PDA

View Full Version : DC3 Flying at Mudgee

QSK?
4th Feb 2004, 11:16
I read some time ago in one of the Australian flying mags that a fly in of DC3s (C47s) was planned for March 7 at Mudgee NSW.

Unfortunately, I cannot find any info on the 'net or anywhere else. Has the event been cancelled? Can someone bring me up to date?

Thanks all.

Four Seven Eleven
4th Feb 2004, 12:39
QSK

From http://www.pngaa.net/news.htm

DC-3 AND DAKOTA REUNION - 7 March 2004 at Mudgee NSW.
A group of DC-3 and Dakota aeroplane buffs is planning a reunion of former aircrews, others associated with airlines that flew the aircraft, and those who simply have a soft spot for these famous planes.

Captain Curtis, a Senior Pilot with Discovery AirTours and one of those behind the DC-3/Dakota reunion said, ‘We’re looking for former pilots, engineers, hostesses, ground crew, check-in clerks and others associated with the DC-3/Dakota era - Butler Airways, TAA, Qantas, East West Airlines, Ansett, RebelAir, Air North, SetAir, many others and the RAAF. . . So many friendships were struck-up aboard DC-3s and Dakotas, including many that resulted in marriages. We want to bring these old friends together for this reunion’.

Captain Curtis said they would be flying several DC-3s for a nostalgic 1-hour flight from Sydney for the reunion, with some going early-morning so there would be the opportunity to visit a couple of wineries before the reunion which will be a traditional aviators’ ‘hangar party’ at Mudgee Airport. If people wish, there would be DC-3 short-flights over the Mudgee and Hunter Valley wine country to bring back memories from days past. Those who prefer to drive can join the group at Mudgee.

Price will be $295 per person including return air from Sydney, the winery visits, and lunch with wine. For those wishing to drive, the reunion will be $95 pp. For more information phone 1800 246 747 or visit www.dc3.com.au.

For full details please contact: Paul Bolger, 5 Tamarix Avenue, Bray Park Qld 4500, Ph/Fax 07 3889 6805. Please include name, address, phone/fax number (home & work) and mobile number.

Hope that helps.

Torres
4th Feb 2004, 19:09
The Paul Bolger of PNG and Ansett fame is the organiser?

Well, if anyone is familiar with DC3's - particular side saddle aircraft - it has to be Bolge!

And if Paul & Co are involved, there's bound to be some war stories swapped - not to mention a few blatant lies. :}

And if he tells you about the old button on a string out the FO's window, rattling on the fuselage trick to terrify the passengers, that's true. And if he tells you how many Highland labourers can be fitted in a DC3, under a cargo net, that's true too!!

My guess this could be a great reunion! :ok:

Great to hear you are still actively involved in aviation mate. :ok:

Bob

QSK?
5th Feb 2004, 08:01
Thanks Guys:

Many memories flying as a pax on DC3s in PNG as a kid.

The most memorable was flying from Moresby to Goroka in 1959 on a scheduled Qantas DC3 passenger flight (side saddle) with the doors off! My mother had her left arm around my head in a vicious headlock all the way as she was terrified I was going to wander off and get sucked out the door! It was the most uncomfortable flight I've ever had in my whole life.

Another flight from Madang to Goroka in 1962 on a MAL DC3 with a whole lot of huge live mudcrabs wrapped up in bamboo leaf string on the floor between the sidesaddle seats. Somehow the bamboo string wrapping came loose in flight, resulting in all the mudcrabs wandering at will all over the plane. All the pax were standing on their seats all the way to Goroka as nobody had the guts (including me) to chance their arm against 50 very large, razor-sharp nippers in an attempt to recapture the ******s. I did notice, however, that the cockpit door was suddenly closed during this incident when normally it remained open for airflow and cooling.

Apparently taking the doors off was standard practice if the aircraft was also carrying bags of cement of flour. I was told at the time that this was something to do with cement and flour dust having explosive potential in confined spaces. Any of you old Dak pilots got any direct experience or knowledge of this aspect?