PDA

View Full Version : KIDS TV OF THE SEVENTIES

OLD_EGG_BOUND
6th Jun 2001, 08:53
Does anyone remember a programme called LUDWIG (http://www.sausagenet.com/ludwig.htm) and if so was it really as bad as I believe. This wav file may jog your memory SOUNDS LIKE TONY CANT (http://www.sausagenet.com/sounds/ludwig.wav)

[This message has been edited by OLD_EGG_BOUND (edited 06 June 2001).]

Tartan Gannet
6th Jun 2001, 09:06
My abiding memory is of Susan Stranks and Magpie. Also Bagpuss.

OLD_EGG_BOUND
6th Jun 2001, 09:24
I have The complete works of bagpuss on DVD, 3 HOURS of joy (http://www.blackstar.co.uk/video/item/7000000058924)
Magpie (http://freespace.virgin.net/lol.marcus/magpie.htm)was not really my cup of tea.

[This message has been edited by OLD_EGG_BOUND (edited 06 June 2001).]

I'd rather
6th Jun 2001, 12:26
Ludwig was truly awful.

Anyone remember the Herb Garden?

Hersham Boy
6th Jun 2001, 14:09
You are going to LOVE these.

http://tv.cream.org

http://www.geocities.com/TelevisionCity/1011/index.html

Wasn't Ludwig that cross between Inspector Gadget and an egg?

Yep - Herb Garden. Lion with a green mane? Can't recall his name...

Hersh

------------------
I'm in the hi-fidelity first class traveling set and I think I need a Lear jet

Man-on-the-fence
6th Jun 2001, 14:23
Camberwick Green....priceless.

My dog was named after the dog from the greengrocers, Packet

PilotsPal
6th Jun 2001, 14:34
Hershie

I think it was called The Herbs and the lion's name was Parsley.

I seem to remember Dill the dog and someone called Rosemary.

Piston Jockey
6th Jun 2001, 15:57
Best was Dr Who

Wile E. Coyote
6th Jun 2001, 16:08
Noggin the Nog http://www.smallfilms.co.uk/noggin/people.htm was one of my favourites.

I don't like the Road Runner, though. Love the cartoons but can't stand him with that constant BEEP! BEEP! I want to catch him and kill him....

I'd rather
6th Jun 2001, 17:35
Yep, Parsley the Lion, Rosemary, Dill the Dog and the Chives, which I recall as a kind of Greek chorus.

Can't remember anything else about it, and other people my age (33) often don't seem to remember it, so I was starting to worry that I'd dreamed it..., so thanks Hersh and Pilots Pal.

Man-on-the-fence
6th Jun 2001, 17:49
Wasn't Chives the gardener?

Also Sage the owl

Wonderful

Anyone remember Hectors House?

Loki
6th Jun 2001, 21:16
wot about Crystal Tipps?

Send Clowns
6th Jun 2001, 21:52
Until the last couple of months I never realised that Bagpuss was pink, because we only had a black and white television. Quite a shock is was.

------------------
'Me here at last on the ground, you in mid air'

Dark Skies
6th Jun 2001, 23:01
Don't forget 'Hectors House' with his wife the cat and that feeky frog next door!!
Something strange going on in that neighbourhood!

------------------
Remember' Freight is the Hunter'

Eric
7th Jun 2001, 15:16
MOTF, The Chives were the schoolkids, Bayleaf was the gardener, (I'm Bayleaf, I'm the gardener, I work from early dawn. You'll find me sweeping up the leaves and tidying the lawn!)
I used to love that!
Anyone remember the Double Deckers?

tony draper
7th Jun 2001, 15:31
Huh! I can remember Muffin the Mule,Hank the Mexican,and later on the much higher tech Torchy the Battery Boy.
All on a 405 line b/w 12 inch eko in a cabinet the size of a tea chest
Ancient is Draper. :)

[This message has been edited by tony draper (edited 07 June 2001).]

Hagbard the Amateur
7th Jun 2001, 15:44
I'm amazed no one's mentioned The Magic Roundabout yet.

Also - Mr Ben, Noah and Nellie, Captain Pugwash. The cultural foundation of a generation.

Hagbard the Amateur
7th Jun 2001, 15:57
And, who could forget

ROOBARB!

Eric
7th Jun 2001, 16:00
And the biggest spotty dog that you ever did see!

Stiff Lil' Fingers
7th Jun 2001, 16:19
Can anyone remember 'Murphys Mob'? mediocre kids programme but fantastic theme tune - if I remember by Mike Moran - great guitar riffs and Barbara Dixon's (?) oh-so-husky voice. Worth watching for the song alone!

But, please, The Clangers...surely they were the best...more blue string pie for me!

spud's on the job
8th Jun 2001, 02:22
eh stiff?

Murphy's mob was the one about the kids hanging round a div 1 football club wasnt it? I think it was filmed at Watford,with the scottish bloke as the manager, if so the theme was sung by the punk bloke who was in auf wiedersehn pet - the one who topped himself, lyrics went something like:
everywhere you go/everything you see/someone saying no - its a tragedy/find another place cos you cant play here/dont want any lip so there/but you know its gonna be alright if we stick together/// etc

am I wrong or just sad?

Brakes...beer
8th Jun 2001, 16:36
Man-on-the-fence

I agree, but wasn't Camberwick Green a Trumpton spin-off? The highlight of my day was calling out the fire brigade:

Hugh,
Pugh,
Barney,
McGrew,
Cuthbert,
Dibble and
Grub!

(Aficionados, feel free to correct the spelling.)

Charlie Foxtrot India
8th Jun 2001, 16:56
There were the politically incorrect ones, Noddy and Big Ears who apparently slept in the same bed (I only remember the car, myself) Apparently there was something incorrect about Andy Pandy too, as well as his silly hat and living in the dirty laundry basket.

The druggies: Dylan from the Magic Roundabout; and Bill and Ben the Flowerpot men who were probably incoherent (flobalobalob) because of too much little WEED; Hector's House "I'm a very sleepy old Hector", the Road Runner who was on amphetamines...

Deputy Dawg, Penelope Pitstop, Thunderbirds, Scooby Doo, The Flintstones, Dr. Who, the REAL Star Trek, The Woodentops, Camberwick Green, Top of the Pops with Jimmy Saville, Watch with Mother, Playschool, Blue Peter (down shep) with John Noakes, Peter Pervert and Valerie Singleton (and varies zoo animals crapping on the studio floor), The Harlem Globetrotters...These are the shows I grew up with.

And all in black and white!

Oh hell, those were the sixties!!!!

[This message has been edited by Charlie Foxtrot India (edited 08 June 2001).]

Stiff Lil' Fingers
8th Jun 2001, 17:19
Spud, it would appear that I've completely lost the plot this time! You are absolutely right with the lyrics for Murphys Mob and I do recall it was sung by 'Wayne' from AP. Now what the hell was the song I was thinking about? I have a suspicion it might have been the theme tune to Taggart???? Must be some mental link there somewhere!

Don D Cake
8th Jun 2001, 17:33
Maggie Bell sang the lyrics of Taggarts theme tune.

In the Wacky Races,what was the name of the hill billy type bloke who had a bear sitting in the back of his truck?

OLD_EGG_BOUND
9th Jun 2001, 00:19
Arkansas Chugabug driven by Luke and Blubber Bear.

Boulder Mobile - Slag Brothers Rock and Gravel.

Creepy Coupe - Gruesome Twosome.

Ring-a-Ding Convert-A-Car - Prof. Pat Pending.

Crimson Haybailer - The Red Max.

Compact Pussycat - Penelopee Pitstop.

Army Surplus Special - The Sarge and Pt. Meegly.

The Bullet Proof Bomb - Ant Hill Mob.

Turbo Terrific - Peter Perfect.

Buzzwagon - Rufus Ruffcut and Sawtooth.

The Mean Machine - DD and Mutley.

Didn`t you learn anything at school?
I obviously didn`t.

Capt Vegemite
9th Jun 2001, 04:35
Tried not to miss Tis Was when I was working in Pommieland.

The Phanton Phlan Phlinger

------------------
click for signature (http://www.enter.net/%7Erichmar/Images/Farside/farside23.jpg)

Doctor Cruces
9th Jun 2001, 11:49
Roobarb and Custard..... MAGIC!!!

Anyone else remember "Space Patrol" starring Capt Larry Dart, Martin the Martian and Slim the Venusia? Flew around saving the universe in a hula-hoop surrounding a cylinder. Galasphere 347 was its number or something similar.

[This message has been edited by Doctor Cruces (edited 09 June 2001).]

RoyalRock
9th Jun 2001, 12:33
The list goes on and on and on....top times.

Mary, Mungo, and Midge did got on my parts though. I have no idea why but as a young lad they just annoyed me.

I think that Gerry Anderson should be made PM for his conrtibution to action puppet progs!!

Also anything that was done by Oliver Postgate. He was responsible for all the cardboard animations such as Paddington.

Sighhhhhhhhhhh I now have a 10 yr old daughter who has the complete collection of Watch with Mother, Magic Roundabout and anything else I can lay my hands on.

Power Ranger!!!!! Stick 'em where the sun doesn't shine!!

