PDA

View Full Version : Advice on the BlunderFlash 8

Lukeafb1
5th Feb 2004, 01:06
Guy starts a thread quite innocently and asks, since he’s new to digital photography and Prune, what digital camera Pruners would recommend for the beginner. Within six posts, we have contributors arguing the toss about which is the best black and white film for night-time photography in the Antarctic. Four posts later, someone is complaining bitterly, that it was extremely difficult to get hold of Eastman Color film in Port Stanley, during the Falklands Nastiness. Next Poster disagrees strongly and advises that Ma Swindley’s Off-Licence and Camera Emporium, just behind the cathedral, always carries plenty of stock of Eastman Color, although he does mention that his first trip to the Falklands was in 1998! InkyPoo21 makes a timely intervention and informs us that cockrels make damn fine pets.

Meanwhile, original Poster’s brain is starting to curdle, but he perseveres and mentions that he can only afford to spend about £300 on his proposed camera. Much ridicule and derision from the masses, who inform him that if he doesn’t spend at least £2,000 on the Tinky Winky D456, Hokey Cokey J60 (just under £3,000), or the BlunderFlash 9 (but most definitely NOT the BlunderFlash 8, which has Xchip parallax problems) he’s going to finish up with a complete lemon.

Original Poster decides to cut his losses and buys a new hi fi system (the new MegaBoom Surround Sound P500067, in case anyone wants to know).

You can always rely on Prune for useful and timely advice.

And so, my question is, has anyone managed to overcome the Xchip parallax problems on his/her BlunderFlash 8? I bought mine last month after asking Pruners for their advice!

Danny
5th Feb 2004, 01:49
Welcome to internet bulletin boards. Read this thread (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=116267) for an accurate assessment.

Seloco
5th Feb 2004, 02:00
For goodness sake Lukeafb1, a moron of 2 knows that the Xchip parallax problem on the BlunderFlash 8 is caused by excessive reticulative granulation introduced at the disembobulation stage of manufacture due to inadequate filtering below the 2 picomicron layer. In later model chips, this problem was partially solved by chromatic searing of the macadamic granules prior to enfistration, but this fix cannot be retrospectively applied.

Purchasers of early model BlunderFlash 8s have found an alternative and ultimately successful solution by baking the BF8 for 2.7 hours at 2,345 degrees Kelvin under nitrogen at 47.2 atmospheres.

This results in its total destruction, thius necessitating the purchase of a BlunderFlash 9 which of course does not have the Xchip problem: easy!

Jerricho
5th Feb 2004, 02:12
I feel the unnecessary destruction of of a BF8 just highlights society's attitude to over-consumerism and waste.

Plus, we all know the BF9 rocks.

Anthony Carn
5th Feb 2004, 02:23
I can't agree with the proposal to bake microchips.

Microchips are specifically designed to be cooked in a microwave.

Mind you, I do microwave and grill oven chips, so I should talk.

surely not
5th Feb 2004, 03:20
A cockerel is a fine pet ..........................until it wakes you up at sunrise after you have only just gone to bed having been out all night drinking copious amounts of alcohol and have just finished having your way with your latest conquest. At this moment the only good cockerel is a dead cockerel.

chiglet
5th Feb 2004, 03:40
According to the gurlfiend, a dead cock is "useless" :{
watp,iktch

Capt.KAOS
5th Feb 2004, 03:48
Lukeafb1, Xchip has synchronising problems with BlunderFlash 8, but works fine with BlunderFlash 9.32 although it need to be overclocked.

BTW for the same $6500 you paid for the BF8, you'ld better buy a FuCanNik CoolPix 5000ZEXGRP with the latest B.S. 2.5 and GPS technology.

Cheers

Copt.KAAS

pigboat
5th Feb 2004, 04:13
The BF9 is ok if you don't mind living with "red eye."

AA SLF
5th Feb 2004, 05:17
Threads in Pprune get pulled "off topic", or even get "hi-jacked" outright?? Naw - no way ........... :p

See there Luke AFB , I stayed right "on topic". I too feel yer pain, happened to me many a time by certain "pairs/trios" of Ppruners! Still a nice place though to ask for advice, very large group of experience in here so don't quit "askin".

