PDA

View Full Version : Hour Building/Touring USA

karanou
2nd Feb 2004, 20:24
I am contemplating combining some hour building with a flying tour of USA. Can anyone give info as what is req/ good places to loan aircraft (single engine)/ reasonable amount of flying per day

In addition I would appreciate info regarding any websites/publications that may be of help.

Probably looking at hiring from Florida???

Regards
Karanou

mazzy1026
2nd Feb 2004, 20:53
There's a lot of info on here regarding various flying schools in USA.

Try searching for the following:

OFT - Orlando Flight Training: I considered going here - I wont leave you my opinion as these forums speak for themselves.

Naples Air Centre - some good info on this one.

I want to get my PPL in this country and then maybe go to USA for a couple of weeks to do some hour building. I would prefer to do hour building here because ATC, regulations and weather are entirely different in USA however, the cost is nearly (if not) double that in the USA.

I'm sure you'll find more than the above 2 mentioned.

Best of luck

Lee :)

FlyingForFun
2nd Feb 2004, 21:13
Mazzy,

The schools you mention are both JAR schools.

Obviously if you're looking to train for a JAR license or rating, going to a JAR school is important (despite what some non-JAR schools might try to tell you).

But if all you're looking to do is hour-build, there's no need to restrict yourself to a JAR school. There are, quite literally, hundreds of good schools around America which will rent you an aircraft - so there's no point narrowing yourself down to the very small number which are approved for JAR courses.

There's another thread on which this is discussed in more detail, and I think it's that same thread on which I've suggested going somewhere different, perhaps Canada or South Africa, for hour-building. I won't repeat the fors/againsts here, but this was discussed within the last few days, so it shouldn't take too much searching to find it.

FFF
-------------

[Edit, because I found the thread I was thinking of. I said it wouldn't take too long! It's here (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=117161)]

GuinnessQueen
2nd Feb 2004, 21:17
Apologies for hijacking the thread so early.....but it is a related question!

I have JAA and FAA PPL and I'm off to sunny Florida in May to do a bit of hourbuilding for the CPL. Can anyone recommend a decent travel insurance company that will cover me for flying (as most only include flying light a/c as a passenger). Only one I've found so far was Endsleigh, at £106 per person.

Any recommendations???

Cheers

GQ

FlyingForFun
2nd Feb 2004, 21:21
GQ,

I've used Traffords in the past. Can't remember the price, but I think it was similar to what you've been quoted by Endsleigh. I had no problems with them, was very satisfied with the service I got - but I never had to claim, so I can't comment on that side.

Do make sure you read the small print. For example, I found that Trafford's standard aviation policy won't cover you for aeros. You can include aeros in the policy for a small additional premium - but if you don't read the small-print, you may not realise until too late.

FFF
-------------

AndyDRHuddleston
3rd Feb 2004, 01:34
FlyingForFun,

What do you mean by "AEROS"??

FlyingForFun
3rd Feb 2004, 16:00
Aeros = aerobatics.

FFF
-------------

Sensible
3rd Feb 2004, 16:16
Just got my renewal in from Traffords, they want £119.85 and that's for a whole year multi trip. When I take somebody else flying abroad, they do a cheaper deal for a one off trip. The multi trip deal is best because it covers trips both for flying and normal holidays.

Traffords 08700 9000 331

karanou
3rd Feb 2004, 19:50
Any good websites??? Amount of flying daily???, wud appreciate an insight by someone who has done similar? how much of the country did you cover?? - what pitfalls should I watch out for?? - (thx for insurance info so far)????

thanks for replies sofar

regards
Karanou

ps guiness queen no probs with you hijackin my thread (be my guest lol) - pls dont hijack any plane im flying tho or we could fall out!!!

Sensible
4th Feb 2004, 00:27
karanou, you need to be a bit more specific, are you planning on doing any sort of training or pure hour building and where are you planning to go? How many hours do you plan on doing? Are you ready for mountains?

AndyDRHuddleston
4th Feb 2004, 00:39
.........Ready for Mountains???? Yikes, is there something I should know??

FlyingForFun
4th Feb 2004, 00:45
Ready for Mountains???? Yikes, is there something I should know??There's lots to know about mountain-flying, but nothing that deserves a "Yikes"!

Most important thing is the weather - know what the wind is going to do around the mountains, how to keep out of it, and how to leave yourself a way out in case it all starts to go pear-shaped. Also, a bit about high altitude flying. Nothing to cause any problems... but enough that a couple of hours with an instructor who's used to mountain-flying is recommended.

FFF
--------------

karanou
4th Feb 2004, 01:40
Just hour building, and hopefully being able to see as much of the USA as possible in a couple of weeks, takin my gal and daughter with me - ITS A FLYING HOLIDAY - AND YOU WILL ENJOY IT!!!!!

Feedback from anybody else who has done this sort of thing (or anyone who wants to chip their two pennorth in) would be very much appreciated

Apologies for being vague (I knew what I meant lol - at least I think so!!!)

Karanou
the caring family man:ok: