PDA

View Full Version : Sydney Second Airport - Politics before commercial common sense

23 Metros In a Row
30th Jan 2004, 19:30
Labor announces preferred airport site

The Labor Party says Wilton is its preferred site for a second Sydney airport, but says it will explore other options in the NSW southern highlands.

Labor frontbencher Anthony Albanese said Labor would conduct environmental impact studies (EIS) into the suitability of Wilton if the party won government.

Wilton is a catchment area south-west of Sydney and was named along with Badgerys Creek in 1985 as one of the best two sites for a second airport.

Mr Albanese said that as the member for a western Sydney seat severely affected by aircraft noise, it was a not decision he would take lightly.

"Only if it sticks up will we consider (putting an airport there)," he told delegates.

"We will also look at whether there are any other green field sites we can consider."

Mr Albanese said local residents' concerns must also be measured against the national interest.

"It's not only about aircraft noise, it's about the economic future of Sydney, NSW and Australia."

Former leader Simon Crean last year set up a committee to select a second airport site ahead of this week's national conference.

The committee, which included Mr Albanese, also suggested other sites south of the Nepean River could be subject to an EIS.

John Murphy, who represents the seat of Lowe in Sydney's inner west said his seat and Mr Albanese's electorate of Grayndler were like departure lounges because of excessive aircraft noise.

He said under the Howard government, a second Sydney airport would never be built and aircraft noise in inner Sydney would only increase.

"Aircraft should be flying over cow paddocks and water and not over homes and schools," he said.

The federal government last year said it would reassess the need for a second airport in five years.

Opposition transport spokesman Martin Ferguson said other sites that might also be considered were Wells Creek, Sutton Forest and Berrima.

Mr Ferguson acknowledged that it would be difficult to make any airport popular with local residents, but Labor needed to honour its commitment.

"These decisions are not easy but ... your word is your bond, you must always keep your word," he said.

Mr Ferguson said it was also vital for party stability and unity that a final decision was made, and he praised former leader Simon Crean for tackling the issue last year.

"I move it in the context of trying to end an ugly and unnecessary debate that's torn the Labor Party apart for decades," he said.

İAAP 2004

Love to know what these guys are on.

Everywhere in the world where a significant city has built a second airport, traffic does not reduce from the primary zone, rather the volume of traffic increases significantly as the new zone provides a catylist for development.

Sure it may be a vote effort for Election 2004, but really.

blackbird71
31st Jan 2004, 14:00
Is there any reason why they cant just use Richmond air base as the location. It is not going to cost much to deck it out with all the trimming ie civii terminal etc..

Suppose the RAAF might have something to say about it...:{

Curved Approach
31st Jan 2004, 14:07
Everywhere in the world where a significant city has built a second airport, traffic does not reduce from the primary zone, rather the volume of traffic increases significantly as the new zone provides a catylist for development.

TRU THAT!!!!!

But hey, we live in a major city with an international airport, an airport that has a curfew because of its position. We all have to make a few sacrifices when it comes to noise pollution (not sacrifices for some of us ;)) if we want to enjoy the service which is provided from the airport. And its really only in a 10 mile radius or so where the aircraft are still fairly low and at a high noise level.

DirtyPierre
31st Jan 2004, 15:04
I seem to remember that an airport for Melbourne was built in the paddocks with only cows to fly over. Tullamarine they called it.

Second airport for Sydney - why not Richmond. At least the locals are already used to the noise.

hadagutful
31st Jan 2004, 19:38
This debate continues ad nauseum.

Firstly, from my reading, Sydney is not at full capacity yet even with the curfew.
It is a great asset so close to the city centre.

I agree with Blackbird 71 and DirtyPierre, Richmond RAAF Base has much of the infrastructure, is not surrounded by suburbia and is within reasonable distance of city area.
Why not make it a joint civil military facility, there are heaps of them in America working together OK.
And surely more of the GA traffic could use BK.
Suggesting places like Goulburn and outer Woop Woop is just nonsense.

Same old situation though, everyone wants easy access to a good airport, they just don't want it in their backyard.

WALLEY2
31st Jan 2004, 21:10
Finally I can rest easy,

A politician says" they have given their word and they must honour it"

I must admit I did not believe that polies did that:

Its L.A.W. LAW

No child will live in poverty

No Native title claim will take more than 3 months

The children were thrown overboard by their asylumn seeking parents

Great to see they have taken to telling the truth and keeping their word.:D

ZK-NSJ
1st Feb 2004, 02:35
aircraft that used to approach kingsfoird smith, used to fly over paddocks and cows, but then people built houses there, if they do build a new airport, they should have a 25km exclusion zone all around so the same problem wont happen again

spinout
1st Feb 2004, 03:50
Whats wrong with Newcastle's Williamtown Airport!

Its NSW that needs a second airport not just Sydney.

