PDA

View Full Version : FAA Commercial Checkride Audio CDs

WhiskeyNovember
3rd Feb 2004, 10:59
Does anyone produce audio cds that discuss/teach material covered in the FAA Commercial oral exam and checkride? I know there are cd-roms for studying for the knowledge test, but I'd love to find something to play while driving in the car or working out.

-WN

englishal
3rd Feb 2004, 15:46
Its a bit subjective though as its up to the examiner. For mine he grilled me on:

Aircraft systems:-
Everything about the aircraft pretty much, landing gear (how it works, where are the hydraulic reservoirs located, speeds of operation and why etc), engines (how they work, power, oil, what the oil does (sounds silly, but there are four main things) etc, Props (how they work, feathering etc), emergency procedures (such as gear extension), fire in flight, Multi engine procedures, critical engine, etc etc....

Know the POH back to front and this section should be ok.

Regs:-
All about the FARs, limitations and privileges of a commercial pilot, and general questions on the regsulations and rules.

Know the FAR/AIM for this part.

Charts:-
He basically sat down with a chart in front of us and kept pointing at different parts and asked questions about it. What does this mean, what does that mean, Airspace, VFR minima in all airspace, MOAs, restircted areas, warning areas, alert areas, etc....

Know you charts for this part.

IFR:-
He'll ask about IFR procedures. I got away with out this as I was IR'd on a multi at private level so there was no requirement to test me on IFR procedures. Know you IFR charts, approach plates, procedures etc....

I've probably forgotten loads, the oral took about 1½ hrs and was pretty tough, people do fail on the oral alone.

There is a really good book called the Commercial Pilot oral test prep or something, which has got tons of typical questions in. You own examiner may have particular quirks and things he always asks, so check with someone around there...

Cheers
EA