PDA

View Full Version : cringing in the bush

itchybum
2nd Feb 2004, 16:28
Just read "Cringeworthy" last page and got thinking. Just for the record, I'd like to point out that I proudly flew into TjunTjunTjarra when the community was just a grotty caravan and some old car bodies.

And I ( :8 ) wore gold bars and wings when I ( :8 ) did it too. Even kept them on when walking around the community, such as it was. The inhabitants :uhoh: were always very impressed which made me feel even prouder. In summer I wore the knee-high grand-dad socks and shorts which I loved.

But I was always afraid to wear them into the 7/11 on the way home because I might bump into frustrated RAAF-ies like bush mechanic :suspect: or perpetual_hold_file :zzz: or vapour trader :confused: or iwac (he whacks??) :yuk: who would make me feel rightfully shameful about it. :{

Anyway m-dot would you enlighten me as to what the place (TjunTjunTjarra) is like now? They got a Mackas yet? :ok: Would LOVE to go back one day...

the wizard of auz
2nd Feb 2004, 16:53
I wouldn't rush. I was over there a few months ago and it hasn't changed much. A couple of houses surounding the store with the locals passtimes still being, breeding dogs,sleeping and waiting for the store to open.

itchybum
2nd Feb 2004, 17:30
STORE ?!?!?!?!?!

the wizard of auz
2nd Feb 2004, 19:09
Community store!. you know, the place to swap sitdown money for cool drinks and ice cream, tin dog and chops.
Also a good place to hang health notices made by the kids. you know the ones......... Wama wonti, boyu wonti. Marloo gooka djilgan. ;)

compressor stall
2nd Feb 2004, 19:27
drove through there about 6 months ago taking the "new" cruiser for a spin. Pretty much the same as any other small community. A couple of hundred folk there, small clinic and store, all in the ubiqutious cages.

I might have a photo of it from the air if you want it.

CS

itchybum
2nd Feb 2004, 19:48
yeah kind of interested to see what I'm missing out on. Can you post it here so we can all enjoy it? That way I won't actually have to go back to check it out...

A community store. Wow. What next?

I forgot, besides the caravan and car bodies, the place featured the obligatory satellite TV dish. But that was years ago.

By the way Wiz, what type were you flying into the place?

the wizard of auz
2nd Feb 2004, 20:30
I bin drybin dat onepla tree ten.
Stallie is right though, the communities all look the same now days. The new one out east of the connie sue and anne bedell hiway crossing is nice...for now.

steamchicken
2nd Feb 2004, 21:20
Connie Sue/Anne Beadell Hwy junction? now you're talking bush!

mullet n tats
3rd Feb 2004, 08:52
I have excellent aerial colour photos of YTJU, YWBR, YWAX, YGLS and YTJI for those that may want to see what they look like now. If anyone can enlighten me as to how to put pics on this site I will post the one from YTJU.

Always great to go to these places and mix with our brothers and see what the culture is really like.

M n T

the wizard of auz
3rd Feb 2004, 11:08
If you wanna email it to me I'll host it and put it up for you. (prefer jpeg format. it makes my life easier).

GrossWeight
3rd Feb 2004, 17:02
tjuntjuntjarra's definately one of the nicer communities to get stuck at overnight! :) very friendly place indeed!!

not as rough as most the ones i've flown in and out of... great hospitality on the teachers behalf too! (cheers nicky and pam!)

itchybum
3rd Feb 2004, 18:59
tjuntjuntjarra's definately one of the nicer communities to get stuck at overnight Is this a serious comment???

Hard to believe. I preferred to sleep in a swag at the runway than go to "the caravan" back when I was there last. Admittedly that was a fair while ago. :eek: That's what a pit the place was. Sounds like it is "really coming along..." But I'll take your word for it.

WhiteRat Wannabe
3rd Feb 2004, 22:24
Ah, Tjuntjuntjarra, what a lovely place, been there once or twice. Good bunch of folk out there.

Especially that spear wielding local that knocked on the nurses door that day demanding something to calm him down cause he was worried he was going to kill someone!

Hey itchy, she flash now maaaaaate, she got one of dem long drops at the airport, big school, new houses, coupla dishes and one VERY unreliable public phone!!

VH-ABC - Flightwatch, ABC landed Tjuntjuntjarra cancel sarwatch.

Flightwatch - ABC.......pause....... i'm not even going to attempt to say it, sarwatch terminated!

Ah, those were the days, where's Towering Q when you need him?:8

Towering Q
4th Feb 2004, 08:21
Right here Rat!

That airport long drop was designed by a student architect, as were a lot of the new buildings. Still prefer to take a slash behind the sea container.:O

A passenger of mine once said..."but why did they build the community on a rubbish tip?"

tjuntjuntjarra's definately one of the nicer communities to get stuck at overnight Only if you lock yourself in the teachers house and don't come out until it's time to go.

GrossWeight
4th Feb 2004, 10:32
hahah better locked up in the teachers houses with all the creature comforts, than stuck in the roadhouse in warbo where the air con only spits out hot air!

itchybum
4th Feb 2004, 12:26
Ok, the last time I say this but... way back when I used to go there... there was nothing at the runway except the runway. You parked on the edge of the strip. The "sock" was a length of red something hanging from a long tree-branch.

What the **** is a "long drop"? Some new sort of 'community' high-tech creation that makes the whole experience so much more enjoyable somehow? Did I miss out?

The only pleasure I ever got in TTT was beating the hell out of the place to let them know I was there. The strip was about 2 NM from the caravan and car bodies.

KG FS had the place known as "Bucket". (Short for "S**t-In-A-Bucket")

HEALY
4th Feb 2004, 19:46
I think Warbo wasn't that bad. Spent 3 nights at the roadhouse and got fed like a king. The aircon in my shipping container worked a treat.

Those dogs at the roadhouse are HUGE.

steamchicken
4th Feb 2004, 22:30
The teech's house - an island of sanity, civilisation and relative comfort....

Crash & Burn
5th Feb 2004, 07:28
Did a charter to Tjuntjuntjarra around 5 years ago for Telstra.

The plan was to fly in, spend three days upgrading the Sat phone system and then fly out. On the way out the Telstra guys told me they had no intentions of staying all three days.

We arrived around 3pm and the Telstra guys got straight to work and didn't stop till it was dark. They were then up at the crack of dawn the next day and had it finished by 2pm - we were back in Perth that night!

Towering Q
5th Feb 2004, 08:25
itchybum , when one uses a 'long drop' one does not need to flush, in fact one cannot flush. Don't ever look down one with your sunnies on, because if they fall in they are never coming back.:ooh: (I just had to see how deep it was.)

Crash & Burn , Telstra have an ongoing love affair with Tjuntjun, they can't keep away from the place. We take them out so often that it wouldn't suprise me to see a telstra office appear out there soon. Who says they don't service the bush.

HEALY, have to agree with you on the Warbo roadhouse food, how do you think those dogs got so big? However, if your sea container isn't blessed with an ensuite you had better use protective foot wear as the communal ablutions resemble something from Midnight Express.:uhoh:

itchybum
5th Feb 2004, 12:56
I see. Well that would definitely have been an improvement and made "the whole experience so much more enjoyable somehow".

Wish we'd had one in the old days... Careful where you walk around on the strip edge, there may be a few fossils still lurking.

bush mechanics
6th Feb 2004, 14:40
Crikeys Itchybum,What you pickin on me for?
I wish I was in the RAAF.I bin fly dat real plash plane eh,you know dat real fast one.Time to start scratching ol fella and pull them long socks up as high as you like!!!!