PDA

View Full Version : The Million Dollar Fire

LowNSlow
30th Jan 2004, 14:58
My dad was telling me a story the other day. It was about the time he was in Canada during the war as an airframe tech on Ansons in a Navigator Training Unit based in Charlottetown (sp) on Prince Edward Island.

For some reason the main hangar caught fire destroying all the Ansons and my dad was one of the last ones out cos he couldn't find the door amongst all the smoke. He became the only casualty of the incident as he eventually ran out of the main door into a fire engine which knocked him out!.

He can't remember if it was 1941 or 1942. Anybody out there remember this event or even better have pictures of Charlottetown?

Aerohack
30th Jan 2004, 18:38
There was a hangar fire at Charlottetown on 19 May 1943 that destroyed at least 10 Anson Is operated by 32 Air Navigation School and 31 General Reconnaissance School. Could that be the one, or too late for the fire your dad escaped from?

LowNSlow
30th Jan 2004, 18:53
Aerohack that sounds like one as not long after he went for Flight Engineer training back in the UK at the end of '43. I'd forgotten it was No.32 ANS and I'm a lot younger than my Dad. :hmm: :hmm:

Now that I've got this I can go Googling so thanks very much for the info :ok: :ok: