PDA

View Full Version : PC 2 Laptop usimg USB connection

Mo Heekan
31st Jan 2004, 18:18
Hi Chaps,

I've just bought a new laptop and am trying to synch my PC with it using an old(ish) Acer USB ALU 121 data link cable. The software that I have found doesn't work, as it was written for Win 95/98. (PC Link or acer usb connection - effectively the same). I tried both drivers but XP doesn't like it :(

Both my machines now run WinXP. Does anyone have any ideas of how I can get these machines to speak to each other, or if there is a generic software that will allow this to work. Pretty please?

Thanks very much

Mo

ORAC
31st Jan 2004, 20:35
The cable should be OK, it should work with the native XP drivers. The data link software may not.

Try running/ installing the program using the Win98 compatibility mode. Right mouse click on the *.exe file for the program, select properties, then compatibility, then select "run this program in compatibility mode for - Win98/Me", and see if it works.

Mo Heekan
31st Jan 2004, 21:21
Thanks for the reply ORAC.

I did all you suggested but there appears to be an INF file that is missing a 'necessary entry'? It then goes onto say this maybe because the 'INF file was written for WIN 95 or later. Weird, as I've tried several different sources to get the file; all with the same result.

I also tried the Win 95 and 98 driver. Same result. The USB isn't recognised.

Any other ideas please?

Thanks again

Mo Heekan
31st Jan 2004, 23:22
AHA, I managed to find Win 2000 drivers and they work :)

NEXT problem is: The transfer wizard only lets you use a serial port to transfer data :(

Helpppp............. :(

Naples Air Center, Inc.
1st Feb 2004, 01:31
Mo Heekan

If both machines have network card, get a CAT-5 Crossover Cable. Then you can transfer easily from one computer to another.

If you have broadband, then a router would allow you to share the broadband connection, protect you from hackers, and allow the computers to share files.

Take Care,

Richard

Bo Jingly
1st Feb 2004, 03:00
Thanks Richard,

What's a router and can you recommend one?

I used to be knowledgeable about computers but age has caught up :(

Thanks again

Naples Air Center, Inc.
1st Feb 2004, 04:43
Bo Jingly,

Routers are like a Hub/Switch with a Hardware Firewall Built in.

What is does is log into your Cable/DSL Modem for you and allows more than one computer to share the connection by handling all the internal traffic of your network and interfaces with the Internet automatically.

Here is an example of a Router:

http://images10.newegg.com/productimage/33-127-038-03.JPG

The one above also has a USB Printer Port on it so all the computers on your network can share a printer.

D-Link, Linksys, and Netgear all have very good routers.

Take Care,

Richard

Mo Heekan
3rd Feb 2004, 04:16
Cheers for your help Richard. I'll do some more research

Mo

Naples Air Center, Inc.
3rd Feb 2004, 04:45
Mo Heekan,

Always glad to help.

Take Care,

Richard