PDA

View Full Version : Flash player kaput?

sprocket
1st Feb 2004, 07:33
For reasons unknown, my flash player will not load/play at applicable websites.
After a search on the net it appears others are having the same problem... and it is usually with XP.

Has anyone here had this problem and has it been resolved. Suggestions are welcome on settings to try etc

Using: XP, IE6, ZA, NAV

Saab Dastard
2nd Feb 2004, 04:18
Sprocket,

I have a related problem - Shockwave refuses to load, although Flash is OK on XP, with IE6.

I have emailed macromedia with the symptoms - hangs the browser on "completion" of installation, then constantly tells me I have to restart the system, even when I have.

I'll post back if I hear anything from them.

SD

Saab Dastard
4th Feb 2004, 06:12
I got the following response back from Macromedia support about the Shockwave player installation problem:

Thank you for contacting Macromedia Technical Support.

Most Shockwave-related issues are best resolved by simply uninstalling/reinstalling any Shockwave files on your machine. The first thing to do is to download the stand-alone Shockwave installer and uninstaller from:
http://www.macromedia.com/support/director/ts/documents/standalone_installer.htm

Make sure that you download the MX version of the player.

Once you've downloaded the uninstaller, run it and then restart your machine. Make sure that you don't have anti-virus software running and then run the installer.

If that doesn't work, try this:

1. Look for files called Dirapi.dll and iml32.dll (Director runtime files) in the system folder (Windows\System32).

2. Cut these files and paste them to another location on your harddrive (not in the Windows Directory). Make sure that you take note of the new location.

3. Uninstall the Shockwave player using the uninstaller and delete the Macromed folder (also under the System folder).

4. Reinstall the Shockwave player using the stand-alone installer.

sprocket
4th Feb 2004, 10:03
Thanks SD, will give it a try shortly.

sprocket
4th Feb 2004, 16:45
When I click on the download link for MX I get ...
" You are not authorized to view this page"

Yet when I use my good old W98 computer, it lets me straight in.

I really dont understand what is going on here, except for the urge to throw the XP piece of #### out the window.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
4th Feb 2004, 22:59
sprocket,

Tell us about your XP machine.

Did you build or buy it? Who made it if you bought it. Anything about the hardware in it would help.

How long have you had it?

Was WinXP a fresh install or an upgrade?

I am sure we could get your problem solved for you.

Take Care,

Richard

sprocket
5th Feb 2004, 03:54
Naples: The machine was new in December and came with new installation of XP home ed.. It was built up locally by the same guy who built my previous W98 unit. He came around last night and sat at the computer for an hour and a half but could not resolve it.

Flashplayer is definately installed and has been working normally.

Every now and then a box would appear on the screen saying the cookies were not enabled but in the IE settings the cookies had been enabled.
Active X has even been allowed fully but to no avail.
My thoughts are that the settings are being overridden possibly by a setting in my spybot program ( loaded shortly after I first recieved the computer) but I cannot see where to adjust it.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
5th Feb 2004, 10:15
sprocket,

Since the machine is so new and the guy that built it is local, why not have him just wipe the drive and do a fresh install. It would save you a lot of headaches.

You should not have problems this early. (Especially if you have checked for viruses and malware and came up clean.)

Take Care,

Richard

Ant
5th Feb 2004, 16:25
sproket

Think I can help on this one. I used to get this a lot and eventually discovered that by lowering the security settings on my Zonealarm Pro for a given site that access would be allowed. Just out of curiousity, what firewall do you have? Just try easing off those settings a bit and see if it works.

sprocket
5th Feb 2004, 17:24
Saab Dastard: the Dirapi.dll and iml32.dll files cannot be found on my puter.

Naples: I am slowly coming around to the realisation that a reload might be my only way out. Being of a stubborn nature it still ilks me just to know what is actually causing the prob.

Ant: I gave ZA pro a trial run a few weeks ago but reverted back to ZA (free) when the trial expired. Could any of the 'ZA pro 'settings remain even after reverting back?
I have tried your suggestion and lowered security settings to zero protection, but still no joy.

Ant
5th Feb 2004, 18:32

I'm still sure its a ZA security thing. So, try this idea. Shut down ZA and use XP's own firewall (control panel... network connections...right click on your internet connection... properties...advanced and put tick for 'protect my computer'. This worked for me until I got the security settings on ZA right. Not sure whether your trial of ZA Pro has affected things.

Saab Dastard
5th Feb 2004, 18:42
Sprocket,

There's a lot of useful troubleshooting information on Macromedia's support site. If you can go to their test page and check that your Shock / Flash players are working, then the problem is far more likely to do with the web site you are trying to access.

There is some information on this on the macromedia site. When I upgraded to flash 7 I found some sites didn't work, due to out of date versions of the site creation software. My children found a problem on the Lego website that kept crashing the browser, so I emailed Lego with the problem and the macromedia stuff - it did eventually get fixed - 4 months later! I claim no credit for this coincidence!

If you are still having problems with your actual install, I suggest you download the flash player uninstaller from macromedia's site and run it. Download the standalone installer and run that with AV stopped.

The 2 *.dll files are probably associated with Shockwave, and the pukka versions should be in the Windows\macromedia folder.

Good luck

SD