PDA

View Full Version : Home for some sun

redsnail
4th Feb 2004, 08:03
Wandering home for a couple of weeks to get the accent back on track.
Mainly hanging around Sinney.
Fly up to BNE on DJ 221 on the 16th of Feb. Fly back to Sinney on the 19th, DJ 258.
On Feb 26th, I fly back to the cold on QF 31. (via SIN)
Would like to catch up with as many as poss.
Cheers

OzExpat
4th Feb 2004, 15:59
:{ :{ Sorry reddo, but I can't get to Oz any time this month... :{ :{ Hope ya have lotsa fun, get a bit of a tan, get a bit of yer accent back - and liberate copious quantities of... hmmm, that's a given innit... :p

Woomera
4th Feb 2004, 16:07
How's Junior fareing in Northern climes? Had a heater installed? :}

W

redsnail
4th Feb 2004, 21:32
Aww Oz... we'll catch up in the Yoo Kay then.

Junior is happily parked up in the lounge room next to the central heating radiator. :D
He misses Cairns and the Cook Hwy. :ok:

Woomera
5th Feb 2004, 11:28
And misses the Yorkey's Knob roundabout (I think it was).....??

:}

W

the wizard of auz
5th Feb 2004, 13:34
Hey Reddo, me mate Ozex and me was having a wee snort not so long back, and he starts telling me he reckons you might drink me under the table. Now we both know that Ozex is fulla ****e, and was probaly just ****e stirring, but I fail to believe that its possible. So next time he is swanning around in the UK, I might just pop over and we can prove/disprove this little theory of his.
If nothing else, we can deliver a headache to remember to our mutual mate. :} ;)

Hugh Jarse
5th Feb 2004, 15:17
Don't embarrass yourself, Wiz.

Either that, or find yourself a liver donor for the next day:}

OzExpat
5th Feb 2004, 15:25
Hey wiz, there's no need to wait 6 months to run yer little experiement mate. reddo's already posted her itinerary here so I figure it'd be easy enuf for ya to meet up with her while she's in Oz. And, after all, it's you who want's to put me comments to the test, not me... I already know the truth! :p

the wizard of auz
5th Feb 2004, 15:34
Oh yee of little faith.
Ozex, its going to take me six month before I can afford a binge like that............. Bloody cockies. Just had another one do it to me, Bastard.

redsnail
6th Feb 2004, 01:13
Nah come on. I don't drink much, no more than the average pilot at Virgin Atlantic or BA :E .... Just ask The Voice. I don't drink much, then again just been out on a location scout for our next move. We tried a nice pub :D
Ooooh and there's a litre bottle of JD down stairs. :ok:

OzExpat
6th Feb 2004, 18:30
wiz... soundz like ya need to insist on gettin payment up front. If they won't do that, yer no worse off than ya'd be afterwards, when they still can't pay... the f*ckers...

But yer still gunna get done if ya try goin drink for drink with reddo... she don't drink much - just enuf to put ya under the table! :p

reddo... I'm sure that wiz enjoyed yer reference to the bottle of JD! :E Not that yer sayin anythin specific to him, o' course... ;)

the wizard of auz
6th Feb 2004, 19:11
you can stick ta JD .............where ever. I'm sworn off it.
Now if we is talking about tequila of Jim Beam....yawl got a date reddo!! ;) :}
No, Ozex, I didn't enjoy the referance........ I had flash backs of a burger wrapping taste. :p

Kaptin M
6th Feb 2004, 19:15
Did someone mention Jack Daniels?? :} :O

Jim Beam......THAT'S what made ya do the things ya did in MEL, wiz!!
Sickly sweet sh!te...the J.B. - not you!!

the wizard of auz
6th Feb 2004, 19:22
It was the Jacks that did it............... thats why I'm off it. :yuk: :}

redsnail
7th Feb 2004, 05:48
Ahhhh wiz, yes, for your sake I wouldn't touch JD again. Then again, it was a laugh. :E
I don't mind Jimbo. Might pick some up in the Duty Free. I wonder what my limit is again? :ooh:

Kaptin M
7th Feb 2004, 13:11
We have been getting away with 3 bottles each (supposedly 3 litres) for the last 7 or 8 years - buy 2 before you get to Oz, and the 3rd on arrival....or all 3 before you get here, if you want to lug them - as long as you declare on your customs form that you are bringing in more than your entitlement.
If you are bringing in less than the $400 allowance of other duty free items (incl. gifts) customs are usually pretty good about it, and allow you the extra - I have been doing it for that length of time and have never had a problem.
However entering BNE in October last year, a customs (female) officer told me that they were going to start "cracking down" on the 3 bottles, and limit it to 2.
I'm not sure if that is "Official Policy" or whether she had made that decision herself!!

Bundy O.P or Bundy Black is always a HUGE cost saving for rum drinkers.

Personally I'm getting lazy now and grab the pre-mixes at the Bottle shops - there's some pretty good stuff around...although Go Girl reckons it needs a boost - so it's always handy to have a bottle of Wild Gobbler around if she's in the neighbourhood!
Luckily for her, she's got a strong-willed driver :}

the wizard of auz
7th Feb 2004, 15:41
The limit is always to restrictive. Even if it was twenty litres, it would be to restrictive. :}

OzExpat
7th Feb 2004, 15:45
Yes KM, hearty congratulations are due to to you for having joined a small but growing list of folks who've succeeded in getting GG well and truly rat-faced! Maybe we can have a "show of hands" from all of those who've performed the same feat? :E

I'll kick it off... :ok:

Chocks Away
7th Feb 2004, 17:57
:O
Good stuff ReD... I'll pass that on to your Climbing teacher and we''ll Make a Date:}

C U

redsnail
7th Feb 2004, 18:28
KM,
thanks for that :) Let's hope Customs are nice on Mon morning.

