blessing. "She refuses to fly with me," he says.

As hobbies go, flying doesn't come cheap, but it could be worse. Qualifying for an instrument flying licence costs about £5,000. Once airborne, new pilots can expect to spend, on average, a further £2,000 a year. But this is one hobby where you really have to put the hours in.

"Flying is a skill: it's a wonderful, liberating experience, but don't ask me to travel with anyone who does it for fun," says Rob Hersov, head of Net Jet, a company that runs fleets of small jets with professional pilots for an annual subscription fee. Though many of Hersov's friends, such as restaurateur Mogens Tholstrup, fly their own planes, he urges caution. "No one wants to be stopped and searched at Heathrow," he says, "but pilots should be professionals who fly all day, every day."

Flying lessons are commonly given as presents for St Valentine's Day and Christmas: but of those who make it to the airfield to take their first lessons, only two per cent will go on to become qualified pilots.

"Flying is about being cool in the face of crisis," says Tim Orchard. "You can't be a coward and fly, but then again, you can't be a grown-up either."

© Copyright of Telegraph Group Limited 2004. Terms & Conditions of reading.
Commercial information. Privacy Policy.

Alex Whittingham
6th Feb 2004, 20:39
Dunno about that last paragraph. I'm a coward and a pilot, but I am still alive.:cool:

Sensible
6th Feb 2004, 21:02
I'm a pilot and a coward and mabe that's why I'm still alive:cool:

Alex Whittingham
6th Feb 2004, 22:45
Ah, but are you a grown-up? Pilots need to be grown-up, no childish behaviour here please.

Sensible
6th Feb 2004, 22:58
No, No, No, you're wrong it says, final paragraph

"Flying is about being cool in the face of crisis," says Tim Orchard. "You can't be a coward and fly, but then again, you can't be a grown-up either."

But I am Sensible though! ;)

And nothing printed in the Telegraph has ever been known to be inaccurate! :rolleyes:

Flypuppy
6th Feb 2004, 23:28
<old joke warning>

A father takes his son to the local airport to watch the general hussle and bustle, aeroplanes landing and taking off etc. etc. The son announces "Dad, when I grow up I want to be a pilot" Dad, being world weary and wise, turns to his offspring and says, "Son, you can't have both."

Qualifying for an instrument flying licence costs about £5,000. WHERE??????

Alex Whittingham
6th Feb 2004, 23:49
You're absolutely right, its the end of a long week!

cumulus
7th Feb 2004, 00:26
"Pilots talk about the `zone': that exciting moment when all attention is on one task. And it's exhilarating to be sharing airspace with the big jets and to follow a Boeing 737 on the instrument landing system."

Young male professionals with cash to spare used to be satisfied with driving fast cars, but that was all about speed. Flying, crucially, is about control. "It really brings out the traits of leadership," says Nicholls. "It's about mastering a complex skill and controlling a machine where there is always a real element of danger."

What a load of b*****ks. This sort of article does GA more harm than good, as it makes it seem the preserve of rich and/or reckless yuppies. I have known train drivers, policemen, sailors, ATCOs, garage mechanics and Civil servants who have held PPLs, and they have all flown out of love for aviation, not because it is the fashionable thing to spend the bonus on.
The suggestion that people are getting private licenses as an alternative to taking commercial flights is also a load of ****e. for starters you need a JAA IR to make it viable, and even then it would only make sense for relatively short distances. Some of the article comes perilously close to qualifying for the "Warballs" column in Private Eye.
All in all, it tells you a lot more about the attitude of the paper and the journalist than it does about aviation. People from all walks of life have been flying for years in this country, but the Telegraph only seems to notice when Yuppies start spending their bonuses on lessons.
Anyway, rant over, here comes Nursey with my medication..........:mad:

Wee Weasley Welshman
7th Feb 2004, 01:50
What a tatty piece of journalism. I am starting to despair of the Telegraph. The Times is going to trash them as the over 60's die off.

