PDA

View Full Version : "Known traffic," but known for how long?

karrank
30th Jan 2004, 12:02
Again from the Launy incident ATSB report:

Mention is made in the report that all would have been OK if the VFR flight had made some sort of broadcast, making him "known traffic" to ATC.

Since routine traffic information to (and about) VFR stopped the only "known VFR" in G & E airspace have been those I can see on radar and those required to be in contact with me (e.g. parachuting aircraft in E or dropping into E or G from a higher class.)

If a broadcast I hear is at all relevant to an IFR I would say nothing, as they would have listened if interested. From that point onward I will ignore it, especially as he wasn't supposed to make such a broadcast in the first place. It just is not practical for us to keep track of such information, especially in areas of high traffic density. We have been given no tools to do so and have been encouraged for years to not do it.

The ATSB (& I have heard rumblings from ASA management also) seem to want to enshrine such broadcasts and promote them. A horrendous concept! Does anybody else want to back to LLAMP?