PDA

View Full Version : Book writing software / templates

Mo Heekan
5th Feb 2004, 04:30
Hi Chaps,

Maybe this isn't the best place to ask, but I've always wanted to write a 'non fiction' book and want some help, so here goes:

I'd like some software or templates that help me organise the book into a manageable structure. There's lots of software that does this for fiction writing and screen plays, but not for factual writing. If anyone would kindly suggest either a software programme or tempaltes I could use, I'd really appreciate it.

Thank you all in avance

Mo

Mac the Knife
6th Feb 2004, 02:04
Best place to start is with a typewriter, a box-file and a ream of paper. No computer, too many opportunities to fiddle with the hardware/software, go PPRuNing and otherwise distract yourself. These programs tend to have you concentrating on the presentation before you have any writing to present!

It gives you hard copy that you can review in bed or on the loo or in the train, less of the ability to "instant erase" (so you have to think a bit more) and you can always scan it (or retype it) when it starts to take shape. Much easier to get those good thoughts down without having to wait for the PC to boot (and then you just have to check your email of course...).

Double or triple space it, get some colored pencils, scissors and a pot of paste. You can get an excellent second hand typewriter for a song these days and they last forever (I've had my little Olympia portable for 30 years and it's still going strong).

Seriously.

Mo Heekan
6th Feb 2004, 03:14
Thank you Mac for taking the time to 'pen' a reply. You're absolutely right of course, but I can't fit the type writer in my pilot bag :)

Good advice re the spacing though. I guess I'd better start tapping away..........

Cheers

Mac the Knife
6th Feb 2004, 04:18
Sorry, didn't know your circumstances :\

Heiko Webers' (Hesky-Data Software) PAD http://www.hds-pad.com/ is the best writing tool I've found. Good support for projects (chapters), search&replace and lots of other goodies. Not expensive. No spell-checker though. Due for an update that Heiko tells me that should come out "real soon now".

Jan Goyvaerts' EditPad Pro http://www.editpadpro.com/ is also good with lots of bells & whistles though fractionally less easy to use and more expensive. Has a spell-checker and regular updates.

These are the two best "straight writing" apps I've found. Good luck with your endeavours!

Mo Heekan
6th Feb 2004, 18:41
Thanks again Mac,

I think Word is fine for the writing; i just wanted a book template to structure things correctly. All of the MS templates I have found don't have a template for a 'book'. I'm sure I can spend hours doing a template myself, but i wanted one that was freely available and was structured correectly for a publishing house.

Anyhow, thank you again for your time in replying.

Regards

Mo