PDA

View Full Version : Aviation life in Gambia

Raynald
1st Feb 2004, 01:51
Hi,

Does anybody get info about how's life and aviation in Gambia ? I will be probably rebased in Banjul soon and I wanna know how about the security and everything over there.

Thankx so much

Ray

Boss Raptor
1st Feb 2004, 03:48
Security at the airport is better than most, the lifestyle and safety in BJL is good...nice place...no probs...hard going to work there typical african bureaucracy and lack of action...everything takes weeks rather than days...

Fair few European/British expats living there, nice crowd on the whole...plenty of holiday makers passing through...overall one of the better postings in Africa.

No aviation whatsoever, no flying club, no private acft, few microlights thats's it...all the Gambian operators appear to be flag of convenience and no based at Yundum.

Raynald
1st Feb 2004, 03:58
Thanks for your help ! Do you know if there's a 737-200 coming regularly in BJN ? Normaly yes and a second one's coming. They wanna fly the west coast: Dakar, Conakry first.

Other question, you know if there's a company called Tropical or Tropicana based in Kinshasa ?

Ray

Boss Raptor
1st Feb 2004, 04:04
There are and have been so many operators claiming to be starting out of BJL and West Africa as a whole...few of which have happened (none since Air Dabia in BJL)...dont hold yr breath or believe everything u hear...Bellview of Nigeria do operate the 737-200 thru BJL from Lagos and Freetown and Air Senegal Intl. come in from Dakar with the -200 also.

surely not
8th Feb 2004, 01:41
The security at the airport is a bit of an issue for European airlines at the moment. The 100% HBS machine has been 'broken' for quite a while and all bags are hand searched
................... allegedly.

You are right about the Gambians being a very friendly people. Although begging is not unusual you won't feel threatened as you do in some African countries.

I'd work there tomorrow if I could get a position for a European carrier on European wages!

Boss Raptor
8th Feb 2004, 02:25
Me too but think I'd have to come home regularly for sanity

hand searched baggage screening - over my dead body unless I am bloody watching :mad:

haven't been there for 2 years now everything was working then...but the Dutch seconded Terminal Manager had just gone and the terminal was starting to turn into a **** hole again

surely not
8th Feb 2004, 20:02
From what I saw the DfT and TSA should have plenty to write about when they visit in the near future.

Great Hi-lo's though, they looked in better condition than many on the ramps at UK airports!

They could probably benefit from redesigning the departing pax flow from C-in. At the moment pax flow is a mish mash from C-in to security/Customs, then back through the crowds to Emmigration controls. If you add in Pax profiling before c-in then it quickly becomes a heaving scrum of pushing pax.

A lot of potential though.

Jangys
10th Feb 2004, 16:44
There is a small sight-seeing aero club in Banjul. Two microlights, Cessna 172 etc.

I believe a new carrier started operating out of Banjul called AFRINAT AIRLINES. They signed a 1 year ACMI lease with Million Air Charter. They operate a DC9-32 aircraft with registration ZS-OLN.

Schedule services between Banjul, Free-Town, Accra, Dakar etc. whole west coast routes, very similar to Ghana Airways.

Spoke to one of the Million Air Pilots who said that Gambia is a very beautifull country with lots of potential. People are friendly and helpfull. The CAA is also very keen to see new operators starting up.

Gambian International Airlines also operate out of Banjul with a B737-700. Also a leased aircraft from somewhere.

Million Air is hoping to get some business from GIA as well in the near future.

Crew stayed at the Sun Beach Hotel which is some 1 hours drive from the Airport. Transport is not much to talk about and the roads even worse.

No serious crime, only pick-pockets etc.

Blend in with the locals and you would be fine. Locals all understand and speak English which is a plus, unlike other french colonies.

Be sure to take a boatride up the Gambia river and visit James Island for a most unforgettable experience.

:ok:

alexmcfire
27th Mar 2004, 21:46
Some fun facts, the airport was built with money from Khadaffi,
saw an Antonov-124 when I was at the airport.
Furthermore I think Gambian operators are banned from the UK
airspace?

concordino
28th Mar 2004, 13:09
I think Gambian International uses 737NG from a Spanish operator, I'd guess Futura or Air Europa.

I hear them in Casablanca FIR from time to time.

crisidebrian
28th Mar 2004, 15:53
Gambia International (GNR) uses a 737-800 operated by Futura, the spanish charter company.

BAe 146-100
28th Mar 2004, 20:45
Afrinat DC-9-32 ZS-OLN should have departed to Banjul just after Christmas. It is seen below at JNB on February 15th without engines. Maybe another african airline that never got airborne?

http://www.airliners.net/photos/small/9/2/8/533829.jpg

BAe 146-100

Gunship
21st Apr 2004, 20:41
:sad: Only seen this thread now.

How sad .. we where all waiting for this new airline to start up and get a more - reliable route to Ghana's hub. (previously served by Millionair (Ghana Scareways)

Please keep us informed if you see engine appearing again .. :D

But now with Million Air going down ???

Tropicana ... did anyone mention Tropicana ..