View Full Version : Dragon Selection

2nd Feb 2004, 22:01
It appears to me that there is a lot of info available everywhere with regards to the selection processes at the likes of Emirates, Cathaty, BA etc. But, for some reason, there is not a lot out there for prospective Dragon pilots.

I'm presently hoping to hear that I've made it through to the second selection at Dragon, and was also hoping that there are some Dragon folk out there that could shed some light on exactly what one could expect to come up against in that portion of the selection? I've read all the books (for the other airlines) had my share of interviews and know what it takes, but mwould just love to hear what exactly the Dragon slant is...?

Thanks in advance...:ok:

3rd Feb 2004, 15:02
I just heard that I've made it through to the next step which is the sim evaluation... PLEASE guys, HELP!

Any ideas?

Essential Buzz
4th Feb 2004, 11:33
Round 2 is a "technical interview" with two of the managers from the Flight Operations Department (along with the Manager of Crew Resources - again).

Anything can potentially be asked, but expect questions about aerodynamics, performance, your current type and perhaps meteorology - to name a few obvious areas. A look through some of the chapters of "Handling the Big Jets" would probably prove worthwhile.

Importantly, they are trying to assess whether they like you; ie that you fit in. In house, this is referred to as the "Sendai test" - can I sit next to this guy all the way to Sendai (Japan) and back? (The return flight is about 9 hours, but post-SARS it is no longer on the network.)

The simulator is fairly straight forward - takeoff, some turns, 2 eng ILS & overshoot, followed by 1 eng ILS and landing. It is all flown raw data - without FDs and autothrust. If you haven't flown Airbus before, investing a few $'s for an hours practice sometime beforehand, may be worth considering.

Good luck.

KingAir
5th Feb 2004, 22:21
What are the minimum requirements for Dragonair nowadays? Jet type rating required? Hong Kong residency? I have neither a jet type rating (I have a Turbo Prop TR) or hk residency but I'm very interested in joining.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

6th Feb 2004, 15:16
Would anybody have any specifics regarding the LGW selection and simulator assesment, which I presume is done on the B747 Classic at Gecat..? :confused:

dragon501
6th Feb 2004, 17:18
hello,

made a username esp for your question so better feel special!!

I have done both rounds and glad to say was succesfull. Been trying to get this job for a long time and think its the best!!

Second round is as said be4 a lot of 'Handling the big jets". So read it once, twice or three times!!

Questions on weather (basics), your own type, the odd 747/A320/330 question can be asked to see if you know more.. As always, if you don't know then say so!! Don't B*LL****.

Sim is a funny one, if the guys are of the 747 fleet its on that but if there Airbus.. you guessed it!! Good thing for them is that Gecat has both in store...

Sim profile is as described above.

Good luck.

6th Feb 2004, 20:57
Thanks a million for that! I do appreciate it! :ok:

Not quite sure by what you meant by "Sim profile is as described above"...?

Level Buster
10th Feb 2004, 17:40
I would appreciate any information on flying for Dragonair cargo out of MAN. I am interested in a job with them and would like to know a bit about rosters, time away and time off. Also would like to know about future prospects and time to command.

Thanks in advance.

11th Feb 2004, 22:07
I've just heard that the sim check will be done at GECAT on the B747. Is there anyone out there that's done one of these with Dragonair that could shed a little light...?

744_driver
12th Feb 2004, 03:17
Hello 126.9,

Any chance you could enlighten us what happened during your first interview?

BTW how long did you have to wait before KA called you up?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers ;)

12th Feb 2004, 14:55
The first interview was done in a hotel in Crawley by two people (HR and Flight Operations) and was a very laid back discussion. It went about all the basic stuff as well as an assesment of logbooks, background, experience, education etc. No tech stuff yet just a lot of personal questions and it lasted around 45 minutes.

I've waited around 2 years to get invited to a selection. I don't know why, but the application process seemed to take forever. :confused:

744_driver
13th Feb 2004, 20:32
Thanks 126.9 for the info.

