PDA

View Full Version : Merc Chopper pilot

skyvan
3rd Feb 2004, 19:25
SAFM news are reporting the detention of a South African chopper pilot, believed to have flown as a mercenary in the Ivory Coast, for the government. He was apparently arrested in Somerset West. Described as a 43year old white male South African.

That would make him Class of '79, or there abouts.

B Sousa
3rd Feb 2004, 20:20
If he drinks Tassies we may know who the culprit is...........

Deanw
3rd Feb 2004, 21:09
Gunns, please tell me you're still a purveyor of fine phone in SL :}

REAL ORCA
4th Feb 2004, 01:14
Gunzzz, where are you???????????:confused:

skyvan
4th Feb 2004, 03:50
From the Cape Argus today:

Ace SA pilot held in Scorpions sting

February 03 2004 at 03:54PM

By John Yeld and Theresa Smith

An ace military helicopter pilot was arrested in an early morning raid by the Scorpions on Tuesday for alleged mercenary activities in African trouble spots.

The unit swooped on his home in Malgas on the Breede River.

The man, in his late 40s, is alleged to have flown as a mercenary pilot in Ivory Coast, among other conflict areas on the continent.

'Well, I’m a bit astounded, I must say. This is a bit intimidating'
He is charged with contravening the Foreign Military Assistance Act, designed to prevent South Africans – and particularly highly trained former South African Defence Force soldiers and pilots – from being recruited as mercenaries.

The man, a former South African Air Force officer, has a reputation as a brilliant helicopter pilot who would never let down fellow soldiers, even in the most dangerous situations.

"If he puts you down in one place, he will pick you up from there again, no matter what," a source said.

The Scorpions launched an intense investigation after the arrest and subsequent conviction last year of French national François Rouget for recruiting South Africans to fight as foreign mercenaries.

He was the first person to be arrested and charged under the act.

'Many more will follow'
There has been deep concern among diplomats and politicians at the continuing presence of white South African mercenaries in conflict areas in Africa. Their role in destabilising African governments is seen as a threat to President Thabo Mbeki’s Nepad initiative.

A four-car convoy of Scorpion investigators drove into the tiny riverside village of Malgas, about 40km from Swellendam, shortly before 8am. They went straight to the man’s house – a smart double-storey constructed of river stones and facebrick.

When the Scorpions explained their presence, he remarked: 'Well, I’m a bit astounded, I must say. This is a bit intimidating."

The Scorpions searched the house for more than an hour.

They took the man to Caledon police station. He is due in the Swellendam magistrate's court on Wednesday.

The Scorpions were also about to search a house in the Strand which is apparently sometimes used by the former air force man.

Senior Scorpions advocate Anton Ackerman, SC, will handle the prosecution.

Scorpions spokesperson Sipho Ngwema said the government was concerned about the stability of the country "and of the continent as a whole".

"This is the second arrest under this act and many more will follow."

This article was originally published on page 1 of The Cape Argus on February 03, 2004

clipboard
4th Feb 2004, 14:24
I really don't know of what concern it is to the Government or the Scorpions what a former SAAF pilot does, or where he works. He trained as a pilot, served his country, (damn well) did his time and moved on. If he works in Africa or anywhere else in the world for that matter, what the:mad: has it got to do with them.

Is this a sneaky way of the ANC Government to get back at these guys for :mad: them up six love in the good old days??? I would'nt be surprised. My opinion is that it sucks:yuk: :}

The SA Government talks about a democracy??? Is it democratic to go and arrest a guy who is earning a honest living somewhere outside of his Country of birth? Is it democratic to reduce the man to a pauper by taking all his hard earned, life long possessions and forfitting it to the state? :mad: ing Commies!!!

Deanw
4th Feb 2004, 14:59
Apparently the pilot is (edited ), who was awarded the Honoris Crux for bravery during the Bush war.

It is not permissable to use a real name unless this is already in the public domain. Until that is established it is removed from here.

The name was published by the press. In my haste I did not credit the source.

Douglas Racer
4th Feb 2004, 15:01
Democracy, Shamocracy, Hypocracy

Hey Gunns, vasbyt!! Non Barstardo Carbo Rundum (Don't let the *******wear you down).

You see, its like this: there's this thing called election campaigning, and if they can take a Mazungu down, they'll seem like saviours to their supporters. Stuff the fact that your work was in support of the UN!! Maybe they should've checked with Washington before "arresting" you??

