PDA

View Full Version : Hours you need to start CPL training??

career girl
2nd Feb 2004, 22:17
I've been told two different things and I was wondering if you guys could help clear it up.

Before you start your JAA CPL training you have to have how many hours?

I've been told

a) 150 TT and thats it
b) 150 TT but 100 of that has to be as PIC

Which is correct?

Also I hear you have to have done 300nm Cross country?

Do you know where I can get all this info and info on issuing of licences? I've tried the JAA website but no luck.

Thanx guys

I apologise If there is already a thred with all these questions answered, but when I do a search It doesnt work.

peb
2nd Feb 2004, 22:36
What are you talking about modular or integrated course?
You have differents requirementes. You can look the JAR-FCL. you can down load it at http://www.jaa.nl/section1/jarsec1.html.

Any way modular 150 hours, 50 PIC.......

FlyingForFun
2nd Feb 2004, 22:38
Career girl,

You need 150TT before starting the CPL.

After completing the CPL, and before applying for the license, you must have 200TT, including 100P1. It makes sense (although it's not necessary) to have 100P1 before starting the course.

All the information is in LASORS (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/LASORS.PDF) - everything to do with the CPL is in section D, and the specific information you were looking for is on page 145/146. I am surprised you couldn't find it on the JAR website, though, because it should be there too. (I'll look for it, and post a link if I can find it!)

FFF
-------------

[Edit - Peb got in before me, and correctly pointed out that there is a difference between modular and integrated. The answer I've given is for modular. But Peb - where did you get the 50 hours P1 before starting the course from? I can't find that one anywhere.]

[Edit - The requirements are listed in JAR-FCL 1 (http://www.jaa.nl/section1/jars/451854.pdf), section 1D. The course pre-entry requirements are on page 1-D-9 (page 63 of the Acrobat document), and the requirements for license application are on page 1-D-1 (page 55)]

Megaton
2nd Feb 2004, 22:42
Section D of Lasors gives you than answers:

LASORS (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/LASORS.PDF)

But, in a nutshell:

The holder of a PPL(A) issued in accordance with ICAO Annex 1, with at least 150 hours flight time as a pilot, may commence an approved JAR CPL(A)

But for issue of the licence:

An applicant for a JAR-FCL CPL(A) must have completed a minimum of 200 hours of flight time. This must include 100 hours as Pilot-in-Command, 20 hours of cross-country flight time as Pilot-in-Command, including a cross-country flight totalling at least 540 km (300 nm) in the course of which full-stop landings at two aerodromes different from the aerodromes of departure shall be made.

It's all in there but hard work finding sometimes; good luck.

LFS
3rd Feb 2004, 20:02
You should also note that if you intentd to do a CPL M/E course you will need 70 hours P1 to start the course

Linda Mollison
3rd Feb 2004, 22:43
LFS

Don't think that is true.

LASORS, Section F, page 13

An applicant for a single pilot MEP (Land) aeroplane rating must produce evidence of having completed a minimum of 70 hours as pilot in command of aeroplanes.

Therefore you do not need the 70 hrs P1 to start the M/E CPL course, just to get the MEP rating issued.

Linda

LFS
3rd Feb 2004, 23:23
However JAR-FCL 1.170:

1 An applicant for a skill test for the CPL(A) shall have satisfactorily completed all of required training, including instruction on the type/class of aeroplane to be used for the test. The applicant shall be be permitted to choose to take the test in a S/E aeroplane or, Subject to the experience requirement of 70 hours pilot in command of aeroplanes , on a multi-engine aeroplane.

Therefore 70hours PIC is required to take the test in a multi-engine aeroplane. So realistically you should (although not an absolute requirement) have the 70 hours PIC before starting the course as there is no solo on a CPL course and you cannot do the test until you have it.

pa28biggles
3rd Feb 2004, 23:44
So to summerise from the information in this thread (for the Modular Route);
You will need 150hrs TT before you take the skill test. The amount of PIC time does not really matter if taking the skill test on SE aircraft. It would obviously be advantageous to have lots of P1 time, but not a pre-requisite for the skill test. If you are doing the CPL/ME then you must have 70hrs PIC.
For the application of the CPL you need 200hrs TT, 100hrs of which must be PIC.