PDA

View Full Version : UK AMEs Class 1 Renewal Charges

Fence-sitter(?)
5th Feb 2004, 23:19
Would users care to post what their AMEs are currently charging for Renewals, specifically Class 1. Also, have people noticed significant differences in ECG charges (no pun intended!)?

cortilla
6th Feb 2004, 07:30
posted something similar a couple of days ago. My last medical (a class 1 renewal) cost me £90 at BHX. Some of the tests i had to do were a bit surreal. I.e i didn't have a cup to do the business in, i had to pass the paper into the stream (literal words from the AME) whilst having to do a number one. Was very messy but i saved £20 from the previous one so it was worth it. I'm also really curios about the charges for an ecg and an audiogram.

witchdoctor
6th Feb 2004, 17:05
£165 for a class 1 renewal with ECG last year at MME and £111 for a basic renewal this year at NCL.

Methinks I've been had.:sad:

Fence-sitter(?)
6th Feb 2004, 20:01
The CAA rates are here by the way. http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/49/SRG_Med_Fees_2003.pdf Thanks for your feedback so far, Which outfit at BHX was it?

cortilla
8th Feb 2004, 01:06
Cant remember the name of the doc but he was at the airport itself and i felt he was very good, professional and too the point. Was also very good at explaining what he did

duir
8th Feb 2004, 02:24
My Class 1 renwal (Basic) of which I have only had 1 was £35. Done by a very decent chap (Pilot/Doctor) and seemed a real aviation enthusiast. He did it after surgery hours and waited for me even though I was 30 minutes late! To top it all he said "oh just send me a cheque for lets say £35 when you have got it", "is that okay?" Obviously really enjoyed helping out a newbee.
Why arn't there more people like that in Aviation?

cortilla
9th Feb 2004, 08:48
I also had a doctor like that once. slightly older chap. He asked how far i was in my training, then asked me if i was sponsored by an airline or not. As i told him i was not he dropped his price by about 20 pounds or so. But £35 pounds for a class 1 renewal, wow that's cheaper than going to the dentist for a check up for some people. If he's in the midlands could you pm me and i might give him a bell.

monkeyboy
9th Feb 2004, 17:20
I go to a chap in Wellwyn, Herts (Panshanger) who charges £50 for the basic renewal.

PM me if you want the details. Very reasonable, if you ask me, although he's slightly on the eccentric side!

MB

Fence-sitter(?)
10th Feb 2004, 18:11
Interesting how the rates vary. Gone are the days when a Bottle &/or 200 Ciggies would suffice (or are they?). Keep it coming, although I'm sure that it's all been said before on Prune somewhere, unfortunately I couldn't Search for the Subject.

mazzy1026
10th Feb 2004, 19:22
So what are the general proces for an initial class 2 at an AME ?

VFE
10th Feb 2004, 19:46
Sounds like your AME is the same one as mine Duir! My local AME is a retired doctor who renewed mine last year at very short notice at his house! Pricewise it was £35. Really decent bloke.

VFE.

mad_jock
10th Feb 2004, 20:33
I have always found the AME's who fly are more than helpful.

The charges are suggested by the CAA but are set by themselves.

There is one bloke up our way who is expensive as hell and also has a nasty habit of failing people for additional tests (which are always negative to my knowledge) who then go through hell to regain their medical.

The unfortunate up shot of this is that everyone does a 90mile trip to the next nearest.

Up shot is that when another medical examiner applies to the CAA the CAA says there isn't enough work for 2. When in fact there is more than enough but it all goes elsewhere.

I have always found that when a AME knows you are paying for the medical yourself and that you are skint they will help out as much as they can. I know my next medical which will be on expenses will be more than the last 3 years together. Remember if you are loyal to a AME they will be alot more pleasant back. And the years after to have a proper job are their pay back time.

And if you do get a AME who gives you a huge discount keep it to yourself. All it takes is some tosser to phone up and demand a discount for everyone to loose out.

MJ

Honest Fr@nk
10th Feb 2004, 21:01
Yep, £50 for a basic renewal-use the same as monkeyboy in Welwyn, Herts. And he is mad.

Cat IIIC
18th Feb 2004, 04:16
Frank and monkeyboy, can't have you dissing our AME in Herts. I look forward to my medical just for the fun factor. ;)