PDA

View Full Version : Messenger.. how can I get rid of it?

timmcat
5th Feb 2004, 02:21
As one who despises unwanted background programs - I just can't rid myself of Messenger.

OS is XP home.

I've unticked it in the services tab of msconfig..

I've unchecked the 'automatically log on to Messenger' tab in OE options.. (the windows messenger item in the OE tools menu is now grayed out).

There's nothing in the Startup folder..

There's no mention in the msconfig startup tab..

And now the bloomin' thing is creating a 'messenger has encountered a problem and will have to close..' box every few minutes. Just wish it would'nt start in the first place.

Any suggestions?

Naples Air Center, Inc.
5th Feb 2004, 02:58
timmcat,

Is your problem the Windows Instant Messenger or the Messenger Service that Windows runs in the background?

To Stop the Messenger Service:

Start >> Control Panel >> Administrative Tools >> Services

Then Find Messenger and change Startup Type from Automatic to Manual.

Take Care,

Richard

goates
5th Feb 2004, 03:00
Note that there are 2 different Messengers under Windows XP. One is the MSM Messenger that is very popular for instant messenging. The other is used by administrators (and spammers) to send messages to client computers and is not needed by many people at all. To disable the second one, go to Control Panels >> Administrator Tools >> Services (I think you can access this in the home edition). Once there look for the Messenger service, open it change the startup type to disabled. If you want to get rid of MSN Messenger, you should just be able to go to the Add/Remove control panel. The Messenger refferred to under OE is the MSN Messenger, and will not affect the Windows Messenger.

goates

PS - Looks like Richard beat me to it. :D

flapsforty
5th Feb 2004, 03:30
timmcat, I am having exactly the same probs with the same OS.
Like you have unchecked the box that says 'start up every time you start windiws' but it doesn't stop the %¤£# thing from starting up every time I log onto my part of our family PC.
It is driving me bonkers, but I am afraid to uninstall MSN messenger as my kids love it and use it continually.
If any genius out there knows how to stop MSN from starting up on it's own, PLEASE enlighten.......... :sad:

goates
5th Feb 2004, 03:41
There are a few places that you have to check. One is the OE option already mentioned, and another is in MSN Messenger's options. It has an option to run at Windows startup in one of the tabs (I can't remember which and don't have access right now). I seem to remember another place, but can't think of it at the moment, possibly the internet options control panel.

A more extreme option would be to remove MSN Messenger and use a 3rd Party program like Trillian Pro. These programs are usually a bit easier to control than the Microsoft ones.

goates

TR4A
5th Feb 2004, 04:31
Try MSN/Windows Messenger Resources (http://messenger.jonathankay.com/)

timmcat
5th Feb 2004, 05:40
Thanks for the replies - didn't realise there were two different issues here. It's definitly 'Messenger' that is the culprit here. I have corrected the issue mentioned by Richard and Goates, and at the moment (after a clean boot) I am not getting the error message.. however, a quick look at the process tab in task manager shows I am still running msmsgs.exe - which, I assume, is the blighter I'm trying to quit.

(Flappy.. I think in MSN messenger there is an option to stop the thing loading at boot - I know, I disabled it sometime ago but originally thought the subject of this thread was one and the same. Seem to recall you either right click or double click on the MSN messenger icon in the taskbar to get to the options menu.)

TR4A
5th Feb 2004, 06:48
I un-installed it. It has a nasty habit of reactivating its self.

flapsforty
6th Feb 2004, 00:30
TR4A I clicked through your link and found a whole site full of people asking the same question about MSN messenger.
Not ONE answer though....... :sad:

timmcat, no joy with your task-bar suggestion either, ruddy MSN driving me bonkers. :mad:

But both of you thanks for trying to help. :ok:

goates
6th Feb 2004, 00:56
This link (http://www.nikush.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2121) may be of some use.

goates

slj
7th Feb 2004, 04:39
I managed to get rid of oith from the start up by downloading the trial version of Tune Up Utilities from http://www.tune-up.com

It has got them out of my sight although , no doubt, they are still lurking somewhere.

At least they don't automatically load up.

An easy and relatively painless way