Good luck for your 2nd interview.
Perhaps you could update us on that at a later stage? :O

Cheers

dragon501
24th Feb 2004, 18:27
It takes two weeks to get the results after the first one and between first and second is about 6 weeks.

25th Feb 2004, 21:36
That's how it was for me too...:D

Dan Winterland
27th Feb 2004, 04:19
126,9, check your PMs

dragon501
3rd Mar 2004, 20:47
Gone awfully quiet here suddenly!! Did you ger through 126.9??

6th Mar 2004, 23:40
Everything done. It all went wwell (I hope) and I'll know what the full story is within 2 weeks! :ok:

kinex
9th Mar 2004, 05:41
Hi All,
So what's the minimum requirement for D/E S/O? i've been told by the people in KA saying that i'm over qualified to join the cadetship, and she suggested me to go for S/O...i don't think i have enuf hrs for it...anyone here can give me some advice?
i only have about 250hrs total..................thanks guys

sony
9th Mar 2004, 07:49
Kinex, Please check your PM's.

9th Mar 2004, 19:52
Thanks for the messages everybody. As I've said; I'm waiting to hear back from Dragonair following (what I believe was a successful) part II of the selection process. We have all been told that it will take up to 2 weeks before we hear anything. :ok:

groundjob1
10th Mar 2004, 07:47
I've had my application in with Dragon Air for about 14mths now and have also updated my file twice since the initial application. I know my application is on file due to the reply e-mail from the updates. Does anyone know what the recruiting program is for this year or how long I can expect to wait?
Any info will help, many thanks

dragon501
11th Mar 2004, 15:30
As someone stated earlier on, you need to get a confirmation (i believe mine was posted) with a REFERENCE number saying you are on file. This is THE only way to know you are in the system and they are aware of you.

Good luck

12th Mar 2004, 18:44
I'm in! I passed the selection and I owe a bunch of you a HUGE THANKS ! I can't wait to get started because my life starts here! :ok:

skyrocket
12th Mar 2004, 20:00
Well done and Congratulations 126.9

Skyrocket,

dragon501
13th Mar 2004, 03:42
EXCELLENT 126.9!!! I think I know the feeling ;-)

Really well done and many many congrats!! I'll see ya on the line I guess!!!!

Dragon501

744_driver
17th Mar 2004, 05:48
:ok: CONGRATULATIONS, 126.9!

Spearing Britney
17th Mar 2004, 10:54
Any chance of a brief A-Z guide for those hoping to follow in your footsteps 126.9?

Congratulations!

Warbler
17th Mar 2004, 21:04
Hey guys,

I would like to know if Dragonair will look at someone with predominantly rotary wing time in their logbook. I have an Army Aviation background flying mainly twin engine troop lift helicopters. I am forking out for fixed wing time on the side to get in position to attempt to transition from military to airline. Once I finish my service I expect to have about 2100hrs TT, including 250hrs PIC fixed wing and 380hrs total fixed wing. The remainder is 800hr PIC rotary wing & rest co-pilot rotary.

Cheers!

dragon501
18th Mar 2004, 07:39
Dunno if they'll look at rotary but one thing is for sure and that's 4000TT minimum...

Gd luck

22nd Mar 2004, 11:41
I've just spent hours trying to find the official entry requirements online (they are there somewhere) but I can't. I have seen them and it is 4000 hours and a jet rating if I'm not mistaken. If I do come across it again, I'll be sure to post it here. Good Luck. :ok:

25th Mar 2004, 18:40
The interview process is pretty much as has been posted on this thread by others before me. I'm reluctant to post an authorative point of view here since I've only been through it once and also I'd hate to post something that could ruin things for me at KA. Feel free to PM me and all that I can really do, is to tell you how mine went.

Regards

:ok:

Ya Zi
27th Mar 2004, 21:16
Official entry requirements were on the company website in the careers section but were removed because of the huge amount of CVs on file. Requirements are 4000 hrs TT with 500 on Jets or 1000 on TPs, and an ATPL acceptable to the HK CAD for conversion. Type ratings on KA types not needed, but those who have them get priority.