PDA

View Full Version : This is gonna be complikated....

Wing Commander Fowler
4th Feb 2004, 04:08
Ok where to start...

my buddy got himself a virus - two in fact and Mcafee found them but couldn't erradicate them. So I spoke with their techies and they sent me instructions on how to do the business in DOS. This was followed to the letter and good enuff it found and disposed of those two and found and disposed of an other one too. The problem started when I switched the machine off and now XP doesn't work at all. The computer boots up and presents the log on screen and fools you into believing it's happening but only ever provides me with the wallpaper and a calendar on the wallpaper that my mate has downloaded. No Icons, no start bar just a VERY expensive calendar!

After about a minute windows shuts down and leaves me with the log on screen. If I hit the log on button it goes immediately into log off mode, restarts and gives the log on button, cycle begins again.

Now I have tried to enter the bios but the only option I get is to boot from CD. Tried this with the XP disc in and tried then to reload XP but it won't allow it.

Additional info: For like a nanosecond when it's shutting down you can see a mcafee window lurking (it looks like the one it gives you after a scan) and I'm wondering if mcafee has taken the pc hostage...

Would appreciate any advice on this one as it's got me baffled. Was wondering if I took his hard drive out and slaved it off mine could I uninstall mcafee and would that do the business? I could even re scan his hard drive maybe?

Help pleeeeeeease!!!

:\

ORAC
4th Feb 2004, 06:01
XP Repair (http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm)

Wing Commander Fowler
5th Feb 2004, 00:25
Err..... I feel a proper thicky now!! Wasn't complikated at all.

Thanx Orac (and thanx from my even thicker buddy too)

:ok: :ok: