PDA

View Full Version : Tales of An Old Aviator .... The Big Chill

Pages : 1 [2]

brockenspectre
6th Feb 2005, 19:10
Dear Duke

Am happy that you have slipped the surly, and painful, bonds of earth and know now that you soar on laughter-silvered wings.

May Creator/God bless you - thank you for being an inspiration for so many. I do hope someone will arrange the publication of your "tales" ... the era in which you flew will never come again.

Tonight, like many nights, I have a tealight candle lit in memory of those dear to me and, if it doesn't seem presumptuous, I will include you there.

I kept looking to this thread today as I felt when I woke this morning that you had been taken by Creator to the airfield in the sky ... and as this means that you are now free from pain, I am glad to learn you have passed.

Love and light to your family and friends left behind.

Thank you again for your wonderful stories and for your life.

luv brockie

BOAC
6th Feb 2005, 19:39
Amen and God rest. I feel I came to know him a bit.

IB4138
6th Feb 2005, 20:56
Fly free Duke

God Bless

Astrodome
6th Feb 2005, 20:59
"I would not have you grieve when I am gone,
I have no sorrow that my life is spent,
As happy a man as ever sun shone on,
My life has been a joy, and I'm content.
I have known the glory of an English day,
The soft whisper of rain on grateful trees,
The happy song of birds at break of day,
The drifting wood-smoke on the evening breeze.
No regrets that all these things are fled,
I shall find joy whatever lies ahead."

The above poem was composed in 1943 by Sgt. Maurice Dudley Chasmer, wireless operator - Air Gunner with 434 Squadron RAF.

On the night of 27/28 September 1943, 73 Halifaxes from 419, 427, 428, 429, and 434 Squadrons were joined by 9 Wellingtons from 432 Squadron for an attack at Hanover.
P/O O. Lytle RCAF and crew, flying Halifax V LK-917 coded WL-X, failed to return from this operation.
Sgt E. Elder RAF
Sgt H. Lindsay RAF
W/O2 R. Pedlar RCAF
F/Sgt J. Monteith RCAF
Sgt M. Chasmar RAF
F/Sgt H. Hansell RCAF
F/Sgt J. Leach RCAF

FunkyMunky
6th Feb 2005, 21:21
RIP Duke

For someone I've never met, I feel as if I know Duke well through his amazing accounts of his life in aviation. I never got to posting on his thread, but like chimbu, I'll be raising a glass to a truly heroic gentleman. One hopes that now Duke can rest in peace, free from his pain.

Trinflight
6th Feb 2005, 21:28
Go easy Duke. You will be missed.

Empty Cruise
6th Feb 2005, 21:52
God bless, Duke!

You will be missed - having enriched & touched so many lives. Even as somebody who just got to see a little bit of your adventures & personality, I feel the loss that have befallen us all.

My thoughts to all those of you who have lost a dear friend or family member.

Go in peace, mate...
Empty.

barleyhi
6th Feb 2005, 22:31
Duke and family,
Thanks for the privledge of reading your stories. I saw this poem on Gene Whitts(another legend) site: http://www.whittsflying.com

Thought it appropriate

Flying West
I hope there's a place, way up in the sky,
Where pilots can go, when they have to die.
A place where a guy can buy a cold beer
For a friend and a comrade, whose memory is dear;
A place where no doctor or lawyer can tread,
Nor a management type would ere be caught dead;
Just a quaint little place, kind of dark, full of smoke,
Where they like to sing loud, and love a good joke;
The kind of a place where a lady could go
And feel safe and protected, by the men she would know.
There must be a place where old pilots go,
When their paining is finished, and their airspeed gets low.
Where the whiskey is old, and the women are young,
And songs about flying and dying are sung.
Where you'd see all the fellows who'd flown west before,
And they'd call out your name as you came through the door.
Who would buy you a drink, if your thirst should be bad,
And relate to the others, "He was quite a good lad!"
And then through the mist, you'd spot an old guy,
You had not seen in years, though he taught you to fly.
He'd nod his old head, and grin ear to ear;
And say, "Welcome, my son, I'm pleased that you're here."
"For this is the place where true flyers come,"
"When their journey is over, and the war has been won."
"They've come here at last to be safe and alone"
"From the government clerks and the management drones,"
"Politicians and lawyers, the Feds and the noise,"
"Where all hours are happy, and these good ole boys"
"Can relax with a cool one, and a well deserved rest;"
"This is heaven, my son......You've passed your last test!"