Tinstaafl
5th Feb 2004, 06:11
Why the surprise about thread creep? Has anyone ever paid attention to the topic variation in a typical verbal conversation? Just the same.

answer=42
5th Feb 2004, 07:00
Well, I started an innocent little thread about wardrobe functionality and what do I get for my pains? Of the 27 replies by others, 22 did not even mention furniture! Most were about sex. If things go on like this, pretty soon Jet Blast will be all about sex and violence. And then where would we be?

Course the Blunderflash died after the Mark I. Mind you, if you forgot to pre-heat the methanol it could be a little slow to start in the morning.

answer=42

DC Meatloaf
5th Feb 2004, 13:42
Of course the BlunderFlash9 can trace its lineage directly to the KipperFlux1 and Lord Mountebaum-upon-Tweed's original design. Yet another British innovation the Americans think they've invented. I can't wait to see the Hollywood version of *that* story!

Ascend Charlie
5th Feb 2004, 14:16
Cockerels in the Falklands? Never would have happened in my day! Doggerel, now, is a different story. Cook it with your microchips and a bit of two-martyr sauce.

And as for hijacking threads, Justin Timberlake did it pretty well on US TV, and Janet Jackson, I believe, has seen a cockatoo....:8

Kaptin M
5th Feb 2004, 14:35
Oops sorry, I read that as Blunderfish which is another nickname for the American Flag fish, a small aquarium fish native to Florida, hence its name Jordanella floridae. It's a peaceful little omnivorous fish - a member of the Killie family - but prefers algae.
Its colours are red, blue and green, and so I thought that the parallax error you were referring to was the confusion caused when back vs front lighting is used, causing differential, refractive, ultra violet reflection on their scales.

Personally I prefer to use my Casio QV 3000EX digital camera to get the best shots, although you need to angle the lens at about a 15 degree downward angle to the glass, to avoid reflection.

And speaking of Florida, I wouldn't mind being there right now - the forecast for today was cloudy and 8-10 degrees C. In fact it's snowing and somewhwere around 1 or 2 degrees.
Weather forecasters - HUH!!

Anyway, sorry again - can't help you there.

Blunderbus - any of you remember those BIG glass marbles you used to play with, called a Blunderbus...agates, catseyes??
Do kids still play marbles?
I think I might have lost mine. :uhoh:

Solid Rust Twotter
5th Feb 2004, 16:58
Saw a Blunderfish once. 'Twas on the Kerguelen Islands of the Antarctic on a nightstop in the old Blunderjet days. Fine machine that and I remember the starting sequence went something like "Hold down the energise button with pinkie of left hand while simultaneously pulling out the low fuel pressure stop and release firebreathing salamander stop with the fingers of right hand and toes of the left foot.". That explains why blunderjet captains never wore socks. One old curmudgeon took a young hostie out for the evening...... (Mumble, drool)

Lukeafb1
5th Feb 2004, 17:11
Well, for the most part, this has come as a breath of fresh air. Really useful tips from Pruners who are actually on the ball!

I’d like to thank everyone, except Danny and Seloco, for their helpful and expert tips. In Danny’s case, he directed me to a web site which doesn’t exist and which tied my pc up for half an hour. It now has a strange green hue all over the screen, which I can’t get rid of. Does Danny exist?

I tried Seloco’s tip without thinking through the consequences. I still have Xchip parallax problems, but my BlunderFlash 8 now looks like a black cowpat.

Onan the Clumsy
5th Feb 2004, 22:19
Nobody owns a cat

Kaptin M
5th Feb 2004, 22:46
The excavator across the way does (own a Cat) - a D9, I think.

phnuff
6th Feb 2004, 00:41
For goodness sake Lukeafb1, a moron of 2 knows that the Xchip parallax problem on the BlunderFlash 8 is caused by excessive reticulative granulation introduced at the disembobulation stage of manufacture due to inadequate filtering below the 2 picomicron layer. In later model chips, this problem was partially solved by chromatic searing of the macadamic granules prior to enfistration, but this fix cannot be retrospectively applied.

Oh, if reticulative granulation is allowed under these rules, then
Mornington Cresent!!!

Anthony Carn
6th Feb 2004, 00:50
In Danny’s case, he directed me to a web site which doesn’t exist and which tied my pc up for half an hour. It now has a strange green hue all over the screen...........
That's nothing!

Some web sites (so I'm told, you understand) leave your keyboard all sticky. :E

timmcat
6th Feb 2004, 05:50
Mr Carn, seen your profile recently? - 69 posts per day?