PDA

View Full Version : Air Desert Pacific

sharksucker
2nd Feb 2004, 20:05
Searching for a flightschool to do my FAA CPL ME/IR (just holding the Jar licence..) and found Air Desert Pacific: www.airdesertpacific.com
They have very low rates for the Seneca (125 to 129 USD wet per hour).
Anybody some experience with them?
I am looking to build about 30 hours multiengine and prepare for the practical exam.
Thank you for any comment!

onehunga
2nd Feb 2004, 22:07
Realise you wanted comments on ME but for what it is worth........I did 50 hours single engine hour building late (ish) last year so can't comment at all on the competency of the instructors (other than for a 1 hr checkout which was a non event). Mostly young guys all chasing the airline dream as is pretty typical of the US flight schools. Seemed a nice bunch of people although I wasn't really around that much as I was just "picking up or dropping off". No problems with aircraft availability or reliability at all, in fact I had my pick of the fleet. Student numbers were down considerably I was told and that was pretty evident. All being put down to 9/11. You should have fun.

If you haven't done already have a search in private flying for tips on places to go/things to see on the west coast. Also loads of advice on high density altitude flying and dealing with the marine layer (smog) which might put you ahead of the game if you decide to head out there.

Sensible
3rd Feb 2004, 01:35
ADP are a really nice buch of people, very organised and friendly. They even pick you up and drop you off at LAX and either you can get picked up and dropped off at your hotel by the hotel minibus or the ADP bus will pick you up and drop you at their own accoms. If you don't go there expecting new airplanes then you will enjoy it. If you judge an airplane on how it looks then you may be disappointed. LA is a really good place to build your skills, especially RT.

spacecadet
3rd Feb 2004, 02:08
I think it's a decent enough place. I have been to them a few times before hour building & I also completed my FAA SE CPL/IR there. ILS, VOR & NDB approaches everywhere. Quite a good location for travelling places as you can visit places like Las Vegas, Phoenix, San Francisco, etc.

The aircraft aren't the most aesthetic and sometimes starting the twins are a laugh.

Instructors are pretty good, but mainly there waiting to get into a regional airline (also a good British Instructor- ask for him). The desk staff are the best I've ever come across, very helpfull and efficient.

You can stay in a nearby hotel which has a complimentary shuttle (Shilo Inn) and you get a good deal if you stay over 7 nights and sometimes one of the instructors rents out a shared room in her house, although I've not heard many good tales about the cleanliness of her house.

You've got me in the mood, I think I'll book a week of recency flying in March!!!

df1
3rd Feb 2004, 02:41
I must say that Air Desrt Pacific are a very professional school. I have flown with them on a number of occasions now and would be happy to vouch for them any day. I already plan to return for rental on my next holiday/trip there.

As stated there are an abundance of instrument approach facilities within minutes flying time. Brackett airport itself (where ADP are based) has two parallel runways and a VOR and ILS approach aids. the area is spectacular and Big Bear is a must if you fly there.

In my experience their aircraft were always serviceable (flyable) and even with last minute changes/requests (on my part!) they were always able to fit me in somewhere.

Would personally recommend. Please PM me if you want further details.

df1

hushkit77
3rd Feb 2004, 18:00
I must agree with the others. ADP are a great lot and the Shilo inn is very handy with an awsome breakfast!! I have flown over 10000nm in their aircraft, of course I didn't stay around the LA basin too long! Yes the planes are old and basically equipped but after all... you get them for cheap! I havn't been post 9/11 but I'm sure they will be very helpful still and willing to let you fly long distance if you want. good luck !!

Flying surfer
3rd Feb 2004, 19:40
I went there in October 2002 and was pleasantly surprised after all the cowboy flight scholos there are in Florida that finally I had found somewhere which delivered what they had promised on the tel.

They have mainly all the piper family it is a great place to fly and if the basin is smogged under then you can head into the desert where it will be really nice and clear. They are happy if you take the a/c away for a few days which I did and went up to S.Francisco and also towards Vegas and the Grand Canyon. I stayed in a place called Bullhead/Loughlin where the airfield is across the river. There's a ferry that will take you over to the hotels and gambling strip, we asked for a discount (managers rate) and paid $28/day for a really big room over looking the river. From here the G.Canyon is only about an hours flight and then south of that the sedona valley, pretty awesome places to visit. The Canyon just makes you feel so small its amazing.

When touring adp only refund at $2.00/gallon so if you don't want to pay too much above that then check out www.airnav.com for the cheapest fuel in the area your flying in.

Have fun