If you need top cover, 1/80 is behind you all the way!! Banzai, Boknaai!!:*

the wizard of auz
4th Feb 2004, 15:08
Sh1t, its not Gunnsssssssss is it?.

currawong
4th Feb 2004, 18:12
Good luck.

Hope the campfire will help where possible.

Called "illegal combatants" over here. Law only enforced when politically expedient....

Much like SA, by the look of it.:yuk: :yuk: :yuk:

Warlock2000
4th Feb 2004, 20:55
What a crock of sh!t.
:yuk:

skyvan
5th Feb 2004, 01:42
Alleged soldier of fortune appears in court

February 04 2004 at 05:54PM

A former South African Air Force helicopter pilot appeared in the Swellendam magistrate's court on Wednesday in connection with an alleged contravention of anti-mercenary legislation.

Carl Alberts, 49, was arrested at Malgas near this southern Cape Town on Tuesday morning, Scorpions spokesperson Sipho Ngwema said.

He said Alberts faced charges under the Foreign Military Assistance Act related to his alleged activities in the strife-torn Ivory Coast in 2002 and 2003.

Alberts was released on R5 000 bail and is to appear again on February 13. - Sapa

On a personal note, he did as his country needed, when it needed. It is time for the government to butt out of the personal lives of its citizens.

There seems to be a great push on to damage our own citizens, yet, if I am a foreign national with a permanent residence permit, I could commit genocide every Tuesday and Thursday (leaving Wednesday for golf) I would be quite OK. Oh, the injustice of it.

TIA.

contraxdog
5th Feb 2004, 03:09
Professional jealousy perhaps?

What happened to " the right to earn a living" guaranteed under the constitution. Or is it " You have the right to, if we say you do!"?
I wonder if it had been the same if "Imkontu- freedom fighters"were earning a living like that? Well who the **** would want them on their side?

Vasbyt Boet
Aluta continua victoria serta!

Douglas Racer
5th Feb 2004, 14:16
While I am extremely relieved that it is not Gunss (as I incorrectly reported) that was arrested, I am equally dismayed that this has happened to Carl.

If spy vs spy (aka The Scorpions) carry on in this fashion then maybe we will see the fruits of their endeavors in the form of the birth of a neo opposition movement (which could easily have happened in '94, but by the grace of God, didn't).

And what about the Truth and Retribution Commission? I thought this crap was all wrapped up, and we were supposed to get on with our "new Rainbow type lives?"

Carl, if you read this, know that there are a lot of us out here that are thinking about you, we'll be watching with great interest to see what our New "democracy" delivers in this case.

Thabo's boys bitch and moan about the odd mercenary, but they are still selling weapons to every T, D and H in Africa!!!! Is that how you "stabilize" a continent, Mr. President. Bull****!!

:yuk:

Kontractor
5th Feb 2004, 18:07
When we have a country/government which supports and admires two of the worlds worst remaning dictators then this sort of thing should not surprise us.Unfortunately there are going to be more arrests,good luck to those who are involved.
A quote I found in a book written by Duncan Falconer on the SBS says it all.

God and the soldier all men adore
in time of trouble and no more
for when war is over and all things righted
God is neglected and the old soldiers slighted

I suppose it is only a matter of time before they come after those of us who make a living flying for NGO's in various war zones.

Sir Cumference
5th Feb 2004, 22:31
I will give my full support to Carl and anyone else the Scorpions decide to chase in instances such as these. What astounds me is that he was working for the government! Now we all know of the standard of some of the pilots in the 'other' parts of Africa, so to get someone in with the kind of skills CA has, to support the goverment of the day, is understandable.

Comments elsewhere on this thread are absolutely correct, the SA government is thrilled about the success of Armscor in the sale of arms to fellow Africans, yet they are obviously upset at other assistance that they obviously do not make a fast buck out of.

:mad: Stinks!

REAL ORCA
6th Feb 2004, 01:55
Please be careful not to mention any names for obvious reasons!!!

Danger Boy
13th Feb 2004, 18:51
Just Heard on one of the local news stations that Carl had his dayin court this morning!

Fined R 20 000, and a slap on the wrist according to the newsies ? Anyone have anymore "Gaffe" ?

Sounds like a good outcome for Carl, after all the Hoo Ha.:ok:

bluesafrica
13th Feb 2004, 19:36
Well, it's not a good outcome if you get fined when working for a legal government!
Should we all start to add for our contracts a "fine money" and possible court expenses!
I have never thought that ones own goverment make you a criminal if you work outside of your own country for a legal government.
Not good at all.
Blues

Danger Boy
13th Feb 2004, 19:52
Obviously the principle of it all stinks !

Just relieved for Carl's sake, that "their" intentions did not serve up worse consequences.:yuk:

skyvan
13th Feb 2004, 22:32
Mercenary activities land pilot in the dock

February 13 2004 at 03:54PM

A decorated former South African Air Force helicopter pilot on Wednesday pleaded guilty to participating in mercenary activities in Ivory Coast.

Appearing in the Swellendam magistrate's court, 49-year-old Carl Alberts was sentenced to two years in jail, or a R20&nbsol000 fine, Scorpions spokesperson Makhosini Nkosi said.

Half of the sentence was suspended, and Alberts was released after paying R10 000. He also paid R20 000 to the Assets Forfeiture Unit.

Nkosi said the plea and fine were in terms of a plea bargain agreed by Alberts and Scorpions prosecutors.

Alberts was arrested at Malgas on February 4 and faced charges under the Regulation of Foreign Military Assistance Act related to his activities in the strife-torn Ivory Coast in 2002 and 2003.

Alberts won the Honoris Crux, South Africa's highest military decoration, for his role as a helicopter pilot in combat against Swapo guerrillas in Angola in 1984. - Sapa

Lifted from the IOL website.

Gainesy
14th Feb 2004, 00:41
So what would the SA government do about the SA people currently serving in the RAF and Brit Army?

Or the Foreign Legion?

And who or what are the Skorpions please?

I think this case sucks BTW/:mad:

Captain Pheremone
14th Feb 2004, 12:34
Its actually sad how many controls on our lifestyle imposed by the government are accepted by us with no recourse whatsoever.Don't dive there, don't smoke here, don't do anything, no guns and now don't fly there as well.

How many pilots fixed wing and chopper have flown in a country in conflict and just "quickly" flown an oficial or a "troop" around. Are they all now to be fined and prosecuted as well. Absolute "b__ll sh_t".

As they say Carl was working for a legitimate government and we do not even know exactly what he was doing. The Scorpions by the way are otherwise known as The Department of Special Operations and concentrate on cases against the governent in cases such as fraud, spying and in this case contravention of an act. They have the reputation of being quite ruthless and generally a charge laid is accompanied by a total asset forfeiture until proven (at your expense) that the goods were obtained legally.

Basically (my view point) is that since the 1994 elections plenty of countries that used to be "friendlies" were now on the wrong side of the fence and vice versa, and in this way the SA Gov does not want anyone working for who they may consider to be undesirable. They want to make the choice, not you. Secondly in all their new found rainbow mentality they do not want their name to muddied or associated with mercs who actually manage to get the job done better than they could.

Ranting and raving.....I am. Sorry. Let the pilots get on with the flying and hopefully make a few bucks and let the gov put more effort into everyday crime control. Up the cops salary and give the guilty less rights. Phew.

bluesafrica
14th Feb 2004, 19:23
I would accept the limitations about travels when in active duty. But once your deal serving your own country is over and done I can't see why any government on this planet like to limit citizens choice in the job market. It's hard enough to make living as pilot without such limitations. Or is the government ready to compensate your unemployment due their restrictions?
Blues

Gainesy
15th Feb 2004, 20:59
Capt P.,
Thanks for the explanation on the Scorpions.

clipboard
16th Feb 2004, 17:08
:mad: Its election time, and the Gov obviously wants to prove to the majority of its voters, who by the way, suffered under the hands of the "white oppressors", and for those of you who don't know, every "white skin" in this country is a "white oppressor".:yuk: :} :mad: No wonder the educated whites are leaving this country in droves.

Has Mbeki ever considered acting against his own who committed gross human rights violations during the "struggle", or is it OK because they had to murder innocent people (especially white ones) because it was a struggle????

Is this part of the Revenge strategy against whites who are/were citizens of this country when it was ruled by the former regime?

It :mad: stinks! No wonder the membership of the "Boeremag" grows daily. Be very careful of revenge Thabo!!!:}

Rather concentrate on the AIDS problem in this country and leave those who contributed meaningfully to this country at some stage of their lives alone!!!