PDA

View Full Version : Speedtouch 330 Platinum + Pipex ADSL Problem

DeepC
30th Jan 2004, 15:51
Folks,

I spent a fruitless eveving last night trying to set up my ADSL modem via the Pipex xtreme solo2go package.

It seems that the software bundled with my modem was not capable of being run succesfully on an XP machine. They pointed me in the direction of the latest beta drivers but the website address was not found. I searched the speedtouch website and downloaded the latest (R3) drivers for the modem.

I now have the modem set up with both green lights on. I go to Speedtouch internet connection and type in my details, I then hit connect and nothing seems to happen apart from interminttent 'boink' noises emanating form my speakers. The login window does not change and it is though I had not pressed connect.

Any ideas?

I realise it is a bit specific but I am tearing my hair out over this one!

Thanks

DeepC

Naples Air Center, Inc.
30th Jan 2004, 23:33
DeepC,

I do not know this modem or the DSL Service in the U.K. so bare with me a little.

First, is this an internal or external modem? If it is external, how does it connect to your computer? (USB or Ethernet.)

Second, how old is this modem? (Not to have drivers for WinXP years after the OS was released.)

With WinXP, you already have PPPoE native to the OS, so you do not even need any drivers or 3rd party programs to connect to the net using an Ethernet External DSL.

Take Care,

Richard

DeepC
31st Jan 2004, 05:25
Richard,

It is an external USB Modem. Powered via the USB socket.
The modem is suspect. I am picking up bad vibes reading Google Groups. It is a brand new modem with the latest drivers installed. It seems that there is a problem with the modem.

I have a few more tricks up my sleeve to try and get it working but it looks like I am going to have to pop in and see my ISP (Pipex).

They are based a two minute walk from where I work so I can go and speak to them face to face and under that threat they have promised they will check my modem while I wait and replace it there and then if it does not work.

XP does not recognise that the drivers have been installed and therefore does not add it to the list of modems as it should. This is a known problem. I get other problems with the modem which are unknown problems as far as my ISP is concerned.

Thanks for your interest.

DeepC

Naples Air Center, Inc.
31st Jan 2004, 06:07
DeepC,

Let us know what solution Pipex comes up with for you.

Take Care,

Richard

Diverse
1st Feb 2004, 00:34
Deep C,

I've got exactly the same set up as yourself,(Pipex,XP, Speedtouch 330 USB)

I have absolutely no problems and I'm even using the drivers that were on the CD that came with the modem.

Mind you when I set it up I forgot to restart the PC before plugging in the modem. The thing flatly refused to do anything. I removed the modem rebooted the PC then plugged the modem back in, no more problems. Still no problems after 3 months.

DeepC
2nd Feb 2004, 16:32
Still no joy.

I work less than a mile from the Pipex headquarters so I am going to go this afternoon and get them to test my modem.

I have pinpointed a problem with the drivers. The driver installs fine. No problems as long as it is done directly after a reboot. Then windows tries to detect the modem which it does. It then tries to install the drivers(?). At this point if flashes up a message saying. "New Hardware Found - A problem occured during installation of the new hardware. Your new harware may not function correctly"

When I then go into device manager and look at the Speedtouch in the list I check the properties and it says "this hardware has no device driver installed" yet if I click on the drivers tab it lists the driver correctly.

So Windows cannot comunicate with the modem. Probably a modem problem then unless there is a problem with the registyr preventing it from storing the driver details.

Such fun!

DeepC

E-Liam
2nd Feb 2004, 20:24
Hi,

I had this problem with a friend's machine the other day following a reinstall of XP (not by me). It was NTL Cable via external modem, but the process should be similar. I put in the Cd, autorun... nothing.

The solution was to search the CD for the *.inf (installation) file and double click it. Daft, but it worked first time. :)

Just a thought.

Cheers

Liam

DeepC
2nd Feb 2004, 20:44
I tried that on every inf file on the CD. No joy. Seems that the modem needs to pull some info down into it's memory from the PC. It fails to do this.

I have just doorstepped Pipex (Nice Offices by the way, Aston Martin parked outside!).

They have exchanged my modem for an older modem, The bordeaux (manufacturer's colour naming, not mine) coloured version of the speedtouch 330. They have also given me an older version of the drivers. Interesting to see how that works.

I'll try it when I get home later.

DeepC

DeepC
3rd Feb 2004, 00:19
Success!

All working ok now. Deleted all speedtouch drivers. Installed R2 drivers and all works perfectly.

Am just amazing myself with the connection speeds I am getting surfing. Have downloaded Kerio.

Thanks

DeepC

Naples Air Center, Inc.
3rd Feb 2004, 01:06
DeepC,

That is great news!

Take Care,

Richard