PDA

View Full Version : Is your manager a PSYCHOPATH?

Kaptin M
30th Jan 2004, 07:47
The Washington Post

So your boss is charming, impetuous, single-minded, and has a bit of a temper. Uh, oh – you might be working for a psychopath.
And you say you’re working for one of those New Age companies in a constant state of flux, with few rules, little supervision, and even less bureaucracy? Uh, oh – you may be working for a company that’s a psycho-magnet!

Industrial psychologist Paul Bablak, and forensic psychologist Robert Hare of the University of British Columbia, claim that psychopathic supervisors are remarkably common in today’s new style work environment..
Their research shows that these volatile types seem particularly drawn to firms where the only rule is there are no rules.

Bablak and Hare are co-authors of “Snakes in Suits; When Psychopaths Go to Work” – due out this year. The book is based , in part, on a test they devised to identify workplace emotional misfits.
The workplace test asks the boss’ boss, colleagues, and subordinates, to rate how well certain phrases describe the supervisor. Descriptions include:
“Comes across as smooth, polished and charming”…
Lies to co-workers, customers, or business associates with a straight face”…
Has created a power network in the organization….
Fakes sincerity with great conviction”.

“There are 3 basic motivations of psychopaths,” Bablak asserts. “They love to play games, they’re thrill-seekers willing to take risks, and they like to hurt people. When you look to see what makes a successful business person, it’s someone willing to take risks, who likes to ‘play the corporate game’ to advance (him/her self) within the company.”

Bablak claims that today’s rolling corporate environments tend to favour the psychopath personality. “The business world has changed. The old dinosaur model of an overly structured bureaucracy with many rules and closed culture doesn’t cut it any more,” he said. “Companies have to be swift, fast, less bureaucratic. This is an open invitation to the individual with psychopathic tendencies.”

Hmm, I can think of a couple of people working in some airlines who would MORE than qualify, using the above criteria!!

I feel that this is better suited to the Rumours & News Forum than here, Mr/Ms Mod.

Tom the Tenor
30th Jan 2004, 21:00
Yes, I can just see it, Irish Institute of Technologies offering Bachelor degrees in Psychopathological Management - the empowering all new business model for running call centres and sweat shops around the world!

Northern Chique
30th Jan 2004, 21:03
maybe suited to here.... in the health industry where such bosses are rife, we call em work place bullies!

MidnightSpecial
30th Jan 2004, 23:15
This type of boss sounds just like a chief pilot at a commuter airline I flew for on the West Coast.

If his mouth was moving, he was lying. He started a wild rumor about me and I was dealing with the repercussions for years.

MS

Indiana Jones
1st Feb 2004, 16:10
Mine's a 5ft 3 gay frenchman.....didnt I luck out.......??