PDA

View Full Version : Current Maun Situation

Islanderguy
31st Jan 2004, 07:08
I've got a trip planned to come to Maun around the 15th to look for work and I was hoping to get some feedback from some local pilots in regards to the current scene. I've spoken with several companies and they all pretty much said that I should just come down there and meet people face to face. I'm curious what the opportunities are for someone with 600tt and 300h Islander time. Thanks in advance for any replies.

ZK-EBC
1st Feb 2004, 19:47
Im not in Maun myself but have talked to a mate of mine who just got a job there. Although he only had just over 300tt he managed to score a job on a 206 - mind you he got there early ie december. He said there's about 25 pilots in town competing for about 3 jobs.

EBC

Alta
4th Feb 2004, 06:51
I was in Maun about a year ago. To get on you've got to camp there for a month or two and get to know the guys there. Hang out at the bar, buy them some drinks. Can get 900 hours in a year there. Call some of the operators there to get an idea of what the situation is.

4HolerPoler
5th Feb 2004, 19:20
The African Embassy is just down the road from the European Embassy. Across the road from the Antartic Consulate. There's many companies willing to put up pilots in their compounds - start off with the Hilton, Holiday Inn; there's the Town Lodge. C'mon over.

SkySurfin
6th Feb 2004, 20:44
Caravan guy

Oh Golly! you cant be serious............can you?! Maybe you should get the ol' Atlas out and check if Africa is just one big country above South Africa, or not. Oh and you know what else.... It is sooooo dangerous over their now that pilots are not even safe in compunds and have taken to living in retired jail cells!!!

Nice one buddy

On a serious note...... Islander Guy- If you want a job in Maun then go there. Your islander time may help you out a little in getting a job, especially if youve been flying out of bush strips and know what its all about BUT you will still do at least a season in a 206 and/or 210 before you see the inside of a noice-producer again. Dont be deterred by the amount of guys looking for work..... If your the most suitable guy (best attitude and likes beer) then youll get the job. If your that guy then go........ Oh, it also helps if you can smooth the guys over with some sharp flying.

Best of Luck
Sufin