PDA

View Full Version : Unfunny Sitcoms

swashplate
5th Jun 2001, 19:00
Was watching repeat of 1979 sitcom 'To the Manor born' last night.

One word: ballcocks!!

Unfunny, inane dialogue, laboured, outdated (even then!) class-based rubbish. http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/redface.gif

Odd thing is that Peter Bowles and Penny Keith were superb in other sitcoms!

BUT the surprising thing is, that I also did not laugh much at 'Harry Enfield' later on!! :rolleyes:

What do my fellow PPRuNe'rs think??

Or am I just getting old!! :) :)

[This message has been edited by swashplate (edited 05 June 2001).]

Tartan Gannet
5th Jun 2001, 19:22
Some humour is timeless, lots of Monty Python for example, some dies with its generation or the events which spawned it, eg ITMA, Im told it was hillarious during the war but it is painful to hear repeats of the old archives of this program. Others may be funny still but are banned for PC reasons, eg "Love thy Neighbour" and "Mind your Language". Humour, like beauty, is in the eyes of the beholder.

tony draper
5th Jun 2001, 20:20
I think Father Ted was one of the funniest comedies from the last decade or so,two of the best character's for years,
Someone should have told Ardal OHanlon to give this new series My Hero a miss, a right load of old bollox.
Hey! Mr S,Your talkin about the woman I love, I always fancied Penelope Keith, big sexy woman, not one of these skinny underfed horrors, all you young guys seem to lust after nowadays. :)

[This message has been edited by tony draper (edited 05 June 2001).]

Stiff Lil' Fingers
5th Jun 2001, 20:42
I have to agree that 'My Hero' and that dreadful Lee Evans sitcom series are utter pants...though I confess that I haven't actually watched them for more than the nanosecond it took to switch channels but sometimes 'one just knows when one's instincts are right' to borrow a line from Audrey Forbes-Hamilton.

Which brings me Swash to your comments re 'to the manor born'. I remember watching this as a kid on Sunday evenings. Agreed it must be very dated now (Peter B's kipper ties and flares) but Penelope Keith always makes me laugh. Ok, not as funny as The Good Life (and obviously does not include the delights of Felicity Kendall) but still better than half the tosh you get on the box at the mo.

Harry Enfield - amazing that for someone responsible for getting so many catchphrases into popular parlance i.e. 'Hello matey peeps' (Stavros), 'Poptastic, mate' & 'Charidy mate' (Smashy & Nicey), 'Loadsamoney' (ditto) 'I am 'avin a faaaag' (The Slobs) his show is now about as funny as a Gary Wilmott/Les Dennis double-act.

That said, 'Kevin and Perry go large' made me laugh...but I did watch it on a skiing holiday after perhaps one too many beers.

Cheers
Stiff

[This message has been edited by Stiff Lil' Fingers (edited 05 June 2001).]

Hersham Boy
5th Jun 2001, 22:00
Eastenders.

Worst comedy I've ever seen. Mind you, that bloke from Spandau Ballet being in it makes me laugh ;)

Hersh

------------------
I'm in the hi-fidelity first class traveling set and I think I need a Lear jet

Norfolk and airspeed
5th Jun 2001, 22:48
Two words.
Flowery Twats
oops, sorry, I mean
Fawlty Towers

Classic stuff!

tony draper
5th Jun 2001, 23:16
Humor seems to have a pretty short half life, I watched some reruns of early Monty Python,I didn't find them funny now, just silly, even the classic Parrot sketch seems just daft rather than witty.
I remember seeing real old stuff like Arthur Askey and wondering what the hell are they laughing at, yet I find the fast show take off of the war time comedian very funny.
Some stuff I think people will still be laughing at a hundred years from now ,Laurel and Hardy, the Monty Python movies, ect, yet as kids none of us thought much of Charlie Chaplin, and I remember we used to boo if the cartoon on the matinee was Mickey Mouse, and not mighty mouse, yet they tell us how beloved a character Mickey mouse was, wasn't when I was a sprog and as I said nor was Charlie Chaplin.

Loki
5th Jun 2001, 23:26
Dinner Ladies......ghastly

JPJ
5th Jun 2001, 23:27
I have to stride to the defence of my old University pal Peter Spence, who wrote TTMB.

The series was hugely successful, and reflected the spirit of the times. It has been repeated umpteen times, worldwide, and there are numerous websites for devotees.

1970s comedy, such as TTMB, The Good Life, and the rest, offered nothing more than good jokes and happy endings. It looks impossibly dated now, but just watch the audience figures for these programmes, as well as Dad's Army and the rest.

Tha manor featured in the show is Cricket St Thomas, and I was a guest when Peter Spence married the daughter of the house.

Peter now does corporate videos, and he is still very funny.

18Wheeler
6th Jun 2001, 01:45
Bleedin' 'Eck!!!!
Bloody Anthony Draper is here!!
Look out guys, strange times is coming ...

Gidday Tony, 'tis the big 747 driver from Aus 'ere. ;)

Send Clowns
6th Jun 2001, 02:06
Loki

Dinner Ladies was great! Short run, and wasn't going to go any further, but wonderful, gentle humour while it lasted.

------------------
'Me here at last on the ground, you in mid air'

tony draper
6th Jun 2001, 02:25
Heh heh, good evening Mr B,Havent been subject to a decent insult since Edwin Rommel left the other place, someone told me this is the best place to come to have abuse hurled at you.

ps, I'd better not post any sea stories here, I detect Grey Funnel line personnel . ;)

[This message has been edited by tony draper (edited 05 June 2001).]

OLD_EGG_BOUND
6th Jun 2001, 03:23
George And Mildred
Terry And June
Utterly banal bollocks
5hyte 5hyte 5hyte. Complete ****ing humourless **** .

tony draper
6th Jun 2001, 04:26
I remember when Last of the summer Wine started,it was a nice gentle comedy, now it has to be the most tired thing out there.
I think the same thing happened with Mash, it just got tired.
Incidently I always seem to miss stuff the first time round, at the moment I am watching The Larry Saunders Show, bloody brilliant, some of the best comedy comes out of the states, Taxi,Cheer's, Frazier

Big Red ' L '
6th Jun 2001, 04:40
Got to agree with you Tony d, The Larry Sanders Show is just Brilliant. Can watch it over and over again....(not beacause of Darleen's fantastic boobs either... :) )

------------------
Its not the fall that kills you...Its the sudden stop.....

Eagle18th
6th Jun 2001, 06:27
I'll probably get a lot of stick for this as it's a popular and multi-award winning show but however hard we try, neither Mrs Eagle or I can see the joke in The Royle Family.
We've tried numerous times, thinking "Now come on, Eagles, we've got as good a sense of humour as anyone else - so many people laugh at it so let's give it another go."
But it's no use, despite the excellent cast it just does nothing for us.
http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/confused.gif

[This message has been edited by Eagle18th (edited 06 June 2001).]

Slasher
6th Jun 2001, 08:13
Hey Old Egg whats wrong with "George and Mildred" (apart from that little sh!t Tristram from next door)?

OLD_EGG_BOUND
6th Jun 2001, 08:17
It`s ****ing humourless wanky *****, that`s what`s shagging ****ing wrong with it.

utter ***** (http://www.pearsontv.com/pages/library/georgemild.htm)

[This message has been edited by OLD_EGG_BOUND (edited 06 June 2001).]

Slasher
6th Jun 2001, 09:41
Yeh ok Old Egg but I thought Mildreds t!ts were nice.

OLD_EGG_BOUND
6th Jun 2001, 09:43
Probably kept her knees warm.

Slasher
6th Jun 2001, 09:46
PS: And I thought Tristrams mum looked shaggable too!

OLD_EGG_BOUND
6th Jun 2001, 10:15
Shaggable is obviously the Vietnamese word for ugly horror show then is it?, I wouldn`t pleasure that even if it was free. If my memory serves me right I think she had a bit part in "The Beverly Hillbillies" @1962. Now Elly May Clampet (http://us.imdb.com/Name?Douglas,+Donna) is a different matter.

ScopeDope
6th Jun 2001, 10:57
Gotta agree about the Royale (or whatever) Family. Emperor's clothe's I thought. Watching a load of twats watching TV. Talk about hold a mirror up to contemporary life.

Pretentious, Moi?

tony draper
6th Jun 2001, 11:23
Is it just me, I used to fancy a lot of the women in sitcoms.,Mildred,June, in Terry and June, incidently the direst comedy ever,Basils wife, who's name escapes me for the moment, from Faulty Towers,
I also think the sexiest woman on tv at the moment is Kate Segal,Married With Children another dire comedy, but Draper watches it for Kate.
This lust for the older women prevents me being catagorised as a dirty old man. :)

[This message has been edited by tony draper (edited 06 June 2001).]

Far canal
6th Jun 2001, 12:24
Cybil was Basil's wife's name. Although the younger lass, Polly, was his wife for real.

What about Dave Allen - priceless stuff I can watch him forever still as funny as the first day he did the sketches.

Another good one is Jasper Carrot but I suppose these are not really sitcoms.

Tartan Gannet
6th Jun 2001, 14:27
I agree with Eagle about the Royale Family. I found it tedious and annoying. Not as bad as "Bread" which I detested! It was more pants than the Lingerie Warehouse of Marks and Spencer.

Im afraid most sitcoms do tend to be tedious and lose any humour they had after the first series as the scriptwriters struggle to find new ideas. The single series short run ones are usually the best, just look at Faulty Towers.

My favourite sitcom was however "One Foot in the Grave" although the last episode where Victor is killed in an RTA by a hit and run driver had a bit too much of the Jeffrey Archer in the plot.

[This message has been edited by Tartan Gannet (edited 06 June 2001).]

tony draper
6th Jun 2001, 14:33
Father Ted
Frazier
Larry Saunders
League of Gentlemen
Blast from the past
The Likley Lads.
The Liver Birds--not for the comedy, for the legs.

Stiff Lil' Fingers
6th Jun 2001, 14:55
Eagle 18th, ScopeDope and TG....I too first avoided the Royle Family as from the trailers it seemed so unbelievably crass and I didn't see any of the first series.

However, I did start watching from the second series. It made me laugh, not really at the crudity but strangely enough at the subtleties employed. The writing is excellent (despite the fact that Coroline Aherne seems to have had a few personal issues to deal with of late).

The humour actually comes from the fact that their lives are so unbelievably mundane with low expectations, with the simplest of gestures/pleasures taking on extra-special significance - a pint in the Feathers, a Club biscuit etc. They are a study of people who have lost the ability to think for themselves, devoid of altruism; there lives being almost solely directed by media/fashion and what they see on the TV and read in The Sun etc. Yet despite this, they display the classic working class conflict of righteousness coupled with lack of confidence in their abilities and mean spiritedness / spitefulness of others' success that they wish they could emulate. Remind you of the UK tabloid mentality? Social satire it is.

I think the biggest joke of all is as you laugh at how demeaning and crass their lives are - look about yourself - there you sit in your armchair/sofa with you partner/friends, feet up, remote control nestled by your side, sipping on a tea/beer, maybe smoking a fag or chewing on a biscuit, slagging off telly programmes.

You realise that there is abit of The Royle Family in all of us, however much we dislike the fact and in there lies the joke!

Cheers
Stiff.

[This message has been edited by Stiff Lil' Fingers (edited 06 June 2001).]

gul dukat
6th Jun 2001, 16:38
well put stiff!!! as for utter drivel anything with that vertically challenged jock bloke .....Corbett in it !! absolute garbage !!!

bluemoon
6th Jun 2001, 19:01
fawlty towers and black adder

Send Clowns
6th Jun 2001, 23:02
I suspect that those who don't appreciate the Royle Family don't know anyone who is like them, either completely or just heading that way, with lives centred on the mass media and a ham sandwich (white sliced bread) with a cup of tea.

------------------
'Me here at last on the ground, you in mid air'

Dark Skies
7th Jun 2001, 00:07
I don't see 'Men Behaving Badly' in the list???
Surely some of you must have watched it, I thought it was part of the ATPL syllabus!

------------------
Remember' Freight is the Hunter'

OneWorld22
7th Jun 2001, 01:56
I think Blackadder would be my favourite, especially the fourth series that took place in the first world war. I never heard of a better description of the madness of that war as that which came from Captain Blackadder in the last episode just before the big push...

"In four years we've moved about as much as an asthmatic Ant with heavy shopping!!"

Hilarious stuff and streets ahead of bloody Mister bean.
But I think I hate Little and large the most..Or Timmy Mallet

Dad's Army was sheer class, The Royle Family are priceless and Are You Being Served had it's moments.
What do people think of Keeping up Appearences or One Foot In The Grave?
Also do you remember Game On a few years ago, very funny.

But my three all time favourites would be,

Blackadder (series 2/3/4)
Fawlty Towers
Only Fools And Horses

The BBC at it's best!