PDA

View Full Version : Have-a-go-hero!!!

Bomber ARIS
4th Feb 2004, 16:51
When you've had enough of your co-pilot,justclick here (http://www.rotorhub.com/content/view.php?section=16&article=14) :eek:

donut king
4th Feb 2004, 22:14
SOP's are not law!

There are circumstances where we are even allowed to contradict air reg's. Saving life( one's self or others) falls into that.

Your employer may try to take action however, it may not stand up in a court of real law.

Anyone else correct me if I am wrong.

D.K

Bomber ARIS
4th Feb 2004, 22:19
Between take-off and landing, how should one account for the wee period spent free-fallling from the Captain's seat, doing the breast stroke and being the dope on the rope??

(Must be a hell of a view looking up at the bottom of one's own Dauphin (even if the pilot's door is hanging open!))

Let's say the commander had been single pilot in an auto-hover equipped machine, I wonder if................................

MOSTAFA
5th Feb 2004, 05:28
Couldn't the Co-Pilot swim.

Steve76
5th Feb 2004, 10:55
...perhaps the cojoe is just smarter than that.

John Eacott
5th Feb 2004, 11:21
Bearing in mind that it's a media article, and they have been known to get it slightly wrong in the past :rolleyes:

Whilst the headline & the first line imply he jumped from the aircraft, the later narrative states :

"Taylor handed the controls to Lt (JG) Strickland, and was then lowered into the sea. "

I suspect that any pilot who's made command of a Coastguard Dauphin would be rational enough to have discussed the options available with his crew, and taken this as the best and most expeditious. Maybe he was/is the strongest swimmer? Only an aircraft mechanic and a Coastguardman in the back? For one or both of them to have operated the winch, with associated patter, and for the co pilot to have flown whilst the PIC acted as rescue swimmer :ok: It strikes me they deserve a bit more than the unwarranted cynicism floating around here.

BZ, and I look forward to a more balanced report and assessment from the armchair critics. :*