PDA

View Full Version : Excel (continental Express) interview

morenof
5th Feb 2004, 01:50
hello

I am scheduled for an interview with Excel (continentalexpress) on Feb 16.....anyone has participated in their interview process? I appreciate any tips.

weasil
9th Feb 2004, 08:21
try www.aviationinterviews.com

Express Jet (Continental Express)
Address: 1600 Smith Street, HQSCE Houston, TX 77002
Fax: (713) 324-5940
Phone: express jet

Date of interview (year, month, day): 2004-03-11
Date interview was submitted (year, month, day, time): 2004-02-13 05:12:48
Were you hired as a result of this interview? waiting to hear
Total flight time: 2650
PIC flight time: 2500
PIC TURBINE flight time: 900
Total multi engine flight time: 600
Did someone walk in your application/ resume? yes
How many letters of recommendation did you bring? 5
Are you a CFI? yes
Are you a CFII? yes
Are you a MEI? yes
How long after you sent your resume were you called? 1 weeks
Do you have a college degree? 4 year
Do you have a military background? no
What is your current job? 135
What is your age? 24
What aircraft were you assigned? N/A
If you were hired what is your training date? 0000-00-00

Interview experience:
Figured I'd throw in my bit of information, though much of it isn't any different than what the last guy said. Approximately 15-18 people interviewed during my slot, all but 1 were male. 1 USMC FA-18/T-34 pilot, King Air Ambulance pilot, Female traffic watch/CFI, 3 Ameriflight(2 Chieftain & 1 BE99), Shuttle America Saab FO, Fed Ex Feeder Pilot, maybe 1 or 2 Flight School Chief CFI's, a German Air Force Pilot(he had 2 Big logbooks full!), A C-500/SA227 pilot who'd been outta flying for a while, a few others I don't remember. Time varies from A LOT, to approximately 1700 I think was the lowest, average I'd say was probably 2000-2500, ~600 multi or so. The prior guy was right on, scenario's off of cards, wanted to know what you would do and why? Mine was, "Took off with minimum fuel, and at 500' on the ILS you lose an engine, what would you do?" I think, luckily, mine was one of the more cut and dry questions, some had several possibilities, but believe it or not, I think that based on the reactions of the interviewers(3 F.O.'s) ALL of them had a correct answer. Since what the last guy posted was right on, some other stuff, forecasting 300-350 pilot this year, as of right now, they've got ~460 people they are "planning" to interview, from what I remember, 150 the first week, 40 the next, and I guess on down the line. I have friends with type ratings and more time but no 135 time not yet called to interview, so as to how they pick who interviews? I have no idea what's considered MOST competitive. I will say our interview experience was a little different than most this week, from what I've heard. At the end of the interview process, at the last minute, we were told if anyone could "possibly" accept a February 16th class date, to stick around. One of the interviewers chimed in and reminded us that "seniority is everything," so about 7 raised their hands. This is where it gets vague, somehow, somewhere, during the hour wait, a few were taken from the original 7 people. Sent home? Possibly not going to be offered a job? I have no idea? But in the end, 4 were interviewed by the 3 on 1 method. From what I've heard, at least 1 probably all were offered the Feb. 16th class date. So as far as I can tell, there are ~7 newhires in this class on the 16th, along with more XJT people. The next class is, like it's said before, March 8th. I've heard the 3 on 1 interview was very non-confrontational, more of another "why you, and why us" interview. Be yourself, and all will be good. Hope this helps! Sure was nice for people to get on the ball and post some BEFORE my interview, would've helped, you scratch mine, I'll scratch yours, oh well!

weasil
14th Feb 2004, 00:04
Date of interview (year, month, day): 2004-02-10
Date interview was submitted (year, month, day, time): 2004-02-12 12:45:59
Total flight time: 0
PIC flight time: 0
PIC TURBINE flight time: 0
Total multi engine flight time: 0
Did someone walk in your application/ resume? no
How many letters of recommendation did you bring? 0
Are you a CFI? no
Are you a CFII? no
Are you a MEI? no
How long after you sent your resume were you called? 0 weeks
Do you have a college degree? other
What is your current job? other
What is your age? 0

Interview experience:
Our interview process has several phases. The interview on the 10th was a preliminary interview (express jet phase III), and some were called to come for a second and final interview on 2/18/04. Others were told to re-apply in several months. I believe the second interview is to gather some of the higher-ups in order to let them interview the most competitive applicants. The second interview (express jet phase IV) is a 3 on 1 interview with cp's and asst cp's. And there will be applicants from the 9th there also from what I understand. Anyway, the first face to face interview was very professional and organized. The class date was explained to us to be on 3/8. First, they gave us a presentation about the company. Then, everyone (about 20 of us) was given a scenario via a card. We were to read the scenario out loud and explain how we'd deal with that scenario. Very basic stuff, i.e. captains seatbelt issue, captain wants to take liquor from galley, you lose an engine on short final inside the marker with low fuel, high on visual and capt wants to continue, etc. Then they'd ask specific questions about your background. They knew what to ask because they poured over your logbooks fro about an hour while they were giving us a presentation about the company. Make sure there is nothing in your logbook that they can pick at. sic time in airplanes that don’t require sic is BAD. If they find anything like that they'll grill you on the systems, and ask how you can log that time. They found several people with questionable flight time logged so be careful. They were questioned in front of everyone and it was an embarrassing thing for all of us to hear these guys trying to explain themselves. Make sure the flight time grid and logbooks match your resume. Anyway, after the scenario, they would ask us about specific systems on airplanes we’ve flown, 91.175, emergency's we’ve had, what makes a good captain, why express jet, standard questions. I’ve been told that after phase IV we'll know if were hired, then orientation on the 26th, and class on 3/8. Good luck to all.

Date of interview (year, month, day): 2004-02-01
Date interview was submitted (year, month, day, time): 2004-02-10 22:02:14
Total flight time: 0
PIC flight time: 0
PIC TURBINE flight time: 0
Total multi engine flight time: 0
Did someone walk in your application/ resume? no
How many letters of recommendation did you bring? 2
Are you a CFI? yes
Are you a CFII? yes
Are you a MEI? no
How long after you sent your resume were you called? 1 weeks
Do you have a college degree? other
What is your current job? other
What is your age? 0

Interview experience:
Very laid back interview. About 10 of us there. All of us go to same room and hand our photocopied certificates, passport, etc. and our logbooks to another interviewer Mike. Dawn Daniel gives us an intro to the company and lets everyone introduce themselves. After that we took a break. When we got back they hand everyone a sheet with a situation on it. (Capt goes below mins, Nav light out on Xmas eve, Captain want you to pull a circuit breaker on the CVR, You become disoriented on a circling approach, etc What do you do) We were able to discuss these with the people next to us. One by one they went around the room and had us tell our remedy to the situation we had. After you told your solution they would ask various questions about your flight time, MORA, Fuel system on your airplane, ever made a bad decision, etc. Once you were done with that you could sit and listen to everyones else and relax. That was the first part. If you get called for the second part they have you meet with a couple Chief pilots and one HR person (forgot their names) They sit in a room with these three and you get more questions about your flying, why COex, ever had an emergency, nothing too difficult really. Thats it...Good luck