Chocks,
Good one! :ok:

Oz,
My brother did. Some pub in the eastern suburbs. :}

mustafagander
8th Feb 2004, 17:30
Gday Reddo!
Keep me in the picture if there's a bit of a get together on. I'm off till Sat 14th. Please make it near a railway station - I can't risk a PCA these days

Meeb
8th Feb 2004, 21:00
Wandering home for a couple of weeks to get the accent back on track.

Goodo!

Some at Hemeriod might dispute the need... :p

Having a break before the course... good idea... have a good time, say 'hi' to Brissie for me... ;)

redsnail
9th Feb 2004, 07:41
Landed in Sydney. Managed to get the 3 bottles through with no worries. (Bottle of Jimbo, Moet, Verve cliquot)

Meeb :ok: will do, how's 73 treating ya?

Mustafa, will do too. (Bro's wedding on the 14th)

Tis good to be back :ok:

AIRWAY
9th Feb 2004, 20:36
Managed to get the 3 bottles through with no worries. (Bottle of Jimbo, Moet, Verve cliquot)

:ooh: 3 :p

Then you say that you dont drink much :} or was that the minimun that they allowed you to drink :}

redsnail
10th Feb 2004, 04:47
It's all I could carry :ugh:

OzExpat
10th Feb 2004, 19:00
reddo... you'll just havta remember, next time, to take a spare backpack with ya... :E

redsnail
11th Feb 2004, 05:48
Spare back pack is in the main bag. It's for all the shopping I am taking back :ok:
Checkers has given me a rather long list. :E

Tinstaafl
11th Feb 2004, 07:33
He gets PK withdrawals too?

OzExpat
11th Feb 2004, 15:12
I'm probably just being thick reddo, but why does the spare backpack only get used on the return journey? Is it gunna be overstressed THAT much? :p

redsnail
21st Feb 2004, 17:22
Enjoying myself immensely. I have managed to catch up with a lot of people. Thanks for that.
Back to winter on thurs, QF 31 ex SY at 22:15.

Does any one know when the GST refund booth closes at Sydney airport?

Kaptin M
21st Feb 2004, 22:16
From my experience with the GST refund, Reddo, be prepared for a loooooooooong wait.
It is obvious that it is NOT in the Govt's interest to refund taxes, and the service offered reflects this..again from my personal experience (and an email stating the same, sent to them.)

I joined a queue in BNE - the queue being about 8 or 10 ahead of me - served by 2 Customs officers.
The processing seemed, to me, to be deliberately slow with the computers taking about 3 times longer than it would have, had they been using carrier pidgeons instead!!

Non-Australian visitors seeking a rebate were refused a rebate on what has since been proven to be an incorrect interpretation of the rules. I have the email stating such.

To elaborate:-
Dear XXXX XXXXXXXX

You are correct in that travellers may purchase a number of goods totalling $300 (GST inclusive) from the same store. The tax invoice does not have to contain a single item totalling $300. The goods must have also been purchased within 30 days prior to the travellers departure from Australia.

For TRS purposes, it is a legal requirement that Customs can only accept an invoice for the purchase of goods where the total on the single invoice is $300 (GST inclusive) or more. If travellers present tax invoices at the TRS facility that are less than $300 their claim will be rejected, however, normal procedure is for the traveller to be advised that Customs will review their claim subject to them asking the retailer for an invoice consolidating their purchases onto one tax invoice totalling $300 (GST inclusive) or more.

I will refer your email to the TRS Supervisor at Brisbane Airport with a request to take appropropriate action to ensure that TRS officers do not misinterpet the tax invoice requirement.

Thank you for your concern and taking the time to write to us.

So Ms Snail, my recommendation would be to allow yourself at least 30 minutes prior to BOARDING TIME to complete your claim -if not longer.

Cheers.

tinpis
22nd Feb 2004, 11:11
Just think of as a contribution towards the funding of the next Redfern fraca Reddo. :mad:

redsnail
22nd Feb 2004, 11:21
Cheers Kap M,
I had planned an extra 30 odd min and I was only going to claim on 2 things. The boots (+$300) and the computer (+$2000). Thanks for the info.

Tinpis, it will be interesting to see what has been reported in the UK... :hmm:

Kaptin M
22nd Feb 2004, 13:01
No wuckers, Reddo.
Don't forget that the items you are claiming on must be available for sighting by customs, to verify that you are exporting them.

One of the Japanese ahead of me, was taking a surfboard out of Oz and had obviously checked it in, as you might decide to do (claim on as much as you can!!), but there is some arrangement you have to make in that case. Can't help you with it, but a call to customs, or an email to:- [email protected] should provide you with any info you need.
You can have the tax credited either to a credit card, or into an Oz bank account, so have the info handy in the latter case.

You may as well claim for the whip and suspenders, if you're gunna hit 'em for the boots. :cool: