PDA

View Full Version : Flight training in SA / Aptrac

Mawi
3rd Feb 2004, 00:53
Hey Guys!

Does anyone have experiences with flight schools in South Africa?
Especially with Aptrac? (www.aptrac.com)
Is this a serious offer? The concept looks not that bad and the prices are very fair.
Thanks for reports!

Kind regards

Mawi

sturg3
3rd Feb 2004, 06:55
Mate, do yourself a favour and check out Algoa Flying club.
They are also in Port Elizabeth and offer great rates as they are a club and not a fat cat profit org. while keeping a high international level of standards
I had the great pleasure of doing my PPL there in April 2003, I am now flying in the UK from Oxford Kidlington Airport with a good standing and experience.
I recently hooked up with a guy to do a few hours who done his PPL at Aptrak also in April 2003, he mentioned that he regreted not going to algoa Flying Club.

taluft
13th Feb 2004, 08:37
Mawi,
APTRAC seems really good, but you should add on an additional R30,000 to the entire cost as the R200,401 they quote you represents bare minimum hours. R230,401 still beats 43 Air School's price of R271,000. I don't have any experience with APTRAC but I have been looking around at prices/accoms/aircraft/location. Aptrac seems to get good grades on all those criteria.

Sturg3, what did your friend especially like about Algoa and not like about Aptrac...aside from the costs?

Thank you,
Taluft

sturg3
15th Feb 2004, 03:48
OK, apart from the cost etc, Algoa FC is a club, not a military style cadet acadamey. The instructors there will stay with you 24/7 if needs be. Tracy and Guy are one in a million instructors, they dont get paid for this stuff, they live for flying. You just cant pay for dedication like that.

Clint

taluft
16th Feb 2004, 22:53
Thanks for the info, Clint.
My search continues for the right school.
Cheers,
Taluft

Irishwingz
17th Feb 2004, 09:55
Sturg3 is on the money re Algoa....fantastic place.

I've commented extensively on Algoa so do a search on my posts on this forum or else PM me.

Irishwingz
:}

Chase
17th Jan 2005, 09:37
hey oaks

aptrac is a brilliant flying school. i did my entire PPL and night rating there and i am currently busy with my CPL.

dont under estimate them.

406pilot
17th Jan 2005, 12:44
hi guys/gals

i was doind a sim session with one instructor at saa when he mentioned he operated his own flying school in p.e...now b4 i only knew of 2 flying school/clubs in p.e which are progress and algoa but after seeing this post and checkin out the website i now wonder if the school really belongs to the guy who did our sim check..
if it does im sure the training is value for money,i trully believe training in rsa is second to none in the world.

myself i trained at progress a few years ago,i still think that was the best training i got but that was a long time ago and personnally i cannot judge a flight school by lookin at the website,so my suggestion ould be to go down there and check them out urself.
visited algoa once nice place too and if glynis is still there double the fun..

keep it up there fellows,

no more 406pilot

Solid Rust Twotter
17th Jan 2005, 13:46
Taluft, check your PMs...

skyvan
17th Jan 2005, 16:55
Hi 406pilot, just a brief note to confirm that your instructor does indeed operate Aptrac.

Mawi, knowing the way he operates, the training will be very good, well controlled and directed at the ulimate goal, whether it be a PPL, or towards the ultimate aim of Airline Pilot.

I have had no hesitation in recommending his school to my friends, and they all came back singing his praises.

Of course, your milage may vary. Keep looking at all the schools, keep asking questions, and maybe even phone a few of the schools.

Good luck.

crazy medic
18th Jan 2005, 15:53
Hey 406

yep Glynis and the cat are still there, hell part of the furniture!!!

LOL cheers

AFC rules man but for advanced training Twin / IF then Sheltam

TooBadSoSad
24th Jan 2005, 11:48
The owner of APTRAC started out as an instructor at AFC and is currently a training captain at SAA on the B732. The proof is in the pudding......four of his instructors have just been hired by contracts companies, literally in the last few weeks......so if you want an aviation career, get trained by APTRAC, get your instructors there, build up some quality time and the jobs will find you.

Solid Rust Twotter
24th Jan 2005, 11:51
Can't say much for their studes' airmanship, though....

406pilot
24th Jan 2005, 17:17
awesome guys,

3 cheers for mr.patterson,,hip hip......

hip hip..................
hip hip.................

no more 406pilot

Chase
27th Jan 2005, 10:29
thats an affirm guys,

aptrac's owner is a captain for SAA on the 737 200 Boeing and is currently busy with his conversion onto the A319. he was a 747 co-pilot for quite some years and decided to move onto being a captain of his own aircraft.

like you said the proof is in the pudding, his wealth of experience in the flying industry makes a great flying school.

aptrac came from nothing and 5 years down the line they so busy it's unbelievable. thats saying alot for a school that has only been around for 5 years, it's giving every other flying a hell of a run for there money.

and think about it all the connections you make in the South African Airways because knows all of them.
it's not what you know it's who you know and aptrac knows them all.