PDA

View Full Version : LASORS - Doublespeak?

skeet surfer
29th Jan 2004, 19:13
I passed my JAR-FCL ATPL Theoretical exams 2.5 years ago and have yet to complete either the CPL or an IR due to financial constraints. I have managed to raise some cash recently and can now do one of them (but not both).

Question: Which should I do first? Bearing in mind the acceptance period (pasted below, LASORS 2004, Subpart J, Section 1.7 (part))

If I get an IR within the 36 months, can I then do the CPL course in another 18 months time (outside the acceptance period) without having to pass any further theoretical exams? LASORS seems to say 'Yes' and 'No' ...... I am very confused......
I am still awaiting from a reply from CAA FCL to this query, but any advice would be welcome. Cheers

'A pass in the ATPL theory examinations will be
accepted for the issue of a CPL or IR during the 36
months from the end of the month of the date of
the final pass in the examinations. Provided that an
IR is obtained during this period, a pass in the ATPL
theoretical knowledge examinations will remain
valid (for the purpose of ATPL issue) for a period of
7 years from the validity date of the most recent
renewal IR entered in the CPL. However, if a
professional licence with IR is not gained during the
36 month period, the ATPL theory credit will lapse.
Candidates would have to re-pass the ATPL or IR
theoretical knowledge examinations before an IR
could be granted'

Dufwer
29th Jan 2004, 19:42
skeet surfer, the way I read it the first sentence of your quote sums up all you need to know.
'A pass in the ATPL theory examinations will be accepted for the issue of a CPL or IR during the 36 months from the end of the month of the date of the final pass in the examinations.'
All the rest is with reference to the validity of the exams for an ATPL issue. Unless you do both the CPL and IR in the 0.5 years you will need to resit exams.

D

RichardH
29th Jan 2004, 21:28
I regretfully concur that you have six months left in which to do BOTH the CPL & IR.

I presume it is 2.5 years since the FINAL pass of your exams.

Though the first sentence is certainly relevant the last sentence "However, if a professional licence with IR is not granted... the ATPL theory credit will lapse." is the final nail.

It shall be interesting to see what CAA FCL actually say though.

Though 'skeet surfer' I sympathise greatly with your predicament and I don't know your personal circumstances - there is a painful lesson here for all wannabes.

DON'T start your flying training unless you know you shall have both the funds and time to complete within the acceptance period. It nearly ALWAYS takes longer and more expense than you think and you must be prepared for this.

Anyway 'skeet surfer' I sincerely hope something works out for you and maybe the CAA FCL might grant you an extension.