Here's to ya, Duke

Confabulous
6th Feb 2005, 22:42
Godspeed Duke, you'll forever be an inspiration to anyone involved in aviation. Whenever I read your recollections and stories I am always reminded of Ernest K Gann's inspiring autobiography, 'Fate is the Hunter', with one exception - your tales were and are much better in my eyes.

And it seems that fate is still the hunter, but I'm glad you could share your myriad of alternately hilarious, terrifying and sagacious experiences with us right up to the end of your adventure-filled life.

Richard Bandler says that when he dies, he'll have 'To Be Continued...' written on his gravestone. I've no doubt you will live on in all of us - after all, we each share something that few others have experienced... the love of flight.

Thank you Duke, you're cleared for touch and go, winds calms, and have a good one.

Confab

pigboat
6th Feb 2005, 22:57
Goodbye Les.
We never met in person, only via the internet, although it turned out we did cross paths a time or two.
My very deepest sympathies to your wife and family and your many friends.
May your alternate never go below minimums.

SyllogismCheck
6th Feb 2005, 23:33
Thank you for sharing your riveting stories Duke.

My thoughts with those you leave now to meet again another day.
My glass charged ready to be raised to you.

Clear skies and following winds on your journey Duke.

Lu Zuckerman
6th Feb 2005, 23:40
My grandson who was taken from us several years ago in a horrific accident just told me that he has contacted Duke who will give him PPL instruction.

RIP Duke. You are a hero in my eyes as well as the eyes of many who knew you or those that would have wanted to know you.

:sad: :sad:

ecnalubma
7th Feb 2005, 00:42
Duke fought an amasing battle with an unyeilding foe and through it all he was able to enlighten and entertain us with his stories. We will miss you Duke, may your last flight be smooth.
My sincerest and heart felt condolences to his family and close friends.

tinpis
7th Feb 2005, 03:56
Goodbye Les it was nice knowing you all those years ago.
My condolences to all the loving family and friends that Les has left behind.

angels
7th Feb 2005, 06:45
BOAC said it Amen and God rest. I feel I came to know him a bit.

Take care.

AerBabe
7th Feb 2005, 08:22
Terribly sad news. I have not had time to keep current on this thread, so have only just been made aware of his passing.
Sleep well, Duke.

MReyn24050
7th Feb 2005, 10:07
Duke. Whilst I have never had the privilege of meeting you in person I do feel that I have got to know you through your wonderful tales regarding your experiences in aviation. Your strength and courage throughout your fight against the big C has been an example to us all.

We will miss you.

My sincerest and heart felt condolences to your family and close friends.

Someday we will know, where the pilots go
When their work on earth is through.
Where the air is clean, and the engines gleam,
And the skies are always blue.
They have flown alone, with the engine's moan,
As they sweat the great beyond,
And they take delight, at the awesome sight
of the world spread far and yon.
Yet not alone, for above the moan, when the earth is
out of sight,
As they make their stand, He takes their hand,
and guides them through the night.
How near to God are these men of sod,
Who step near death's last door?
Oh, these men are real, not made of steel,
But He knows who goes before,
And how they live, and love and are beloved,
But their love is most for air.
And with death about, they will still fly out,
And leave their troubles there.
He knows these things, of men with wings,
And He knows they are surely true.
And He will give a hand, to such a man
'Cause He's a pilot too.
— unknown

The Boy Lard
7th Feb 2005, 11:55
I've wanted to post on this thread for a while, to offer encouragement from afar but never really thought I had the right words or sentiment and felt as though I was intruding in some way.....

Now I can only express my sadness along with everyone else.

A truly inspirational individual who reminded me exactly why I'm trying to get to where he went....If I could be 10% of The Duke I'd feel gifted.

Gods Speed Duke

BeauMan
7th Feb 2005, 12:58
For weeks now, I've dreaded seeing new posts on this thread. Dreaded seeing the news that Duke has gone.

I've read the stories with a mixture of awe, humour, wonderment, a whole range of emotions. And then I've read the updates in tears as Duke told how he was in pain but still fighting, still being strong for both his families - his wife, son and daughter, and his extended global family in aviation.

I have a tear in my eye now as I type this, because the day has finally come when I've logged on to see a new post on Duke's thread, a post which I'd hoped wouldn't come.

