PDA

View Full Version : Importnace of astigmatism???

-<M4v3r1ck>-
30th Jan 2004, 10:01
Good morning (very, very morning),

This is my first post having perused the forums for a few days. Now I know there's a lot of info here about JAA class I medicals esp. to do with eyesight but I'm afraid I've got to put this out there and its something thats not treally been commented mucj I don't think.

There is only one aspect of the class I medical I think I might have a problem with and thats my eyesight CYL reading (astigmatism).

I am very slightly shortsighted in both eyes but this is in the region of 0.25 and requires the weakest lenses available for shortsightedness, so this is no prob (the limits being 5.00).

The thing is that I have astigmatism of 2.75 in both eyes (outside initial standards of 2.00 but just within renewal standards of 3.00).

I've sent a letter/prescription to the CAA and am currenty waiting for a reply...I'll ring them if nothing comes through in the next few days. In the mean time I just had to get a bit of opinion form the forums...!

I have read that the CAA are quite good in that they treat things like this on a case by case basis. I wondered if you think they'd see the high astigmatism as not soooo bad seen as my shortsightedness is so low? Or is astigmatism regarded as more serious than short sight?

I know no one can give me concrete advice...only the CAA can do that, but any perosnal experience/opinion would be nice to read.

I'm 22 and about to graduate from uni this summer so am currently a little worried about my medical eligibility to start an ATPL course.

Cheers guys,

A slightly nervous Maverick

P.S. I don't think this astigmatism would be a problem for an FAA class I. Does anyone know how the CAA would view a candidate like myself but who has an FAA medical (but no flying licence)?

Cheers again,

Mav :D

Flyin'Dutch'
30th Jan 2004, 17:07
Hi Mav,

If you are within renewal range but outside the initial range you seem to stand a fair chance that they will let you go through.

However they have the final say and therefore it would be best to speak to them so you can have it from the horse's mouth so to say.

Those with 'foreign' medicals and licenses seem to be looked upon favourably too but whether a medical alone suffices, I do not know.

You correctly state that the FAA class one would be no problem but that is of limited use if you want to pursuit a JAR licence.

All the best and let us know how you get on.

FD

Say again s l o w l y
30th Jan 2004, 17:08
I have an astigmatism in my left eye and it has never been an issue. The standard for initals and renewals has changed, with I think upto -5 dioptres being allowed now. There is a move to try and get to the ICAO standard of as long as your eyes can be corrected then anything is o.k. but as usual we got a halfway house.

I think you'll be fine since your eyesight sounds similar to mine, but wait to see what some of the more learned members of this forum say as I maybe completely wrong.

Welcome to Pprune.

-<M4v3r1ck>-
1st Feb 2004, 02:28
Cheers guys. Like you say yourselves it all comes down to what the CAA says but I'm encouraged by the responses. I'll post here again when I find out more so others in a similar situation can have a heads-up.

Cheers guys,

Mav

expedite_climb
1st Feb 2004, 18:17
Also it useful to know that apparently if you have an FAA commercial licence and medical (class one), your initial UK/JAR Class One is to renewal standards. Bit of a costly / lengthy way to go but I know people doing it.

-<M4v3r1ck>-
5th Feb 2004, 02:31
Hello chaps,

Phoned the mighty CAA today and was told I'd more thank likely get a class I with a Deviation :O They just want me to send in an older prescription to see it its fairly stable. I'm faxing that off tomorrow. Hopefully it'll all be acceptable - my short-sigtedness has actually improved! The astigmatism has gone from 2.25 (1997) to 2.50 (1999) to 2.75 (2004) but I'm hoping this is all OK.

Will keep you posted if your in similar sitauations...

Cheers,

Mav

P.S. Anyone any experience of deviations? How they work? When/if they're lifted? etc.

Flyin'Dutch'
5th Feb 2004, 02:44
M,

Those changes were due to the fact that you were still a growing lad over those years so hopefully not more change from now on!

I believe the deviation gets lifted upon issuance of your licence.

HTH

FD

-<M4v3r1ck>-
11th Feb 2004, 18:44
Had a call from Adrian Chorley yesterday (chief optometrist at the CAA) and he said that my stability was fine but in order to be get a Class I I'd have to have a JAR PPL. He recommended going for the Class I which, all going well, would be issued as a Class II...then upgraded to a Class I (Deviation) when I gain my PPL and have started commercial training.

Bit of a roundabout way of doing things but I'm sure it'll be character-building :p

Got to somehow finance a PPL now though...and that damn medical...whilst being a lowly student...damn again :confused:

Mav

mazzy1026
11th Feb 2004, 19:37
Mav - I am in a similar situation to you. I am deciding whether to just get class 2, then the PPL, then the class 1 - the thing is I dont want my eyes to get any worse (they shouldnt as the prescription shows).

In my opinion, the fact that you have to get a JAR PPL first is just a bloody money maker and really gets on my t1ts.

Best of luck mate and please let us all know how you get on.

Lee :ok:

-<M4v3r1ck>-
11th Feb 2004, 23:22
Yeah its not ideal and the logic is a bit lame but if thats what they want I suppose I'll jump through the hoops for them ;)

Positive side is that I'll see how I like the actual flying so its not allll bad. The reason I think I'll try to go for the class I straight off is that it should be a lot cheaper to upgrade the class II I'll hopefully get (from doing the class I and "failing" the eyesight bit) than going Class II then Class I...depends on the money available at the time though I suppose...don't be under any illusion, I'm always hovering above broke (uni'll do that) and I'm getting into one of the most expensive things you can do...should be interesting...!

Good luck to you too mate,

Mav

mazzy1026
12th Feb 2004, 02:24
I know exactly how you feel mate - I too am a student at Uni.

My plan is to go to get the class 1 and if all fails then i suppose il have to settle for the class 1 !

PM me if you have any progress !

Lee

Speedbird19
12th Feb 2004, 05:27
I dont understand how you can even think about going straight into doing an ATPL without having contemplated doing a PPL!!

How do you know you'll even like flying or for that matter have the apptitude?

Its all very well worrying about ur eyes, medicals and ATPL's but why dont you just crack on with the PPL, I mean that is going to take you at least 5 months.....

But at least get in an A/C and do a few hours first!

-<M4v3r1ck>-
12th Feb 2004, 05:51
Speedbird19 - I hear what you're saying and I have done a number of trial flights where I was given control for the majority of the time but the main reason for going for the ATPL straight off is that there is sponsorship out there (all be it scarce) and I am an independent student in that I pay for all my expenses with a combination of my student loan and part-time job. It leaves very very little left over...especially for somthing like flying...possibly one of the most expensive activities you can do.

That and the fact that I've always had the idea of flying professionally but only now think I'm at the stage where I can really go for it/am competitive. I'm at a good age (early twenties), am about to complete my degree and have had a lot of (varied and useful) work experience. I persoanlly think all of this will stand me in good stead in my chosen career, make me more competitive and I'll always have something to fall back on.

I'm going to start my PPL training just as soon as I've visited Gatwick for the medical. I'll have graduated by then and can finance it with a job.

Cheers,

Mav

mazzy1026
12th Feb 2004, 18:45
MAV I say just go for it mate ! By doing an ATPL you will be starting with your PPL anyway - it is obvious that you have this flying "bug" that most people have, and it is impossible to satisfy until you are in the sky !

Lee :)

Power Up
12th Feb 2004, 20:33
Before I even started the flying training for the PPL(H) i went for a class 1 so I knew that I wouldn't end up paying a fortune for the PPL and then get rejected prior to starting the commercials (already knew I wanted to fly from previous experience). Now just in a great deal of debt whilst I prepare to study