PDA

View Full Version : Win xp - Using a Scanner to Photocopy

mcdhu
30th Jan 2004, 22:33
I have just upgraded from Win 98 SE to Win xp Home Edition. I have a HP Scanjet 4200C and a HP Deskjet 815c printer and am using the organic xp drivers for both.

With Win 98, the window that came up when you clicked on the Scanjet icon, gave you the option to simply (photo) copy the document which was being scanned. Great!

With Win xp, all I can get is the Scanner and Camera Wizard which doesn't appear to give you the option of simply copying a doc. The only way around it appears to be to scan it in and then print it. A bit laborious if it's just kid's homework etc.

I guess I am missing something here, but am very new to xp. Can anybody help me to find a simple way to print copies of hard copy - if you see what I mean.

Many thanks,
mcdhu

zarniwoop
30th Jan 2004, 23:27
Did you use the default Windows XP drivers for the scanner, or dedicated drivers?

It might be worth checking the manufacturers website to see if there is a Win XP driver available.

I can't say for sure, but it might be that Win XP drivers don't come with all the bells and whistles that the manufacturer supplied.

Regards,

Z

FJJP
31st Jan 2004, 03:06
Agree with Z. First load the software from the CD, then go to the HP website and update the driver. that should do the trick...

mcdhu
31st Jan 2004, 03:12
Thanks for the replies so far.

Yes, I'm using the Win xp drivers.

Since the scanner is 3 years old, I guess the CD wouldn't contain any xp drivers. I'll have a look on the HP website for xp drivers then.

Cheers
mcdhu
:confused:

Naples Air Center, Inc.
31st Jan 2004, 04:19
mcdhu,

You should always to go the net for drivers, even if you bought the hardware that day. By the time the drivers are burned to CD, packaged and sent out with hardware, they are usually already out of date by a revision or two.

There is still a good use for those CDs, they make colorful coasters for your coffee table. ;)

Take Care,

Richard

mcdhu
31st Jan 2004, 22:00
Thanks Richard. Drivers downloaded and installed for the scanner. Strangely enough, the HP website offered no update to the xp default driver for the HP Deskjet 815C which is of a similar age to the scanner.

Cheers,
mcdhu

phreegreens
31st Jan 2004, 23:22
I had the same problem when I moved over to XP, found this handy piece of shareware that will scan and print a copy.. it's got a 30 day try before you buy, I've had it installed for best part of a year and it does what it says on the tin...

Photocopier Pro (http://www.nicocuppen.com/cphome.html)

No connection with the author just a satisfied customer..!!

g'luck :ok:

Naples Air Center, Inc.
1st Feb 2004, 01:36
phreegreens,

No need to worry about being accused of being associated with anything you recommend, in this forum.

That is one of the many reasons which make this forum the great place it is. ;)

Take Care,

Richard