If the RAAF dont like to share send them to Evens Head, that way two communities would benefit, Newcastle is just over two hours by car, there is already a train connection, the airport is on the coast and the locals are already used to some noise.
Newcastle from what i understand actually want to be NSW's Second Airport.

:confused:

Ascend Charlie
1st Feb 2004, 05:52
Richmond would not be acceptable because of the towns on each end of the runway - Windsor and Richmond. They bleat enough about the mil planes, they will scream their tits off if civil jets started using it.

Runway can't be extended, disappears in fog fairly regularly.

Wherever some political drongo wants to put it, other drongos will start their nimbying.

It will never be built anywhere near Sydney, because no political party has the spine to do it.

Bring Jeff Kennett to NSW and see what happens.

Three Bars
1st Feb 2004, 06:06
Totally agree with Ascend Charlie.

One of the senior officers at Richmond once proposed that a small "terminal" be built at Richmond and that a weekly civvie service be allowed to fly into Richmond. The locals went ballistic and fought it to a standstill very quickly.

Those that think that the Richmond locals would be overjoyed at the prospect of even more noise are dead wrong - and I am one of them. The occasional RAAF/USAF movements are okay and the locals have had a very good relationship with the military for many years. This is vastly different to the prospect of a jet overhead every three-four minutes. Jim Thorn of Australian Aviation has pushed the Richmond option for years, but I think that he ignores the possibility of a public backlash here as well.

Then there are the operational aspects that have already been raised by others. All that is needed is a politician with the balls to tell it as it is - that KSA will always be there - SO GET USED TO IT! Those that have bought houses around KSA would not need to be rocket scientists to realise that there is an airport nearby - and probably got a discounted price because of it. Plus, airports alwys seem to ATTRACT people. I remember when Tullamarine Airport was opened and was known as Ballarat International Airport - now look at it! Won't be long before the residents around Tullamarine will be after curfews :mad:

DirtyPierre
1st Feb 2004, 06:30
Okay, so Richmond might not be the answer.

And Willy is out in the sticks with not much around it, and civie jets are a hell of a lot quieter than a FA18.

But is Willie really the answer. don't know if I'd like to spend 14 hours on a jet just to arrive, spend 1 1/2 hours getting through customs, then 2 hours getting to Sydney by train. So will it really be a useful airfield.

alangirvan
1st Feb 2004, 13:47
If they build at Wilton, it would be ideal for an Australian version of Ryanair, who like to fly people to a place that is about two hours drive from where they want to go.

Sydney Wilton Airport to Melbourne Avalon Airport, anyone?

Curved Approach
1st Feb 2004, 15:46
people that complain about airport noise really ****s me to tears...dont buy a house in close proximity to an airport if you dont like the noise, places like richmond and windsor are largely built around the airport as that is where there original sorta base came from. but i do understand at RIC that it is a fairly quiet RAAF base and it is almost unfair to increase flights there substantially. People will protest anywhere a 2nd airport is proposed, however i do see Wilton as viable.........

Raider1
1st Feb 2004, 18:02
In an earlier life I was working for the Commonwealth Govt.....busy acquiring land for the second SYD airport at Badgerys Creek. Then many years later the Govt shelved it. Too many noisy voters purchased cheap land in the area (because it was near a proposed airport) and then later protested loudly about the prospect of an airport.
Can't see the new proposal being any different.
But then labor is not it power is it. So easy to make promises

Duff Man
1st Feb 2004, 19:43
Wilton sounds much more reasonable now the M5 east is finished - less than one hour by car to city centre (peak hour delays magically fixed with extra lanes).

Richmond would be ok with a north/south runway constructed... mitigates the noise issue... some minor river and road diversions not to mention a cat3c ILS for the ~100 foggy mornings each year.

SM4 Pirate
2nd Feb 2004, 06:11
someone even did the basics : http://www.tierney.com.au/pag/

This sounds lovely, until you look at the noise footprints and transpose them; transposed noise means transposed flight paths, this would be 4 runways, but not independant, and ATC nightmare, I would suggest it would be no more efficient than the existing two bits of tar; with the exceptinon of the very Eastern strip with Northern departures in the southerly direction... Left turn out of the way...

This is the way to go, but not like that... It's also very ugly... Such is life... The environemtal loby would never allow anything to be built in the water, the impact of the 'greens' last time was a nightmare and that was just a bit extending into Botany Bay; imagine 10-20 times that? Remember Botany
Bay is very industrial, not exactly of the coast of a National Park now is it...

Not to mention the million dollar views disturbed with aircraft flying through them; The noise footprint with a sea breeze; right in the middle of major money suburbs I'd guess.

Bring any second major airport on; don't wait until you have reached capacity at SY; then it takes 5-7 years to do something about it, that's after constructuion starts.

I also agree with earlier posters that the second airport will not, in all likelihood, reduce the usage of the first; not unless domestic operators are given financial assistance (reason) to go there; combined with a high speed train network so that it's 30 mins to downtown; like Hong Kong (which isn't so high speed, but express).

Bottle of Rum