But this tear isn't one of sorrow; it's one of thanks. Thanks that Duke is no longer in pain. Thanks that he went with his family by his side and their words of love in his ears. Thanks that, by sharing his stories and experiences with us all, he has enriched our lives. Maybe, for those of us who do fly, whether we're low hour students or PPL's or high hour military pilots, his stories will help us to become better pilots.

Maybe Duke's stories might help save some of our lives some day.

I can think of no finer legacy.

Rest In Peace, Duke. And thankyou Sir.

FJJP
7th Feb 2005, 13:42
Fly high, my internet friend.

One day we'll share a beer and talk endlessly of the shared love of our lives - flying.

I wipe away the tears and offer condolences to the family you leave behind...

FJJP

LowNSlow
7th Feb 2005, 16:49
I was saddened to hear that Duke had passed away, at last his pain is over. My deepest sympathies and condolences go out to his wife, children and friends.
He made an indelible mark on aviation and I feel priviledged to have read his stoies, they are a great legacy to leave to those of us who can never experience the kind of aviation world he was part of. I enjoyed the stories immensly and, like BeauMan dreaded seeing the inevitable post.

R.I.P. Duke, you deserve a good rest.

trustno1
7th Feb 2005, 17:34
Thank you for sharing your stories Duke. I am sorry to read of your passing. It may help your family a little to know that even though many people on this forum never met you, your stories have touched us all. My sincerest and heart felt condolences to your family and friends.

Suaimhneas síoraí dá anam

For the Moderators.

If you ever decide to have a Pprune thread Hall of Fame....I vote for this one.

J Urby
7th Feb 2005, 18:32
Farewell Duke, your stories were an inspiration. Rest in Peace.

airborne_artist
7th Feb 2005, 18:50
The shear pleasure and entertainment, let alone the wisdom, in his tales ensures that he has touched and cheered more people more deeply than most ever will.

God Speed, Duke.

RampTramp
7th Feb 2005, 21:49
Just caught up with the sad, sad news. Sad for us but what must be a great relief to the man himself.

My condolences to the family & friends he left behind. After his amazing stories, that last category must number thousands, albeit from afar.

Although I never met you Duke, you certainly enriched my life and I would be honoured to call you friend.

God speed and rest in well deserved peace.

RT

VP8
8th Feb 2005, 02:32
Just read this from start to finish during a quiet night shift.....sorry to hear there there will be no more tales of derring do.

God speed Les, thanks for the time spent with us here.

VEEPS

Rhodie
8th Feb 2005, 08:43
On every log-in to the site, I have a quick check for any updates from 'The Duke'.

It is with immense sorrow that I now see that Les has just earned his final rating.

Fly high and fast kind Sir, your written words telling of your incredible life will live on forever.

You will be missed

Condolences to family and loved ones.

R

Sawmill Broad
10th Feb 2005, 00:28
Hi Everyone,

There will be a Celebration of Life for the Duke on the 19th of February, Saturday at 1pm

It will be held at the Upper Valley Aviation hangar which is at 8406 Lockheed Place in Chilliwack.

It is located just off Airport Rd. one block past the airport on the right.

I will be printing out all of the posts of condolences for his family and friends to read at the celebration.

Everyone is welcome and Duke's wife says thank you for honouring him.

Sawmill Broad

Skeet
10th Feb 2005, 05:09
Thank you for your stories, Duke. You are a true inspiration.

"When once you have tasted flight you will always walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward; for there you have been and there you will always be." (Leonardo da Vinci)

Marc

PPRuNe Pop
10th Feb 2005, 23:16
I have just come to see this sad news. Farewell Duke, you have left your mark in the field of aviation and will be long remembered for your tales on PPRuNe. I will resurrect them on each anniversay for others to see. They deserve it and so do you.

God bless you and keep you.

Lowtimer
11th Feb 2005, 19:16
I read every word that I could find of Duke's writing, and learned a great deal from it. He was a talented writer as well as a tremendously experienced pilot: in writing these honest, raw accounts of his flying adventures he has enabled many of us to feel the same wind on our cheeks that he felt. And a part of him lives on, in the memories he has passed on as gifts to thousands of us across the world. Duke, I salute you, and thank you, Sir, for your lessons. Fair weather!

SawThe Light
12th Feb 2005, 00:52
Copied from one of Les's early posts.

"A few lessons here...
Don't give up till you're licked.
Don't whine and trivialize when you haven't been there.
Lets keep our profession out of the gutter...we need each other.
I have another difficult mission ahead...and if I croak...I would like on my tombstone.....
HONOUR IS A MANS GIFT TO HIMSELF"

Duke was an aviator that didn't give up, but in the end he was overwhelmed. He had indeed "been there" but didn't whine or trivialize. He remained a professional and was there for others.

He is now on that last difficult mission.

Farewell fellow aviator, may you rest in peace.

STL

brockenspectre
12th Feb 2005, 18:49
Sawmill Broad unfortunately I won't be able to be in Chilliwack for the memorial next Saturday but please know that at the time the celebration of Duke's life begins I will be raising a glass of fizzy wine to his memory :ok:

M. I. Icarus?
12th Feb 2005, 21:14
the young at heart don't leave us

my thoughts will forever come back to you, Duke
once every while, when the time allows thought
about the being of aviators, the ones who seek the sky

Cruising through white rooms
unrevisitable
unpredictable
momentary confining
in pure solitary flying
no earthbound connection
only peaceful reflection
in the white rooms
of flying

emerging
from heavenly surroundings
soaring the tranquil white seas
skimming immovable waves
opening before you
closing behind
submergence
leaving no trace
on these desolate oceans
forever moving
drifting in
indefinite metamorphosis

Duke, you have left a trace, a revisitable memory, a mark in the sky

O.

Sharpie
14th Feb 2005, 06:40
Sawmill Broad

Please convey my heartfelt sorrow to Duke's family and friends who will be in attendance next Saturday and apologise for my non-attendance. I am very saddened at the passing of Les whom I met many years ago in Papua New Guinea (actually it does not seem that long ago really) but will most certainly have a few San Miguels for him on the day, here at the local Yacht Club.

Please see if it is possible to print his writings in book form and I for one will buy a few.

Sincerest condolences.

Peter Sharpe.

Chimbu chuckles
15th Feb 2005, 15:03
When our life is in it's final moments all the houses, boats, aeroplanes, cars we've owned and all the money we have made is put into true perspective...meaningless ****.

What is important is the true love we have shared and received and the life lessons we have passed on to our children....the deep friendships we have experienced...the joy of the human condition in all it's finest.

To have lived life honourably, loved and been loved in return is all that counts when you face those final moments on this earth.

Duke you lived well, loved well and died well....surrounded by thousands of people who loved and respected you.

I have this mental image of you sitting on a rock in a forest...all burnt out except the little bit of green surrounding you...getting a haircut from a beautiful angel.... Inspiration.

Chuckles

Ex FSO GRIFFO
16th Feb 2005, 07:07
Amen 'Chimbu',

To Duke's wife Kathy, and family, and many friends, including "Sawmill" for your lovely, simple, yet eloquent post,

Deepest Sympathy from 'a colleague in spirit'.
Never met, but will be oft remembered.
It was my pleasure to have known of you.
Thankyou.

Ex FSO Griffo
Perth
Australia.

Herc Jerk
17th Feb 2005, 05:16
Thank you Duke Elegant,

Godspeed

the wizard of auz
17th Feb 2005, 13:06
Duke, Rest well. Rest as well as you lived.
You were a true insperation and it was a pleasure to know you and your stories. You fought the good fight and will be well remebered.
R.I.P.

Readability5
17th Feb 2005, 16:18
Blue skies Duke. As well as being inspirational these were also damn good stories and must be one of the most enjoyed threads ever on Pprune.

I saw something written yesterday that made me think of Duke: "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - Wow! what a ride!"

From Dukes stories I'd guess he enjoyed his ride. RIP.

Maxflyer
17th Feb 2005, 20:16
I used to look at the post count on this thread hoping that an increase would mean another of Duke's great tales. Now it's eulogies from his many admirers. This place is all the worse for his passing, yet better for having had him here in the first place.

I hope Danny and the team will do something to mark his passing.

Irish Steve
28th Feb 2005, 21:11
Wow!

I'm trying, not altogether successfully, to think straight having browsed through sections of this massive thread, and I'm feeling so many different emotions that are all competing for attention.

First, great sadness at the passing of a man who has made a mark on the world by his life. He will be missed by many, and there will probably not be too many people who will be able to make a similar mark in the future.

Second, happiness for Duke, that he was able to maintain and show so clearly such a deep and clear zest for life throughout all of the trials he faced towards the end. You can call it whatever you will, courage, determination, commitment, the name doesn't really matter, what shines through is the strength of character that he possessed.

Third, respect for all that have been involved with this thread. I've been around here for a while, and this is one thread where there's been no controversy, abuse, name calling or any of the other things that are becoming too frequent elsewhere.

Fourth, relief that my own encounter with Big C was only a passing skirmish so far, and if what the medics and statistics are telling me is right, I might not see it again for a long time, if ever. And for anyone that's not looking forward to having a medico check his prostate for enlargement at the time of the medical, I shall always and for ever be very glad I did a class 1 instead of a class 2 when all I really needed was a medical for some recreational flying at the time. If I hadn't done the class 1, I might not have been here to write this, as there was nothing symptom wise to indicate that my prostate was in trouble. This all happened about the same time as this thread started. So far, it's not returned, and the signs are good that it might not.

I could probably add a lot more, but I'm not sure I totally trust my emotions at the moment, they've been well shaken and stirred over the last hour or so.

To all Duke's family, I hadn't even seen this thread till today, and I wish I'd seen it sooner, it's been an inspiration to me to just read how he met the challenge head on and at full speed.

His final departure will have left an unfillable void, which even time will be unable to fill adequately. You have my profound respect and sympathy for all you have dealt with. I know you have been left with many happy memories. Long may they provide the strength and support you need.

PPRuNe Pop
2nd Mar 2005, 11:56
It has been suggested that PPRuNe marks the passing of the 'Duke' with perhaps a suitable epitath. I think the Duke has written his own epitath, here in this thread, and much better than anyone else could possibly have done.

I have in recent times spoke to Danny about him and his eloquence in stirring our aviation blood. Everything he wrote was a pleasure to read and should be continued to be read. Danny was very keen indeed that people should read of the Duke's adventures and ask me to ensure that the thread stayed.

Now that he has left I suspect we will keep it here for a few weeks and then let it slip away. However I will, next February, re-activate the thread on the anniversary of the Duke's death for people to remind themselves of this larger than life aviator who has touched the lives of so many with his life and times and his daring do.

PPRuNe has been richer for his presence here and it will be again as long as we are able to do so.

Duke, RIP.

M. I. Icarus?
2nd Mar 2005, 16:14
Does anyone know if somewhere someone is putting Duke's tales together for publication? Hopefully there are more stories which weren't even posted, and I know I want to reread his adventures on paper and give the book to friends.
I would be honored to have Duke's book grace my book shelves.

KC-10 Driver
2nd Mar 2005, 21:48
Duke developed quite a following on another web board, Flightinfo.com.

One of the members of that board compiled his posts and put them on her own website. If anyone would like to look at it, here is the link:

The Big Chill - Tales of an old aviator - Duke Elegant (http://www.equinedzine.com/Duke_Elegant.htm)

Despite Flightinfo's tendency towards juvenile behavior, Duke has stirred a lot of emotion and a great following on that board.

His stories sum the dreams of aviation glory and adventure I had when I was young, but which I never quite achieved.

RIP Duke.

Taildragger
2nd Mar 2005, 23:16
Duke.....
You sure you arent't Ernie Gann reincarnated. You certainly sound the same. Timeless voices my friend.

Vortex what...ouch!
25th Mar 2005, 07:25
Having only just come across this thread I'm saddened that the Duke has gone. Truly an inspiration and left this world a better place for his being here. His stories were amazing and I hope he is sat somewhere with a cold one and a mischievous smile on his face that I am sure he wore on more than one occasion in his colourful life.

A pleasure to have known you - if only through your writings. I will be raising a glass to you tonight.

I hope your family can find some comfort in the knowledge that you brought such joy to so many around the globe.

Cheers mate........:ok:

Casper
13th Apr 2005, 05:30
Rest in peace, Les.

Spinflight
22nd Feb 2006, 02:36
I hope no-one thinks it is morbid to ping this thread back to the top.

A wee bit late but here's to the Duke. :ok:

I know that if reading his exploits gave as much pleasure to others as it did to me then he would have been a happy, and wonderfully egotistical, man.

Hope you're reincarnated Les, we need more like you.

PPRuNe Pop
22nd Feb 2006, 08:58
Nope. You have only done that which I intended to do. But events rather overtook me and I am now shame faced that I forgot.

He was one of aviation's greats and I am pleased that we can remind us all of such truly great people like him.

Thanks.

PPP