PDA

View Full Version : Rotten: Hero or Villain?

VFE
6th Feb 2004, 00:51
Folks,

Never been a fan of the Sex Pistols music neither have I ever been a fan of reality TV shows such as the one John "Johnny Rotten" Lydon walked out of today. But, must admit the politics of the farcical procedings has amused me......

Was he making a point about the ridiculous nature of these reality TV shows in a brave way?

Was he selfishly using the show to kickstart his fledgling career? (gets my vote)

Is he a big gay baby who cares little for charity and who should never have accepted the challenge in the first place?

Did ITV once again knowingly manufacture controversy by picking a *sigh* notorious punk rocker famous for swearing on live TV in 1976 as a cheap publicity tool?

Did Lydon get the last laugh?

Do we really care?

VFE.

PS: I heard JJ Burnel from the Stranglers was initially asked ahead of Peter Andre but gave them a short sharp answer!

eal401
6th Feb 2004, 01:16
As I understand, he doesn't have a "fledgling career" he's actually quite well off!! He obviously thought it might be fun, but just got fed up by that dozy slapper Jordan, and that equally dozy Peter "I want to be Michael Jackson" Andre.

zarniwoop
6th Feb 2004, 01:36
Since when was John Lydon a celebrity? He hasn't done anything for 20 years.

Apparently he's a property dealer in America. From anti-establishment to arch-capitalist, good move.

Z.

surely not
6th Feb 2004, 01:41
Oh I don't know, his vocals on 'Open Up' on Leftism by Leftfield was pretty good!

tony draper
6th Feb 2004, 01:51
Gay ? did you sat gay? and to think someone likened him to Drapes.
:*

Mark my words noses will be pummeled. :E

Caslance
6th Feb 2004, 02:01
Neither hero nor villain - just the same old astute self-publicist he's always been.

redsnail
6th Feb 2004, 03:55
"open up" is a brilliant single. Bought the CD single of it. Played it full bore as I and a mate drove through Central Australia. Brilliant.
:D

surely not
6th Feb 2004, 04:12
The whole Leftfield album is brilliant................how spooky, a property prog on TV is using a track from it as I type this!!!

'open up' is excellent and would be one of my 10 discs to take to a desert island.

timmcat
6th Feb 2004, 04:25
and to think someone likened him to Drapes

Sorry Drapes, no offence intended (methinks we had better change the subject mighty quick before we incur the wrath of flappy.. :ouch: )

takenthe5thamendment
6th Feb 2004, 19:47
GAY??? Not Johnny!

He has a wife, Nora, who is 62 and worth a fortune.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2004060568,00.html

VFE
6th Feb 2004, 20:08
Me thinks someone took that rather too literally....... :p

VFE.

takenthe5thamendment
6th Feb 2004, 20:21
:D His wife looks pretty good for 62 doesn't she?!

VFE
6th Feb 2004, 21:00
Lydon is now locked away in a hotel room deep in talks with tabloid newspapers keen for his story. Gotta hand it to the fella, he knows how to use the media before they use him. Graduate of the Malcolm MacLaren school of mediawise opportunities class is our Lydon.

Ole Lydon talks plenty about being true to oneself and not play acting. His attack on Jordan last night was full of vindictiveness and jealousy. He says he hates the same attributes I see manifest within himself. The guy is one hodgepodge of screwiness which he should've had the balls to drop when punk evaporated. Instead he opted to maintain this ridiculous persona through fear of being branded a hypocrite. That to me is very, very, sad.

I have seen interviews where Lydon is quiet, calm and actually rather docile, talking with clarity and sense about the punk period. But this time he goes on TV, play acts, abuses others he deems to be play acting too and then walks off thinking he's some sort of moral crusader. It is about time ******s like him were not given airspace. If the idea is to get people talking then I suppose they succeeded by having him on but he's another one of those tick-turds who do nothing for the decline in our television entertainment which is slowly indulging diabolical shock tabloid TV with more and more gusto.

Happy to have got that off my chest. :}

VFE.

Jerricho
6th Feb 2004, 21:00
Hero? Villain? Who cares

He said the c word on TV . Haa haa haa haa................... :D

Little Blue
7th Feb 2004, 05:58
Looks like our Johnny has got us where he wants us..as he seems to have done with half the watching nation,,
Sure...he is a self publicist, but do u think he has a hidden agenda?
He knew exactly what he was doing the moment he accepted the "jungle gig"..he played the mood of the nation beautifully and it was only a matter of when...
The man is a national treasure...albeit on extended loan to LA !!
I'd vote him into number 10, anyday....
"She was a girl from Birmingham...."
;)

WeatherJinx
7th Feb 2004, 17:04
I think you're being a little hard on our Johnny, VFE..

I think he's subverted this particular piece of talent-free celebrity crap TV beautifully...:ok: