PDA

View Full Version : Best way to obtain body weight

mazzy1026
3rd Feb 2004, 20:26
I am getting frustrated at the fact that I can stand on 4 different weighing scales and get different answers each time - some with a difference of greater than 1 stone.

Whats the best way to obtain an accurate body weight ? I dont trust the electronic ones as I often find that standing on them say 3 or 4 times within the space of a minute can give me really bad varying results.

Ive tried the electronic 20p ones you see in shops and they too give me different (often much much higher) readings to what I am usually.

Anybody any ideas?

Cheers :ok:

redsnail
3rd Feb 2004, 21:08
Find one of those scales with the slidey weights on it. Make sure the scales are balanced. Hop on and adjust the slidey weights untill the pointer is hovering in the middle. Ta da. That's your weight. Don't use scales on carpets or soft floors.

gingernut
4th Feb 2004, 17:01
Mazzy, are you a commercial pilot ?

Can I suggest you remove your wallet from your pocket before stepping on the scales ?

Bumz_Rush
4th Feb 2004, 17:14
heading tells it all......

twistedenginestarter
4th Feb 2004, 18:22
When I was young I worked in a factory despatch bay and measured my weight throughout the day. It went up and down by about 2kg. Of all the cheap and expensive weighing machines I come across nowadays I don't see a difference greater than that so I suggest time of day is more a cause of variation than what you stand on.

mazzy1026
4th Feb 2004, 19:03
Are you a commercial pilot?

I wish !

Not yet but I agree with you on the wallet bit - that would be the first thing to remove as I would probably be classified as obese :p

gingernut
4th Feb 2004, 22:05
In all seriousness, is there a reason you are worried? If you are trying to gain/lose weight, then the absolute reading itself is less important than the trajectory.

Stick to the same scales to measure effect of your dietary regime.

slim_slag
5th Feb 2004, 03:23
There must be some clever way to accurately measure your weight using four scales which read differently. Put two scales on the ground, put a foot on each at the same time, wait until stable, and note readings. Repeat with all possible combinations of four scales and get somebody who is interested in pointless academic exercises to work it out :)