PDA

View Full Version : Imc Rating - Abroad

SWADLER747
4th Feb 2004, 03:38
I am hoping to study abroad for my IMC Rating, anyone know any good schools.

I know about the Orlando Flight Training Centre...is there anywhere in Europe?

Thanks

FlyingForFun
4th Feb 2004, 16:18
Sorry - no, I don't know anywhere else. There will be a complete list of approved schools on the CAA website, though, you could start by looking there.

Do you mind if I ask why you want to go abroad, though? Are you actually planning on using the IMC rating when you return to the UK? Of all of the licenses and ratings, the IMC is the one which I would definitely not recommend doing abroad.

The thing which the rating prepares you for is, basically, flying IFR in IMC outside controlled airspace. But the vast majority of the world doesn't understand the concept of IFR outside of controlled airspace, so I would expect you will return to the UK without any real understanding of how to use your new rating. If the reason for doing the rating is just to get some experience to help with the IR, then that's fine... but if you have access to an appropriately equipped aircraft and intend actually flying it in IMC, then get some training which will teach you how to do that - and that means train in the UK.

Just my opinion, of course.

FFF
----------------

Field In Sight
4th Feb 2004, 16:47
Almost agree with FFF,

Do the full FAA IR in the states, this will give you a much larger selection of FTO's to choose from as you won't HAVE to go to a CAA approved school.

This will give you the UK IMC rating by paying (surprise, surprise) to have the CAA use a HP Laserjet to re-print your license on incredibly expensive A4 paper :}

Then as FFF says, this won't prepare you 100% for the problems you will face flying IMC in uncontrolled airspace in the UK.

Either pay an instructor to "put you through the mill" or buddy up with somebody for at least the first couple of flights when you get back.

I think this way will prepare you much more for intentional flying in IMC.

BTW I have an FAA IR but don't really use the IMC privileges as I am not a big proponent of the "Big sky theory" (do a search) which is sometimes required (especially at weekends) if Radar is not available to you.

SWADLER747
4th Feb 2004, 23:42
I have just passed my GFT, in the UK, I now have a total of 47 hrs or so.

I fancied going abroad, with the main attraction beign the cost. I will pay £140 per hour from April, for my flight training. A minimum of 15 hrs training is £2100, for the IMC flight training alone.

Orlando Flight Training (www.flyoft.com) offer a package for $1995, approx £1100, which includes all flight training, and 7 days accomodation etc !! I am hoping to go in October, although I am only 16 at the moment, and have a lot to sort out between now and then !!!

£1100+£500 for a flight = £1600, thats saving me £500 already !!

I would plan to exercise the privalages of the IMC Rating back in the UK.

Cheers

FlyingForFun
4th Feb 2004, 23:56
That £500 you've saved will buy you an extra 3.5 hours, near enough, at the £140/hr you quote for your home airfield. That might just about be enough to introduce you to flying IFR in Class G when you get home - I don't really know, because I haven't spoken to anyone who's done that transition. Also, I would recommend searching these forums for information about OFT before you commit to anything - lots has been written, and you may change your mind after reading it.

I presume, since you are posting in the Wannabes forum, that you are a Wannabe? In which case, my advice would be to do the IMC rating at home. Then, go abroad to hour-build, and to do the CPL. There is a good choice of CPL schools in America if you fancy going there. And for your hour-building, you can go anywhere in the world that takes your fancy.

There is some great flying in America, you are right to want to try it - but not right, IMHO, to choose the IMC rating as the reason for going across the pond.

FFF
--------------

PS - I thought you need to be 17 to do the skills test for the PPL? Or can you do the test before that age, but just not apply for the license until after your birthday? Just curious.

SWADLER747
5th Feb 2004, 00:03
FFF, Thanks For The Info...

I am 16, and have just completed the skills test although I cant get my licence till my 17th birthday. I dont want to fly more than 100hrs, as I ahope to apply for the CTC McAlpine scheme with EZY, & TCX. So I just wanted to achieve my IMC Rating as cheap as possible. I mean £500 alone is a lot of cash - to me !!!

I will read all before I make any decisions......thankyou !

Field In Sight
5th Feb 2004, 01:16
I did a currency check with the lad who did the 9hrs on the TV programme Spitfire Ace and he was in a similar position as you.

i.e. got a PPL and doesn't want to exceed a certain amount of hours because it would stop him getting on a sponsorship course.

My advice, once you get close to the max number of hours, start a new log book and put the hours in there. If the sponsorship deal doesn't materialise, you still have the hours.

I don't care what anybody else thinks about picking up bad habits if you have too many hours, blah, blah, blah.

What a load of b^llocks:mad:

FIS