PDA

View Full Version : Land of the rising sun

Power Up
4th Feb 2004, 09:44
Hey guys and gals,

Due to start the commercials soon (another one I know!).
I have always wanted to go to Japan, and curiosity got the better of me:

What kind of opportunities are out there in the far east for - especially Japan (in this case) a pilot in a JAA member state. And the oppotunities in general.

It will be many years before I would be able to look out there, but as I said - curiosity.

Thanks in advance

Autorotate
4th Feb 2004, 10:09
If you dont speak da language I think you will find it next to impossible to get in there and work. I keep in touch with a number of operators there and from what I understand none of them have non-japanese pilots.

Will be there in April at Nakanihon so will ask first hand what their company practice is.

Autorotate.

Power Up
4th Feb 2004, 13:40
Thanks Auto,

Would be interested to hear your findings - something about Japan just intruiges me, ever since I studied a couple of the martial arts, and the interest just deepened - even though I haven't practiced the arts for a few years

Cheers

Captain Lai Hai
6th Feb 2004, 00:23
I've heard that you have the sit the theory exams in Japanese effectively keeping the gaigin out.

Can't understand why the australian goverment doesn't insist on a reciprocal arrangement

Fly safe

Power Up
6th Feb 2004, 08:16
Capt Lai Hai,

Again curiosity - what is it like to get into the industry in your part of the world?

We always hear about the issues of Us, Canada and Europe, but never much on the East?

moosp
6th Feb 2004, 16:55
Yes Air Law in Japanese must be a bundle of fun for a non native speaker.

And Cpt L.H. when I took my Oz Air Law most of the test centre was filled with cadets from China Southern. How they managed with all the "Under the third part of section 28 (exemptions) notwithstanding under subregulation (4) in compliance with subregualtion (5)" type of stuff I really don't know.

That stuff bent my brain as a native English speaker. I take my hat off to those who pass when in their second or third language. :confused: