PDA

View Full Version : File Open/Save Order Scrambled

The Old Fogducker
1st Feb 2004, 02:35
Hi Folks:

Need your help in solving this irksome problem which has developed over the last couple of months. This applies to Win 98SE.

When I go to open or save a file, (happens in all programs) ... I get the small window opening which takes me to the appropriately selected folder, except it is no longer in alphabetical order as it has been in the past.

Across the top of the small window, I see the file folder location with the drop down menu. Next is the button for "Up One Level" then "View Desktop" button, then the "Create New Folder" button, followed by the "List" button, and finally the "Details" button.

The small "List" button in the upper right corner is always depressed when it opens the window, and I have to press the "Details" button to make everything come up such as File, Size, Type, etc. In the not so recent past, it has always opened with the "Details" button depressed as the default and all items are listed first by punctation mark, followed by numbers, then files listed alphabetically. The default has now somehow become the "List" button, and I don't recall making any settings changes.

After clicking on the "List" button, I get the display I was expecting, but the files are not in order. By clicking on the "Name" bar, I can then sort items alphabetically. Then, I have to the same with all folders which appear as I go through the order of material.

As an example, if I were to want to save a picture that I had edited, the window would open, I'd need to click on "My Computer," sort the drive order, then click on "C Drive," sort the order, click on "Pictures," sort the order, click on the "Favorite Pictures," sort the order, and finally have things arranged the way I want them to be able to browse files in aphabetical order.

All this needless clicking and sorting has me really bugged!

The machine never had this problem before, and I can't seem to find the settings which would have this appear with the "Details" button depressed when I Open or Save a file.

When I open Windows Explorer, all folders and files in those folders are displayed in alhabetical order, and this problem only happens when some other program opens or saves a file, and it happens in all programs which require a file to be saved or opened.

Thanks for taking the time to assist me with this problem.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
1st Feb 2004, 02:49
The Old Fogducker,

It has been a long time since I used Win98. I think I remember being able to set the default like this:

Open up windows Explorer

Sort the directory the way you want. (In this case Alphabetical.)

CTRL + CLICK on the CLOSE button in the upper right hand corner.

This will change the default sort order for file, open menu.

Take Care,

Richard

P.S. Try it, but I am not sure if I am remembering correctly or not, it has been close to 5 years since I used Win98.

[Edited at The Old Fogducker's request]:ok:

The Old Fogducker
1st Feb 2004, 03:14
Thanks. I'll have a go at it and see what happens.

This might be the final irritant I need to go to XP Pro, so there may be a hidden benefit in this problem.

Also, I posted my name in the post by accident. Would appreciate if you could edit it out of your post to preserve my identity from prying eyes.

Regards,
The Old Fogducker

The Old Fogducker
3rd Feb 2004, 07:32
Thanks. Appreciate the edit. Not everyone on the face of the earth loves me!

Naples Air Center, Inc.
3rd Feb 2004, 11:08
The Old Fogducker,

np, happy to help keep Vinnie "The Knee Capper" from finding you. :cool:

Were you able to sort out your computer?

Take Care,

Richard

The Old Fogducker
6th Feb 2004, 13:20
Hi Richard:

Yes, I "got it sorted" last night.....in the real sense of the term.

I learned that if you go into each of the folders where the file order is "scrambled" and sort them by name alphabetically, then hold the "control" key at the same time as closing out Windows Explorer, the next time it opens everything is back to normal.

This also fixes the problem whenever you go to Open or Save a file in other programs.

A buddy passed along a rather neat webpage which is full of these sort of helpful tips. For the benefit of anyone that may stumble onto this thread in the future, here it is:

http://www.sacpcug.org/archives/0307/fafw.html

Sure is a good thing you protected me from the "heavies." I can't risk my Witness Protection Program status....LOL