The reality is that you need to be seriously wealthy to do any decent amount of GA these days. Sports flying is where the future lies for the average enthusiast.

Cheers

CaptainFillosan
7th Feb 2004, 02:03
Sadly, I think you do need some medication!

This sort of article does GA more harm than good, as it makes it seem the preserve of rich and/or reckless yuppies. I have known train drivers, policemen, sailors, ATCOs, garage mechanics and Civil servants who have held PPLs, and they have all flown out of love for aviation, not because it is the fashionable thing to spend the bonus on.

I think you have deliberately tried to avoid the real issue about GA, or it's big brother, the Commercial scene. I see nothing in the article that suggests that flying is the preserve of the rich. But........having said that you do have to have a good bank balance these days to achieve a PPL. 40-45 hrs is gonna set you back at least £4000 + the books and exams etc., that the Campaign Against Aviation 'steal' from you. See it's not just the government who know about stealth.

Anyway, it does GA a bit of good this article IMHO, and I would like to see more of them. The schools like those in the US and here work hard to get a reputation and some are fantastic. After the PPL it is a moment or two of reflection for a lot of people - about the possibility of making a career out of flying - then the real cost has to be met but it surprises me how many go for it. As they should if that is what they aspire to.

It's a while since I was at flying school but you cannot do without them. And I was one of those who used to say "get yourself up to Biggin at 0900 with your passport, we are off to Le Touq for lunch." A great day out.

If you want to be a commercial pilot just remember the cost, and go for the modular course and do it a bit at a time - but IN THE RIGHT ORDER! That is essential to avoid finding yourself a step ahead of yourself.

Good luck.

redsnail
7th Feb 2004, 03:03
Oh I haven't grown up. Don't intend to. :E
I like my toys. Spesh a bright red Ducati that sits in the lounge room. :}

CaptainFillosan
7th Feb 2004, 03:08
WWW, if your idea of a good newspaper is The Times I will have to start worrying about you! I read it today and I couldn't believe what a terrible paper it is now that it is a tabloid. :ugh: You need to be saved me thinks. :uhoh:

So is Sports flying cheaper? Don't you have to get a PPL first? Get real WWW you have to start somewhere. Like where you and I started, well not me I paid for ALL my flying, I think the Queen helped you a fair bit did she not. Or is that a rumour? Btw I spent many years doing sport flying and it did cost an arm and a leg.

Get of the horse and get some encouragement going for the guys who are trying VERY hard to achieve the same dream you and I got. Don't knock 'em - that is not what you of all people should be doing.

Wee Weasley Welshman
7th Feb 2004, 03:24
Yes Liz gave me a PPL and my first 400hrs in exchange for passing some tests, putting in some unpaid hours and trying quite hard. No apologies for that.

Sport flying is better at the moment. I have last summer tried microlight flying for the first time. Its a bit like riding a motorbike compared to GA driving a car.

If all you are interested in is fun then it wins hands down.

If its raining or miserable I frankly don't want to fly in a light aircraft for pleasure. If its nice I do - but then I might as well be in a micro or ultralight for a fraction of the cost on the same day from the same airfield.

Very very few people use light aircraft for touring or business purposes. At least half the tourers are of the biker metality and would happily save half the cost for the chance of getting wet and packing lighter.

There is more skill in flying the modern sports aircraft then in the 152/172/p38/p28/robin etc. etc. etc. There is more fun as well as they have better thrust/weight ratio and can be used to takeoff/land in more interesting places.

There is not much Group A flying that can be had for under £100 an hour. Thats too much.

Cheers

Pilot Pete
7th Feb 2004, 22:10
"We do a briefing first in which we explain how to fly a plane," he says. "The women listen to the briefing and do exactly what they're told. The men – without exception – think they can do it better and faster than we tell them to. They can't resist pushing and pulling on the controls of the flight simulator. When we read the group their results after the simulation, is it always the women who score the highest."

Interesting opinion I thought. Bit of a mass generalisation too I would have thought. "The men - without exception"????? This from a senior BA captain....................?

PP