View Full Version : Stanstead or Luton

allthegear
2nd Feb 2004, 08:59
Calling all pilots from the above - your thoughts/bitches/unflinchincing beliefs required.

I'm presently mil fast jet pilot, hard at study at ATPL, 1.5 yrs to exit and am within 1 hour travel of Luton and Stanstead. A previous thread in Questions has provided excellent initial info for a fella new to the ways of the civilian world, any advice would be much appreciated.

The big question - I'll earn my wage with anyone, and sell my soul if I have to. But the gold-plated solution is avoiding another relocation, and that means Stanstead or Luton. Please take some time and share you views.

Anthony Carn
2nd Feb 2004, 14:25
......the gold-plated solution is avoiding another relocation.....
In that case, don't take a job in airline flying. :rolleyes:

Not a flippant reply, just fact based upon experience of being at the mercy of a totally uncaring Management and a totally incompetent Union (sorry, old bean.....Association). Both elements will be found in almost all UK airlines.

PPRuNe Towers
2nd Feb 2004, 19:57
The obvious significant players for those two airports don't look a good bet - at the moment.

Either posting you wherever they want in their low cost empires or in the case of the charter companies requiring a lot of filling in at other busier bases especially during the winter. Lots of mini bus and hotac time to log.

The smaller companies have to stay 'flexible' to survive because it's contract work. You go where the work is.

For stability in that geographical area I'd take a sideways look and suggest looking at the exec operations. That said 18months is a very long time in this business.

Regards
Rob

Bumz_Rush
4th Feb 2004, 16:50
In my earlier aviation life, I was living at Gatwick, and worked in GA at Gatwick, then the work, different company was ex Biggin Hill, still GA, then it moved to Luton, so did I, then it moved overseas, and so did I.

The point I am trying to make is that Pilots should find a "home" that is good for them and as aviation companies come and go on a regular basis, spend slightly longer on travel. DO NOT RELOCATE TO THE JOB.

Most companies when pressed at interview will expand the 1hr limit, when you start to add in the time to park the car, travel on the car park bus, add in the motorway congestion.
The one hour from report would suggest a tent in the undershoot. No danger of missing the alarm call.

If you are planning a LLC future then you pays your money.....I have no expereince of airlines but there is plenty of shared experiences on PPrune.

Bumz.

Bluebaron
4th Feb 2004, 23:09
Britannia have both Luton and Stansted bases and are a great outfit to work for.

BB :ok:

fiftyfour
5th Feb 2004, 18:39
I'm ex military. Anhony Carn hits the nail spot on.
Try to live closer to Luton. Then if you have to work at Stansted you can, and if you have to be based at LHR you can, and if you are at LGW then you can (just), and if you have to work BHX , Coventry, EMA or MAN you could probably drive most of the time. If you end up abroad for a while you can travel from LHR easily etc.
It is very unlikely that your company/ies will give you an easy time on base location over a period of say 25years. Don't move house to suit the company - companies come and go with recessions, mergers and so on. Don.t believe anything your manager/chief pilot says - he may be genuine, but tomorrow he could be out and somebody new is in. Most managers in civilian life are not nearly as professional or as well educated or have the bread of experience that you will be used to having as a matter of routine in the forces. You'll be lucky if they have done more than the odd two or three day course covering their management role. Most managers, like staff are expendable - terms of notice are in everyones contract.
Even choosing a profitable expanding carrier is no guarantee to stability - somebody might offer the airline owner/shareholders lots of money for the airport slots for examople - your job disappears overnight. You will probably read it in the press before you get the letter in your mail slot (unlikely to be sent 1st class post to your home).
You may think I'm bitter. I'm not. I love my job, and my past jobs (and I've had 4 unscripted employer changes in 18 years). Don't come into this business expecting 'someone' higher up to be 'looking after you.' You are on your own - part of the beauty of it all after the forces.

easyprison
5th Feb 2004, 22:00
head for STN or LGW. LTN is a dump, aptly known as Toilet Town.

wheelbarrow
5th Feb 2004, 22:22
learn how the spell the name first!

STANSTED, not STANSTEAD!

LTNman
7th Feb 2004, 22:23
Go for Luton, as it is an easier word to spell on your application form.:D :p :O

Musket90
8th Feb 2004, 23:49
If you're used to flying fast jets try Stansted, it has a much longer runway than Luton! Also you will have two to choose from in about 8 years.

pitotheat
15th Feb 2004, 20:29
atg,

Dont be put off by some of the cynics it's still beats working for a living. I found the transition from military to civilian OK but you have to look after yourself, do some financial research in to the companies you are applying to. No one will look after you but yourself. The pilot management are often some way down the company structure so are not always in the loop. Try to talk to as many as you can.

As for location you should be able to find a location within 45 minutes of both LTN and STN which covers you for more options (most airlines like you to be within 1 to 1.5 hours of work). Sorry if this sounds patrinising but it is based on some experience.

Good luck with the exams, if in doubt go for answer C!!!

Offchocks
3rd Mar 2004, 04:56
How about living some where between both such as Royston, gives you some flexability with working in either LTN or STN! :D