Airborne Hamster
10th Jun 2001, 04:53
But surely you're all missing the point...
Fingermouse was King (and Freddy was [and looked like]God)!

Tommee Boiyd
10th Jun 2001, 11:22
My heart leaps up when I behold,
A RAINBOW in the sky.

So it was when I was young,
So it is now I am old,
Or let me die.

For the child is father of the man,
And I would wish my days each bound,
By natural piety.

... Mr Ben, Bagpuss, Bod - aaah, those were the days!

Eagle18th
10th Jun 2001, 19:53
Hagbard and Dr Cruces -
Have to agree Roobarb was fantastic.
Remember the birds who used to take the p1ss out of Roobarb and Custard?

Whilst we're on about kids T.V. did anyone else used to fancy Marina from Stingray?
And what about Jane (as in Rod,Freddy and Jane) from Rainbow?
I did once hear that she posed nude for a men's magazine...or perhaps I just imagined that.
:)

Squiddley
11th Jun 2001, 07:36
Joe 90 (a Stingray spinoff?)
Mr. Benn (the magic changing room in the Gents' outfitters!)
Blake's Seven (featuring ORAC the really hitech talking computer)
Paddington Bear

More "recently" 2 programmes on my list of potential future classics are Stoppit & Tidyup and Trapdoor anyone remember? They were tea-time 5 minute or so slots. Excellent stuff from the late 80s/early 90s.

Chinese Vic
11th Jun 2001, 15:36
TISWAS!
(well, mainly Sally James in those tight denim tops....)

CaptainCrunch
11th Jun 2001, 17:25
Anyone remember the Space Sentinels? Battle of the Planets - that was a goodie - v. groovy theme tune and a sarcastic computer.

Had a video of Blakes 7 recently and actually quite watchable. Georgeous blonde bit - possibly the gal from Dempsey and Makepeace? Gwynith?

Does anyone know the name of that genius kid with the freaky blonde curls who was always on Wogan in bow ties? Very prim and proper - apparently He is now a She. Mrs. Crunch is looking for the name to win a fiver. James something?

Crunchy.

Man-on-the-fence
11th Jun 2001, 18:04
Harries or Herries or something like that

Hagbard the Amateur
11th Jun 2001, 19:17
Some more come to mind;
The Tomorrow People, Chorlton and the Wheelies, - (Eighties link from that - Dangermouse)I never missed an episode of John Pertwee or Tom Baker as Dr Who either.

Am I a sad tosser or just getting old?

Eagle18th
11th Jun 2001, 22:09
Capt Crunch
Man on the fence is right - James Harries
(or is it now Jane)?
Dempsey and Makepeace blonde girl was Glynis Barber - she married the bloke who played Dempsey (was it Michael Brandon?)

Eagle18th a.k.a. Nigel Nolife

catswhisker
12th Jun 2001, 00:55
Muffin the Mule?

Isn't that illegal?

Whooaahh
12th Jun 2001, 14:18
3 pages of responses and not one mention of The Clangers ( the Soup Dragon ) or the Wombles.

Shameful!!

india_bravo
12th Jun 2001, 23:54
Grange Hill started in the seventies, it was great then and is still the best thing on kids TV today.

The Keg
13th Jun 2001, 08:29
Go the Wombles!

[This message has been edited by The Keg (edited 13 June 2001).]

Blacksheep
13th Jun 2001, 08:55
Muffin the Mule was legal back in the 1950s but when Andy Pandy was locked in the cupboard with Looby Loo one week, Lady Docker raised the matter at Prime Minister's Question Time in Parliament. That's almost as hilarious as Bill & Ben.

I think I'm as old as Tony Draper. (Indeed I remember a chap of that name who did a regular run between Waddington and Newcastle in his MGB roadster)

Watch with Mother; Bill & Ben; Andy Pandy; Rag, Tag & Bobtail; Muffin the Mule. Them were't days eh? before we sent the old Ecko in for rewiring so we could "get the commercial" as we put it.

The 70s were no comparison, I was always too stoned to watch T.V. in the 70s. Between Beer, Grass, Acid and Group Sex who had time for television? Apart from Trumpton and Magic Roundabout that is. Those guys were far out man!

Through difficulties to the cinema

Rusty Conway
15th Jun 2001, 04:40
Come on boys never mind the seventies lets face it as a kid if iy didnt have strings it was nowhere!

Lest us not forget such classics as Four Feather Falls, Thunderbirds, Supercar Captain Scarlet and that all time favourite (complete with the shadows on the cardboard scenery on blast off) Fireball XL5.

Gerry Anderson where are you now when a whole new generation of children who need to be taught gratuitous violence?

Up yours Pokemon gimme Destiny Angel and the girls every time!