PDA

View Full Version : Al Ain airshow.

White Knight
4th Feb 2004, 16:00
Anyone know what time of day the airshow starts down in Al Ain tomorrow (5th Feb).

Thanks

Jim Morehead
6th Feb 2004, 02:12
Well...I see that nobody answered you and I didn't want you to feel left out.

When I drove from Dubai yestereday, I wandered into the airshow and it was well and alive about 4:30-5:00pm on the 4th.

I thought the people hanging around were either protesting something or returning from the Hajj or waiting in line for security......

millerscourt
6th Feb 2004, 14:16
Do you mean Al Ain International???

I wish I had known about this in advance as I would have requested a trip to Sharjah as I like to get into this "lifestyle" thing when downroute.

Jim Did I miss anything??

Jim Morehead
6th Feb 2004, 14:45
Yes...the one and only!!

It was merely accidental on my part. I rented a car in AUH and drove to Dubai for a few hours. Then wanted to take a different route back so went to Al Ain. I saw the various banners around the city advertising the show.

I always like to look at airport large and small in different countries,so drove towards Al Ain after a short city tour. People were lined up all over the highway. Then I saw some aerobatic airplane over the terminal building and thought,"this guy is lost or their airliners in the UAE are pretty small!"

Then it occurred to me that the airshow was taking place. I wanted to be back to AUH before dark,so I did not stay long.

millerscourt
6th Feb 2004, 14:54
Jim

I am really envious of you having that day out.

I see you managed to survive the driving!!

Have you ever come across such a bunch of maniacs on the road before in your life????

Anyone got the statistics of deaths in accidents on the roads in the Gulf Region???

Jim Morehead
6th Feb 2004, 18:56
millerscourt
I had no real trouble driving. In the country, there are rarely cars. Some go extremely fast just like the autoban in Germany.
But it was an interesting experience. Actually I took a few of the smaller roads to follow the smaller cities to see what their lives were like.

I am there in the coolest part of the year and it was pleasantly warm. I will remember some goat that died a half mile short of town and perhaps that would remind one of the sometimes harsh conditions there in the desert.

RUDAS
7th Feb 2004, 20:22
the driving on the al ain-dubai road is insane! the funny thing is,there are radar speed cameras every 3km precisely,so you see guys in huge 4x4s racing past at at least 190kph then slamming on brakes every 2 or so kilometers,goodness knows what this does to their average speed!

Jim Morehead
7th Feb 2004, 22:22
If these guys were out there driving like this,then I certainly did not see them.

Barney Fife

777Goose
15th Feb 2004, 02:45
Last January I did a run from DXB down to Liwa, south of AUH in the empty quarter with an Emaratie. They were holding a hill climb on Morbeed, the highest dune at 300M. Reportly 50,000 locals in attendance and six caucasians. Anyway buddy Emaratie is doing 196K all the way. His govener keeps kicking in preventing a thermal runaway. They've got all the cameras as GPS corodinates which advises approching waypoint. My eyes were as big a sausers. Inshala we survived. Next time I'll drive myself thanks. Great bunch of guys and I had a great time camping out with the locals. Showed I needed to brush up on my Arabic though.

Goose