PDA

View Full Version : Are The Airlines Shortsighted?

nicksmalley
5th Feb 2004, 20:10
Hi all,

I've recently been to Gatwick and got my JAA Class 1 medical but as a glasses wearer, I am concerned that when I apply for jobs as a pilot, my eyesight will hold me back?

I was just wondering if anyone had experienced and heard anything about whether they are concerned with your exact eyesight or whether as long as you get your class 1 you should be ok?

Thanks very much

Nick

Ropey Pilot
5th Feb 2004, 21:20
Not qualified myself, so this is just an opinion but...

If your eyesight was too bad to fly commercially you would not pass a class 1 medical.

Other than the issue of the medical everything else should be medical-in-confidence anyway, an employer couldn't ask if your kidney function was slightly iffy - they just know it is sufficient to pass the hight rigorous standards required by the CAA...

Can't see a prob myself and wouldn't worry about it. :8 :ok:

RP

AerocatS2A
8th Feb 2004, 23:08
It doesn't matter, you passed the medical which means you meet the standard and that's all they care about. There are many many pilots who wear glasses or contacts.

Night Las Palmas
8th Feb 2004, 23:52
I've worn my spec's to a few interviews, the only one i din't get had more to do with my mouth than my eyes:D

As long as you can meet the class 1 standards it won't be a problem.

Speedbird19
10th Feb 2004, 01:27
And anyway if you wear contacts on first impression they would never know how bad your eyes where!
Until they saw your medical, but even that will just say must carry a spare pare of specs!